Skourene scripts

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Skourene scripts

Post by Drydic »

I've been going over the Skourene history pages (especially the flash file-that format is immensely helpful, not having to load each map seperately is great for those of us on snail-like connections), and noticed something on the 827 map. It's very faint, but in several places it seems to show language varieties of the various areas, or possibly alphabetical areas. There are Engidorid (around the territory of Engidori), Imutelik (around Meŋeland), Itilik, Komandik, Miligendik, Gutlelik (I can't totally make this one out. I'm generalising from the fact it's glossed under the lands of Gutleli), and ?Gasinurik (it's right on the northern border of Papliopagimi, and runs across several land features).

EDIT: nevermind. I just noticed the scripts checkbox, which shows all of the above. and the Papliogimic one is Gasiburik.

Just so this wasn't a completely meaningless post, I'm going to ask whether any specifics of the Gurdagor, Echendi/Gelihurendi, or T?uro proper (i.e., the Jippirasti alphabet) exist, besides

Image sprand, from the Almean Historical Atlas.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Skourene scripts

Post by zompist »

Darth Drydic wrote:I[...] noticed something on the 827 map. It's very faint,
I think this is a bug in Flash... a layer with alpha of 0% is supposed to be invisible, but in fact shows up slightly.
Just so this wasn't a completely meaningless post, I'm going to ask whether any specifics of the Gurdagor, Echendi/Gelihurendi, or T?uro proper (i.e., the Jippirasti alphabet) exist, besides

The Jippirasti alphabet does exist... on the other hand, T?uro isn't worked out very well. I'll probably look at both of them together some time...

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

zompist wrote:
Darth Drydic wrote:I[...] noticed something on the 827 map. It's very faint,
I think this is a bug in Flash... a layer with alpha of 0% is supposed to be invisible, but in fact shows up slightly.

The Jippirasti alphabet does exist... on the other hand, T?uro isn't worked out very well. I'll probably look at both of them together some time...
I was wondering what does the Jipperasti alphabet look like?

Last edited by Serali on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Zereskaoate"]I am, however a slave to the boingies. [img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/Boingies/th_thsau222jpg-2.gif[/img][/quote]

[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/th_1-1.gif[/img]

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Serali wrote:I was wondering what does the Jipperasti alphabet look like?
Since nobody has answered this yet, just in case...

The only example of the Jippurasti alphabet that has appeared online is the entry in the Historical Atlas of Almea describing the strokes that make up Drydic's example of sprand above -- look at the entry for 1750c (containing information on scripts and literacy). Any further glimpses may have to wait until Mark finished fleshing out the T?uro grammar, I fear (unless it appears in the Almeopedia, say...). :wink:

p@,
Glenn

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

Hi I went to the link you said and all I see is the map and no script examples.

Last edited by Serali on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Zereskaoate"]I am, however a slave to the boingies. [img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/Boingies/th_thsau222jpg-2.gif[/img][/quote]

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Serali wrote:Hi I went to the link you said and all I see is the map and no script examples.
Hi, Serali!

There are comments under each of the maps in the Historical Atlas, but your screen resolution may not be letting you see them; see Mark's Atlas Help page for details. In my case, I'm usually using my laptop (which doesn't allow a larger screen resolution) or my parents' desktop (which I don't change), so I use the F11 key in Windows to achieve the same effect by dropping the bottom taskbar and expanding IE to full-screen mode.

The passage on the Jippirasti alphabet in the map commentary for 1750c reads as follows:
One new script has been devised since the last map-- the Jippirasti alphabet. It is a handsome and ingenious script. Strictly speaking there is not a letter for each sound, but a stroke; rules allow the strokes to be combined into a unique but decomposable glyph for each word. For instance, Image p could be expanded to Image pa, thence
Image pra or Image pan, and even to Image sprand. The Tzhuro attribute the script to Jippir (God) himself, who taught it directly to Babur. Unbelievers suggest that Babur adopted the idea of the Skourene syllabary, which also contains both alphabetic and syllabic elements.
And that's all we know -- for now... :wink:

p@,
Glenn

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

Hi, Thanks alot! :mrgreen:

Last edited by Serali on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Serali wrote:Hi, Thanks alot! :mrgreen:
You're welcome. :)

p@,
Glenn