Your Favorite Almea Language

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Neek wrote:Hands down, though, Elkar?l is Mark's best work yet.
I was about to use almost exactly the same words until you did first.
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Nikura
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Nikura »

I like Xurnash...
This is my first (short) post here on #Almea :D
[b]Nek vatar s-voli nasnap migi dmuxa k ti[/b]

-> [url=http://www.conlanger.com/cbbfr/]Quand les francophones se mettent à parler de conlangues...[/url]

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

I really wish I had them in book form

Post by Delthayre »

I prefer Flaidish the most. It's somewhere between familiar and alien in wonderful way. However I do really like Old Skourene, which satisfied my anticipation handily.
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

I've not really studied any of them. I liked all the syntax in the Axunasin description, though.
Last edited by Salmoneus on Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Shm Churmey
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Shm Churmey »

Hard to pick one... I really like Elkar?l and Old Skourene for the grammar.
But Xurnash just sounds great, and is pretty promising.

Trebor
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Trebor »

Hmm..........

Hard to say.

Kebreni probably comes first, then Old Skourene, then Elkar?l, and finally Axunashin.

Or maybe the other way around.

:shrug:

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

I've never been able to decide on this. Kebreni has a nice sound but I don't like the apostrophes. I also like Isma?n but I don't like the underlines. I find Flaidish very nice and Old Skourene is very interesting.
vec

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

vegfarandi wrote:Kebreni has a nice sound but I don't like the apostrophes.
It doesn't actually have apostrophes... now that I can use Unicode I'll have to update the Kebreni pages. And heck, Isma?n, too.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Yay! That's great! I really look forward to it. That'll really increase my liking in those languages.
vec

Peacekeeper
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Peacekeeper »

I can't say I am an expert on the languages of Almea or anything - in fact this is my very first post in this forum - but I always had a thing for inflecting languages, so I would have to say that I think Cu?zi looks quite interesting.
[size=200]L・ロビン・ニルソン[/size]

[url]http://www.politicalcompass.org[/url]
[b]Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.21[/b]

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Dearest to me would be Obenzayet, of the langs with a semblance of a web prescence. I do belive that I've based one branch of one of my families quite heavily on the Naviu system, as I understand it.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Legros
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Legros »

Verdurian. When I discovered it, I understood why some people fall in love with the French language! :)

Everytime I hear people speaking in Portuguese, I think that Verdurian must sound half Portuguese, half French.

Close second: Barakhinei.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

zompist wrote:
vegfarandi wrote:Kebreni has a nice sound but I don't like the apostrophes.
It doesn't actually have apostrophes... now that I can use Unicode I'll have to update the Kebreni pages. And heck, Isma?n, too.
Mark, when you're designing your langs, do you work on the computer or on paper? Or a mixture of both?
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Rory wrote:Mark, when you're designing your langs, do you work on the computer or on paper? Or a mixture of both?
Verdurian was created on paper; the rest were all done on the computer.

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Raphael »

Verdurian. I simply like the way it sound (at least if my reading-out-loudly of it is anything like how it's supposed to sound). (Allthough when it's about cultures, I'm more into the modern Flaids and the Xurnese).
did you send enough shit to guarantee victory?

aanimo
Niš
Niš

Post by aanimo »

I personally prefer Elkaril, possibly just because of the writing system (which is absolutely awesome). Verdurian is next though, as it is the only one I know anything of.
[quote="candrodor"]
You know what'd be evil? Contrastive enharmonic equivalents.
[/quote]

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

I'm going to try and learn Flaidish, when I've finished the Verdurian Practical Course. That's if Zomp doesn't get the Axunashin course done first.

Gremlins
Sanci
Sanci
Location: The western spiral arm of Great Britain (we don't have toilets)

Post by Gremlins »

Cadhinor has got to be Zomp's best. It reminds of Greek, Latin, Sanskrit and Persian all in glorious package.

Cad'inor liubai!
[quote="dinnae"][quote="Sano"]I'm a Homo sapien, does that count?[/quote]

Only if you go Erectus in the presence of the same sex.[/quote]

Tuli
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Tuli »

To put in my two cents, I'd say my favorite is Kebreni, followed closely by Old Skourene, both probably because they're so different from English, and they have awesome verbal systems. Kebreni reminds me of Japanese, with the grammar and vocabulary. Źe, h'em kine eh'c nuitsu kebren nizgu śaida.
Noranaya died again. Resurrection pending.

kodé
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kodé »

Wede:i just feels right to me... I like the agglutination of morpheme (and donuts).

Elkarîl is a tour de force of linguistic creativity, what with the anaphora, the colors, the locatives, the syntax (I never thought I'd be so amazed by fixed word order) and the phonology, which is my favorite of all the languages (altho' I still can't really get those implosives right).

Kebreni and Old Skourene are also very enjoyable, tho' less intuitive for me than Wede:i.

Individually, the Eastern languages aren't quite as fun, but taken as a whole, I believe they make up for their IE-ness (which unfortunately is a minus in my book, just because I'm most familiar with the IE family)

Gond
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Gond »

I love them all, though I don't know much of them all. I am in love with Verdurian, Cadhinor and Cuêzi because they remind me of all Romance languages, Latin and Ancient Greek. Not just because of their structure but because of their history. Lübao soa Sfaha!
Legros wrote:Everytime I hear people speaking in Portuguese, I think that Verdurian must sound half Portuguese, half French.
Portuguese, in spelling? European or Brazilian one?
Non omne id quod fulget aurum est.

kuroda
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kuroda »

As cool as conscripts are, I have to say that the Latin transcription of Flaidish is possibly my favorite -- it's just so... I dunno, neat. Nifty.

Linguistically, I'd have to say Wede:i; it seems aesthetically pleasing in a couple domains simultaneously. I get a big kick out of Verdurian for the "spot the Earthly cognate/source" fun it offers, too.

To be honest, though, it's not the linguistics per se of the Almean languages that make them the conlanging gold standard to my mind; it's their presentation and depth.

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

Legros wrote:Everytime I hear people speaking in Portuguese, I think that Verdurian must sound half Portuguese, half French.
Personally, Verdurian reminds me of Romanian more than anything.
Eddy wrote:I would have to say Elkaril, as most of the others were too European.
I would say that the Cadhinorian languages are definitely European-like, but I personally think Wede:i looks rather like Indonesian. There also appears to be a Quechua influence in some of them... although nothing like in Huttese.

BG

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

A year ago I said Ismain and Flaidish; now I'm thinking Kebreni and Old Skourene.

But I like them all...

Chengjiang
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Chengjiang »

BGMan wrote:Personally, Verdurian reminds me of Romanian more than anything.
I got that vibe too! (As long as we're talking solely about the sound.) It also kind of reminds me of a mixture of ancient and modern Greek, what with the syllable structure and the general sound of the articles and case endings.
BGMan wrote:I personally think Wede:i looks rather like Indonesian.
Again, I agree. Primarily because of the syllable structure, I would think. Syllable structure goes a long way in determining the "flavor" of a language, or at least so it seems to me.

Having said that, it also sounds a bit like a blend of Japanese and some strangely polysyllabic Chinese dialect. To a lesser extent its descendants and the Axunaic family also sound a bit like that.
Eddy wrote:I would have to say Elkaril, as most of the others were too European.
Eddy: I could understand your calling Cadhinor and its descendants "too European", since they are deliberately designed to resemble European languages, but it's that word "most" that puzzles me. Do Kebreni, Old Skourene, Wedei, Flaidish, and Axunašin really seem that way to you? I realize Axunašin does have some IE-ish elements, due to its relation to the Central langs, but in truth it also has a lot in common with other language families; for example, the shift of the nominative-accusative distinction into a new variety of grammatical gender is decidedly un-IE-like, and the phonology seems to me to more closely resemble that of a sort of Turkic-Japonic hybrid. Flaidish has a vowel shift in its history similar to the English Great Vowel Shift, but that's about all it has in common with English. Cuêzi has a rather IE-ish grammar overall, but its roots bear little resemblance to IE roots, in contrast to the Central langs. So I guess your remark strikes me as a bit odd. I'm not attacking you; I'm just kind of surprised that you said what you did.

That said, Elkarîl is pretty sweet. :D However, my favorite among Mark's creations has to be Old Skourene. There's just no contest. The verbiness, the ergativity, the sound system, the twisted semantics, and last but not least the ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE WRITING SYSTEM -- what's not to love? 8)
[ʈʂʰɤŋtɕjɑŋ], or whatever you can comfortably pronounce that's close to that

Formerly known as Primordial Soup

Supporter of use of [ȶ ȡ ȵ ȴ] in transcription

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a 青.