Sick Alm?ans

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Sick Alm?ans

Post by Shm Jay »

Since I?m sick at home with the flu, I am especially interested right now in what kinds of diseases the les?asi get.

Iscun
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Iscun »

At least you know what disease you have. I don't. The doctor couldn't identify mine. All we know is that it's a viral rash. It's not chicken pox, it's not smallpox, and it's not measles. Incredibly bizarre. Maybe it flew over to this plane of existence from Almea. :oops:

JT_the_Ninja
Sanci
Sanci

Post by JT_the_Ninja »

Shm Jay wrote:Since I?m sick at home with the flu, I am especially interested right now in what kinds of diseases the les?asi get.
Quit stealing my medical conditions!

Well, what I had today is most likely a mild flu....I've got all the symptoms. And I've never eaten at a ChiChi's so it's definitely not hepatitis.

Dudicon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Dudicon »

I consider myself lucky that I haven't had a flu for the past three years at least. Although there was that utterly unpleasant two-month long psychologically induced stomachache.

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

The "Health" section of Mark's Thematic Dictionary lists some fairly Earthlike diseases and symptoms--presumably the Almean equivalents, while not necessarily identical, are similar. I suspect that the flaids and elcari, as fellow hominids, may be subject to fairly human-like diseases, while the aquatic races--the ilii and ktuvoki--probably suffer from different, and perhaps more exotic ones. That's just a guess, however...

Sorry to hear about your mystery rash, Iscun, and your flu, Jay and JT; at the moment, all I have is a plain old cold (sore throat, stuffy nose, sneezing, etc.) :?

p@,
Glenn

Dudicon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Dudicon »

Vitamin C all the way, in my opinion. Since I started taking it daily, I haven't been sick once, except for two instances where I had incipient cold symptoms which went away before they developed.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

I'm extremely lucky. I've had gross, nasty colds/mild fevers several times in the past few years, but I've never had the flu before, and it's been like 5 years since I last threw up...

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

Nearly 10 years for me.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Dudicon wrote:Vitamin C all the way, in my opinion. Since I started taking it daily, I haven't been sick once, except for two instances where I had incipient cold symptoms which went away before they developed.
"Went away before they developed"...does that mean you were hyperhealthy until they didn't develop?
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Whimemsz wrote:I'm extremely lucky. I've had gross, nasty colds/mild fevers several times in the past few years, but I've never had the flu before, and it's been like 5 years since I last threw up...
You steal my fantasies and my memories, and now this! You're like some sort of identity thief or something! :evil: j/k

Get well soon all you guys!

EDIT: And Dudicon has stolen my dialect exactly! :roll:

Dudicon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Dudicon »

Drydic_guy wrote:
Dudicon wrote:Vitamin C all the way, in my opinion. Since I started taking it daily, I haven't been sick once, except for two instances where I had incipient cold symptoms which went away before they developed.
"Went away before they developed"...does that mean you were hyperhealthy until they didn't develop?
Eh, that question is a bit confusing. Basically what I meant was I've been entirely healthy since I started taking vitamin C, except for two instances when I started to get a few cold symptoms (very mild sore throat and a bit of a runny nose in both instances); in both instances, the symptoms appeared in a very mild form and then went away within a day or two without turning into anything nastier.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Maknas wrote:
Whimemsz wrote:I'm extremely lucky. I've had gross, nasty colds/mild fevers several times in the past few years, but I've never had the flu before, and it's been like 5 years since I last threw up...
You steal my fantasies and my memories, and now this! You're like some sort of identity thief or something! :evil: j/k
MWAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA HAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

Likewise (it's like that Seinfeld... :wink: ); I must have a good immune system or something, as I rarely get sick in general. I was once bold enough to say, "I never get sick", and several days later I had month-long bronchitis and a broken finger...

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GreenBowTie »

I last threw up on January 1, 1995. I was nine.

I bet you they have SARS on Almea.

JT_the_Ninja
Sanci
Sanci

Post by JT_the_Ninja »

SARS on Almea? I wouldn't put it out of the question.

Well, I'm still sick today...another day w/o school......durnit :wink:

I never used to get sick, but lately I get sick at the drop of a hat....and it's worse, what with these durn ear-tubes (which is why I can truthfully say I've got eardrum piercings). I probably won't be able to go to karate class at all this week.

Oh, and interestingly enough, the last time I barfed wasn't because I was sick. I haven't sick-barfed for ages. But the last time I barfed was a month or so ago. I had already had a lot to drink, and then we went to McDonald's for root beer floats (those collectible cups are cool). Suddenly, I started feeling sick and bloated. I ran to the bathroom and bent over the toilet. Then it came like a torrent, cold and sugary...~100% root beer float regurgitation. I got to taste it again, yummy. :mrgreen:

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

JonathanaTegire wrote: Oh, and interestingly enough, the last time I barfed wasn't because I was sick. I haven't sick-barfed for ages. But the last time I barfed was a month or so ago. I had already had a lot to drink, and then we went to McDonald's for root beer floats (those collectible cups are cool). Suddenly, I started feeling sick and bloated. I ran to the bathroom and bent over the toilet. Then it came like a torrent, cold and sugary...~100% root beer float regurgitation.
The last time I threw up was as at the house of a limited acquantence, knowing hardly anyone there. It was on a stairwell, so it could have been terribly embarrasing, but I managed to convince them all that I had nothing to do with it. At the time I was quite pleased that I managed to save face . . . It was only much later that I found the decency to be ashamed of myself.
I got to taste it again, yummy. :mrgreen:
That's why one should never drink too much tequila. Going down is bad enough.

Yezhan Seru
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Yezhan Seru »

pharazon wrote:
Likewise (it's like that Seinfeld... :wink: ); I must have a good immune system or something, as I rarely get sick in general. I was once bold enough to say, "I never get sick", and several days later I had month-long bronchitis and a broken finger...
What an odd coincidence. Two days ago my brother came down and I was talking to him and saying how it had been years since I had gotten sick, let alone thrown up. Guess what? Last night before I went to sleep I developed the stomach pains he had and was up to five in the morning in great discomfort until I threw up in a rather disgusting manner.
I'm still rather weak as I type this, my body feels like a lead weight, but at least I am recovering.
'I know it's selfish, but this is my story!'

Shinali Sishi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Shinali Sishi »

In k-12 i got sick in 4th (flu), eighth (strep), and 12th (laryngitis).
I got sick during finals last semester and I was sick earlier this semester (with the cold that was going around campus).
I am presently avoiding anyone who is sick or has bronchitis. :wink:

I reccomend tea, juice (especially orange), gatorade, zinc/vitaminc/echinechea (ooo how badly can I spell echinecea?), lotsa fruits and vegetables, a fleece blanket, music, a stuffed animal, yummies (chocolate), chicken noodle soup, cold medicine, and sleep. :mrgreen:

Down with viruses! :evil:
Vanafanyu
Kegewa nita li alana!

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

The last time i was REALLY ill, was summer 2000, when i got meningitis. i woke up at five in the morning screaming in agony from the incredible headache i had and was really sick, i must say though, the NHS didn't let me down, i have never been through casualty so fast before, in about five minutes of checking in i had a drip in. I was Lucky, it was only viral meningitis, which, while very (VERY) painful, is not fatal. if it was the full blown version, i probobly wouldn't have made it to the hospital :( (waiting until you get really ill is not a good idea with meningitis...

Still, i havn't been really ill since then, a few colds - my nose regulary gets blocked up - and the odd sore throat, but thats about it.
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

JT_the_Ninja
Sanci
Sanci

Post by JT_the_Ninja »

Dazi wrote:
I reccomend tea, juice (especially orange), gatorade, zinc/vitaminc/echinechea (ooo how badly can I spell echinecea?), lotsa fruits and vegetables, a fleece blanket, music, a stuffed animal, yummies (chocolate), chicken noodle soup, cold medicine, and sleep. :mrgreen:
I'm drinking Coca Cola :mrgreen:

Dudicon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Dudicon »

I've honestly never been what I would call "really sick." That is, I've never really had anything worse than a bad flu or fever. The strangest medical problem I've ever had was the day I woke up and realized I couldn't walk; that scared me to death, and was more than I bit painful. The doctor didn't really know what the problem was, but I skipped a day of school and it was gone the next day. I tell you, that was a strange time.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Well, my worst illness was also my most recent... This spring, i got apendicitis (sp?), rather suddenly actually, and had to go to the hospital for surgery. I remember having several stomach cramps before I went to sleep, but I didn't think anything of them. Then I woke up in the middle of the night writhing in agony :(

I missed several days of school.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Last edited by Whimemsz on Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Fortunately I haven?t had all these things. My flu appears to be a little better today than it was yesterday, and with luck it will cycle through quickly. The only bizarre effects I?ve had is that I have to pee a lot, ? not surprisingly, because I?ve drank a lot of juice and eaten a lot of soup, though the output is seems surprisingly less than the inflow ? and yesterday I had a lot of wind. :mrgreen:

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

So Haleza Grise wrote: It was on a stairwell, so it could have been terribly embarrasing, but I managed to convince them all that I had nothing to do with it.
You know, that?s very funny in a sneaky kind of way. What did you do, manage to convince them that it?s the fashion among certain decadent people to just barf on things while they pass by? :D