Jeerio Trise to Finds a Job

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

There?s a book about someone?s recent travels to Kergu?len. I?ll have to see if I can find it, though I think it?s a British book.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Kerguelen books

Post by Shm Jay »

Recent books on Kergu?len:

Les ?les Kerguelen : un monde exotique sans indig?ne : ?tude ethnologique d'une communaut? transitoire dans un espace clos / Alexandra Marois.
Paris : L'Harmattan, 2003. 98 p. : ill., maps ; 22 cm. ISBN: 2747541916

This is the travel book:

The arch of Kerguelen : voyage to the Islands of Desolation / Jean-Paul Kauffmann. New York : Four Walls Eight Windows, 2000. xi, 206 p. : map ; 22 cm. ISBN: 1568581688

In the UK it was published as:

Voyage to Desolation Island / Jean-Paul Kauffmann. London : Harvill, 2001. 177 p. : map ; 22 cm. ISBN: 1860469264

And then there?s:

Au vent des Kerguelen : un s?jour solitaire dans les ?les de la d?solation / Christophe Houdaille. Paris : Transbor?al, 2000. 285 p., [48] p. of plates : col. ill., maps ; 24 cm. ISBN: 2913955010

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I have just one piece of advice for Jeerio: Try an alternative to capitalism. :mrgreen:
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Drakes
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Drakes »

I'd like to visit Kerguelen. Although it is very harsh in climate it is in some areas quite beautiful.

Here are some links:

About a British journalist's dream of visiting Kerguelen and his eventual six-month stay.

http://www.times-archive.co.uk/onlinesp ... es/parris/

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.btinternet.com/~sa_sa/kergue ... lands.html

http://www.univ-st-etienne.fr/iaaf/kerg ... rgueln.htm

http://ile.kerguelen.free.fr/accueil.htm

http://www.edouard.com/travel/southern-seas96.html

http://www.taaf.fr/rubriques/taaf/bases/taaf_bases.htm

and the weather forecast:

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/61998.html
drake
Etymology: Middle English; akin to Old High German an[i]trahho[/i] drake
Date: 14th century
: a male duck

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Raphael »

Eddy the Great wrote:I have just one piece of advice for Jeerio: Try an alternative to capitalism. :mrgreen:
Yep, that's the most important thing to care about when commenting stories written by eleven-year olds.

(Twenty years from now, Eddy's eleven year old kid comes to him:

Kid: Look, Daddy, I've finished my story about Jambog the weird blue frog!

Eddy: Oh, how nice! Does Jambog rightfully condemn the oppressive evils of capitalism and girls dressing in other ways than boys?

Kid: (very annoyed voice) Yeeees, Dad, I've thought of that...)

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Jeerio Trise to Finds a Job

Post by Raphael »

BTW, Mark,
Glenn Kempf wrote: Actually, I think most of the editing was to remove Earthly and other non-Almean references; in the excerpt from the original text given on the Secret History of Almea page, Jeerio is interested in "Alchemy and Logarithms, and Kerguelen Island and Piggy Banks",
who's Piggy Banks?

Ghost
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ghost »

Raphael wrote:BTW, Mark,
Glenn Kempf wrote: Actually, I think most of the editing was to remove Earthly and other non-Almean references; in the excerpt from the original text given on the Secret History of Almea page, Jeerio is interested in "Alchemy and Logarithms, and Kerguelen Island and Piggy Banks",
who's Piggy Banks?
It's not a person, it's another word for 'money box'. At least, I hope it is. :!:

Ghost :mrgreen:
[url=http://www.emalaith.com/census.html]ZBB Census 2006[/url]

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Raphael wrote:who's Piggy Banks?
Jar-Jar's brother?

A piggy bank is a ceramic pig which used to be given to kids to save coins in. The repressive character-building ones had no way to get the money out but to smash the pig. The friendlier ones had a stopper you could remove to get at the cash.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Eddy: Oh, how nice! Does Jambog rightfully condemn the oppressive evils of capitalism and girls dressing in other ways than boys?

LOL!
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

I liked the story. It was very good for an 11 year-old. The pictures were also excellent. You can see a lot of Mark's humour forming in the story, it's very interesting.
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Raphael wrote:Eddy: Oh, how nice! Does Jambog rightfully condemn the oppressive evils of capitalism and girls dressing in other ways than boys?

:D :D :D

Drakes
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Drakes »

Shm Jay wrote:
Raphael wrote:Eddy: Oh, how nice! Does Jambog rightfully condemn the oppressive evils of capitalism and girls dressing in other ways than boys?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
drake
Etymology: Middle English; akin to Old High German an[i]trahho[/i] drake
Date: 14th century
: a male duck

Ghost
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ghost »

Read it last night - brilliant stuff! I would be pleased with myself if I wrote that - and I'm 14! Even so young, we're seeing the trademark Zompist humour intertwined with typical Hitchhiker's style humour. Well done!

Ghost :D
[url=http://www.emalaith.com/census.html]ZBB Census 2006[/url]

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

I just wanted to revive Jeerio for a moment; I was re-reading the story, and was impressed once again by the sharpness of Mark's wit, even back then.
[T]he sun was setting, as it so often does, and the birds were singing in the trees?polkas and waltzes, mostly.
I love that line. :)
?I could look for adventures on weekends,? Jeerio pointed out. ?I could find some Dwarfs?they always have adventures to share..."
It took at least my third reading of this before I thought of The Hobbit... :wink:

p@,
Glenn

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

Raphael wrote:

Classic :mrgreen: , but unfortunately, it's lible to happen :P

And Yep, Glenn got there before me on the hobbit idea. i knew something was bugging me about the story, but he figured it out before me 8)
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Raphael »

Hey, thanks everyone. I've got one more question for Mark: Is that line about how we all probably want to read something else added or from the original? It reminds me so much of the adult Mark we know.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Raphael wrote:Hey, thanks everyone. I've got one more question for Mark: Is that line about how we all probably want to read something else added or from the original? It reminds me so much of the adult Mark we know.
That's in the original.

butsuri
Lebom
Lebom

Post by butsuri »

zompist wrote:Heh, I shouldn't have implied that there was just one interesting fact about Kerguelen Island.
Something I read today:
Any population that goes through a bottleneck has no choice but to evolve. Cats tell the story. Cities are filled with feline diversity - tabby, black and white, orange, lonng-haired and all the rest. Islands are different. Every cat on the remote French Dependency of Kerguelen, in the southern Indian Ocean, is black (some mitigated by splashes of white), no doubt becaues the few arrivals carried only those genes. On the equally French territory of St Pierre-Miquelon, fifteen miles off Newfoundland, the cats are different again. Their genes are not like those of the nearby mainland, but a reduced sample of those of Bordeaux, two thousand miles away.
From Almost Like a Whale:The Origin of Species Updated by Steve Jones.

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

pastoralist wrote:
Shm Jay wrote:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
That smiley... argh, I HATE it! It is the most messed-up smiley evar!

DF
Sanci
Sanci

Post by DF »

...especially when you highlight it.