chance resemblances

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Exez
Sanci
Sanci

chance resemblances

Post by Exez »

Verdurian et al certainly have many influences from real world languages. Verdurian could be an Indoeuropean language, since it has many romance elements in both grammar and vocabulary

I don't expect an in-universe explanation (since Almea belongs to another unverse, everything is possible and laws of luck chance and coincidence can be violated).

However I wonder this: Did the Elenicoi ever considered or even take notice of the similarities of some Almean languages to Terran ones? Did these similarities help them understand, study and adopt them better?

To rephrase this question: are these similarities taken anyhow into consideration in the Almean 'canon', or are they just 'artistic license'?

Blackhand
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Blackhand »

When the Elenicoi arrived in Avéla people were speaking Old Verdurian, and Cadhinor, which have quite different flavors than modern Verdurian. That said, they did realise that Cadhinor (and to a lesser extent Cuêzi) was an inflecting language with many similarities to both Greek and Latin, to the point where certain loans from Greek into Verdurian (personal names, but still applicable) had their nominal endings removed and Old Verdurian/Cadhinor ones placed on instead.
[quote]<Maknas> Run around the Arizona desert with a gun and claim you're fighting Al-Qaeda, that'll definitely make you known.[/quote]

Krsont
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Krsont »

I'm not sure the Elenicoi really would have noticed it; as far as they would have been concerned all languages were like that.

Kilanie
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Kilanie »

I remember in the LCK that Zompist said he wanted Verdurian to feel familiar, like it could be related to the Indo-European family.
After ordering a pint of his favorite ale, Robert was perplexed when the barmaid replied that the fishmonger was next door. The Great English Vowel Shift had begun.