A question for Zomp, and a question for you all.

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

A question for Zomp, and a question for you all.

Post by dhok »

1. Zomp, do you have any notes on the Western language? It's in the nav bar, but has a 404 error when I click on it. What are Western languages like?
2. For the general populace, have any of you put in tributes to Almea in your conlangs/conworlds?

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

http://www.almeopedia.com/index.php/Western

There's some info on Nanese and Bekkayin.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Arzena
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Arzena »

A tribute? Does faraginti meaning 'to invade'from Faraghin count? After all he did work on the Faraghin too if I'm not mistaken.
A New Yorker wrote:Isn't it sort of a relief to talk about the English Premier League instead of the sad state of publishing?
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Shtåså, Empotle7á, Neire Wippwo

thetyger
Niš
Niš

Re: A question for Zomp, and a question for you all.

Post by thetyger »

dhokarena56 wrote:2. For the general populace, have any of you put in tributes to Almea in your conlangs/conworlds?
Oh yes :) in my conlang, Sejuvli, the third personal pronoun is "ilu/ila" :D that's supposed to be a tribute to Zomp and Almea.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

I do remember *thinking* about putting in some sort of tribute to Almea somewhere - I think it was 16 evil wizards - but I haven't yet.
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

I do not know yet. But I fell in love with Verduria city's original name (Arenica, FYI), and I thought of naming one of Sevy's (lesser) neighborhood with that name.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

krinnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by krinnen »

Yes, I have.The problem is I don't remember where... :(
Laurie Anderson wrote:Writing about music is like dancing about architecture

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

A few here and there. Saimiar maŋas, "lord", comes from Verd. sannam, "lord (Acc. case)", spelled backwards and treating /nn/ as if it were a /N/ since Saimiar doesn't have geminates. From the example sentence in the sounds of Verdurian: Ďitelán mu cum pén veaďen er mësan so sannam. Also soi, "and", was inspired by the Verdurian definite article, and the abstract nominalization -(i)kat (e.g. iminden, "immortal" -> imindenikat "immortality") was inspired by Verdurian words like Eleďát.

Whenever I borrow words from another langauge for Saimiar I very rarely borrow both the form and the meaning, usually I just borrow the form and create a different meaning, either arbitrary or opposite of the source langauge's meaning depending on how I feel at the time. maŋas is one of a very few exceptions to that rule, and even there it's spelled backwards and phonologically disguised a little.

Also I kind of ripped off the Iliu/Ktuvok rivalry wholesale, except my version of the Ktuvoki are equatorial-rainforest-dwelling collective-minded giant insects and my Iliu make no claim to be particularly enlightened. Also they are cyborgs. But apart from that, that part of Arzhanø's history does sound a lot like the Count of Years and that bothers me a little, but I like my take on Zomp's idea too much to give it up entirely.
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I can add a couple:
* Radius's word sompìs 'defeat' in Ndak Ta, which also has references to other ZBBers.
* One of Rick Harrison's auxlangs borrowed nev 'nine' from Verdurian, IIRC.

There are a load of little tributes in various bits of Almea. A few examples:
* Many references to college friends in Verduria and K'aitan. (Often however I've made these less blatant on revision.)
* Some musicians I like are memorialized in a corner of Verduria province.
* A section of western Ereláe references some SpinnWebe friends; another refers to some Second Life contacts.
* A neighborhood in Verduria City has a number of names derived from my time in Quincy; another recalls Evanston. A nearby city's name translates to Oak Park.
* Some nomadic tribes in Arcél are named for ZBBers.
* I've mentioned borrowings from Tolkien elsewhere.

There are a few negative tributes as well... the word for "idiot" in one language refers to a crank I once knew on Usenet.

Many of these tributes are hidden by translation, at least in areas with known languages.

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

zompist wrote:There are a load of little tributes in various bits of Almea.
Does this include the borrowings in Verdurian from a certain well-known auxiliary language? :-)
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.