Flaidish ba7se 7empo

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

nah, the sevens are good. they remind me of Old English manusicripts where a 7 like sympol was an abreviation for "and" so you've got one vote for the 7's Mark! 8)
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

con quesa wrote:By the way, I would also like to see the full text of Jeerio Tries to Find a Job , prefably published online. Do you have any plans for that?
Sometime, probably. I'm tempted to adapt it, however... some parts are pretty silly.

jburke

Post by jburke »

zompist wrote:
con quesa wrote:By the way, I would also like to see the full text of Jeerio Tries to Find a Job , prefably published online. Do you have any plans for that?
Sometime, probably. I'm tempted to adapt it, however... some parts are pretty silly.
I'd like to see an adaptation; and, while you're at, how about a sample of BABBLERS? ;) (Just a little peak?)

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Zomp has put up a small part, in the Secret History of Verduria. He has also said that he won't put up any more, because he still wants to be published on dead trees.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Why would anyone have felt the necessity to borrow the word scagantos?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Shm Jay wrote:Why would anyone have felt the necessity to borrow the word scagantos?
Same reason as English borrowed the equivalent word from Latin: the foreignness cools down the temperature of the word.

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Warmaster »

zompist wrote:

Verdurian males probably average 5' 6" (apologies to metric users); flaids average about a foot taller. (Ilii average a couple inches taller than flaids, but are much more heavyset.)
I just noticed this. i'm nearly as tall as a flaid!

Actually, i expected both measurments to be higher, no matter, just an observation.

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

I thought Flaids were midgits! :roll:
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Warmaster wrote:
zompist wrote:

Verdurian males probably average 5' 6" (apologies to metric users); flaids average about a foot taller. (Ilii average a couple inches taller than flaids, but are much more heavyset.)
I just noticed this. i'm nearly as tall as a flaid!

Actually, i expected both measurments to be higher, no matter, just an observation.
Pre-modern peoples were often shorter on average than their present-day descendants; modern nutrition and medical care have led to an increase in health and growth rates.

As an example, the Vikings are often pictured as hulking warriors, but archeological remains reveal an average height of a bit over 5'7'' for men and 5'2'' for women--somewhat less than that of present-day Scandinavians. (On the other hand, the leading warriors may have been generally larger, and the peoples they raided may have tended to be smaller on average.)

[EDIT: The above information is taken from The Vikings by Else Roesdahl. My apologies for not including the citation earlier.]

Exceptions are always possible, of course--two historical rulers noted for their height are Charlemagne and Peter the Great.

p@,
Glenn
Last edited by Glenn on Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iscun
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Iscun »

zompist wrote:Verdurian males probably average 5' 6" (apologies to metric users); flaids average about a foot taller. (Ilii average a couple inches taller than flaids, but are much more heavyset.)
Hm, so, would that mean that ilii are tall but stout-looking at the same time?

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Iscun wrote:
zompist wrote:Verdurian males probably average 5' 6" (apologies to metric users); flaids average about a foot taller. (Ilii average a couple inches taller than flaids, but are much more heavyset.)
Hm, so, would that mean that ilii are tall but stout-looking at the same time?
So it would appear from the description in Mark's article on "The Descent of Les?asi" in Virtual Verduria, which reads as follows:
Ilii are larger and heavier than humans (indeed, an iliu female is likely to outweigh a human male). [...] Like many sea creatures, they tend to be thick in the middle, as an adaptation to the cold of the depths; they are muscular, but the muscles are buried below a layer of fat. However, they do not at all move like a fat human; their movements are powerful and graceful.
The same article has the following to say about the flaids:
The flaids (Urestu magnocapitus) are related to uesti; they are taller, with large flat heads and large feet.
(As Jeerio has shown us, BTW. :) )

The Verdurian Culture Test also mentions the flaids' height:
You consider the flaids up in Flora to be pleasant, solid people. You'd think twice before taking advantage of them-- they are awfully big.
The ktuvoki are described as "half again as tall as a man," which could make them close to eight feet tall(:!:)--larger than either flaids or ilii. The gdeoni and kushaki were allegedly even taller (especially in myth), while the icelani, elcari, and murtani are all shorter than humans. Mark noted once that the trolls (which may well also be merely mythical) were said to be equal to humans (uesti) in size.

p@,
Glenn

Iscun
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Iscun »

Ah

I was under the impression that they were slender, as depicted in the illustration in The Descent of Les?asi.

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Iscun wrote:Ah

I was under the impression that they were slender, as depicted in the illustration in The Descent of Les?asi.
The iliu in the illustration is not exactly skinny, but you're right--she's not that heavyset, either. And the Civ2 iliu icon used on this board is a fairly slender one as well; I suspect Mark didn't want to draw ilii that would be considered unattractively fat by human standards. Perhaps we could consider the ones in the illustrations ("iliu-strations?") to be particularly svelte specimens. :mrgreen:

p@,
Glenn

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I do intend to redraw the iliu maiden someday. There's so many things that aren't illustrated at all, however, that it's not a very high priority.

Iscun
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Iscun »

My mental picture of Almea gets contradicted all the time!

Before I really read anything about them, I thought the ilii were slender. I also first imagined elkari to be taller and broader than humans. I misunderstood the discription of ktuvoki being 'half again as tall as a man,' so I imagined them being very short. And I pronounced ''flaid' as 'flayd' up until the Flaidish grammar was posted! :oops:

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Warmaster »

I know that humans were once shorter, but its still strange to read that a creature that is massive to them was only slightly taller than myself, that said, i don't know very many people who are taller than me :wink:

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

If it's a consolation, remember the properties of the bell curve. The flaids only average to a height a few inches taller than yours. So plenty of them are much taller; and you'd definitely feel like a shorty if you visited Syxesteer.

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Warmaster »

zompist wrote:If it's a consolation, remember the properties of the bell curve. The flaids only average to a height a few inches taller than yours. So plenty of them are much taller; and you'd definitely feel like a shorty if you visited Syxesteer.
That would be an experience indeed 8) :wink: but i'd rather go to skouras for some reason

insumaro
Sanci
Sanci

Post by insumaro »

zompist wrote:Since I don't really like inventing roots (and yet did that aplenty for Elkar?l), I usually borrow vocabulary from all over. For Flaidish I decided to steal most of the vocabulary from a single source. See who can find what it is...
We never found out the source!!

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Pentekonter wrote:
zompist wrote:Since I don't really like inventing roots (and yet did that aplenty for Elkar?l), I usually borrow vocabulary from all over. For Flaidish I decided to steal most of the vocabulary from a single source. See who can find what it is...
We never found out the source!!
It did get discovered, actually, but in another thread. It's Hungarian, which also supplied a couple of grammatical points.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Teehee. I just noticed this:
The Flaidish Grammar wrote: max n rabbit
Which is funny also because it's one of the first words in Flaidish we ever found out about, and I've only just noticed the connection.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

The title looks like 1337. :mrgreen:
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

DF
Sanci
Sanci

Post by DF »

So Haleza Grise wrote:Teehee. I just noticed this:
The Flaidish Grammar wrote: max n rabbit
Which is funny also because it's one of the first words in Flaidish we ever found out about, and I've only just noticed the connection.
Heh, forgive my ignorance, but I don't get it...care to explain?

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

I think it's a videogame reference.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

I do intend to redraw the iliu maiden someday. There's so many things that aren't illustrated at all, however, that it's not a very high priority.
Speaking of that, am I the only one who noticed that her eyebrow is drawn partially off her forehead?
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr