Historical Atlas of Arcél

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Atom
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Atom »

zompist wrote:There's a city layer in the Flash file... I'll probably add a city map though, for easy reference.
I just saw it. Thanks!

It seems like Arcel is much less literate then Erelae. And is Ȟamsan really illiterate? For an area with such a long history of civilization and so close to Uytai and Be, it seems a bit odd.

Iscun
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Iscun »

Due to their longer life-spans, the Elcari probably have a wider sense of history than humans. I also recall that they're known to be more stubborn.. Have the Elcari of Arcél ever forgiven Uytai for the human-elcari wars which happened 1,400 years ago?

Edit: Now that i think of it, (correct me if I'm wrong, of course) despite their longer lives, the Elcari's extremely landlocked position would limit their world view. I would imagine that, being surrounded by an ever-changing ocean of fickle humans, they'd be prone to a kind of noble xenophobia. I wouldn't be surprised if they never dealt with Uytai, even all of humanity in the same way after the wars. Then again the common enemy, the múrtani, would spur alliances once again.

The Elcari's rejecton of idealistic thinking is fascinating. One would think that such a clever, material-oriented race would also desire to have huge, glorious empires. Not so. C'est la vie Alméenne I suppose.

Gremlins
Sanci
Sanci
Location: The western spiral arm of Great Britain (we don't have toilets)

Post by Gremlins »

Did Zomp mix up Pan and Ner on the language map?
[quote="dinnae"][quote="Sano"]I'm a Homo sapien, does that count?[/quote]

Only if you go Erectus in the presence of the same sex.[/quote]

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Yep, I sure did. Thanks for the catch.

As for the elcari, they would certainly mistrust the Uytainese for a long time, though that wouldn't prevent them from doing business with them.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

And now it is all done. So many things to understand :)
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Yiuel wrote:And now it is all done. So many things to understand :)
And now we wait for Uyseʔ...

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

I find myself very interested in the relationship between the languages of the Uyseʔic family (I've been trying to figuring out Uyseʔ/Siadese correspondences).

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

Daquarious P. McFizzle wrote:
Yiuel wrote:And now it is all done. So many things to understand :)
And now we wait for Uyseʔ...
I'll send you my translation notes if you want :wink:
Siadese is still a puzzle, though... Thrimese too.
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Zomp-I found a keyboard that I now use for IPA. It will now put diacritics on ɛ and ɔ. It can be found here.
In other news, I decided to create non-Unicode transcription systems for Lé and Uyseʔ for e-mail.

Uyseʔ has only two non-ASCII characters-ʔ and ħ, written <7> and <x>.
Lé is a hard language to transcribe, so I decided to go for the Hmoob approach.
The consonants p t č k b d j m n ŋ s ł h r l are mostly written as standard; but č is written <ch>, ŋ <g>, and ł <lh>. More difficult are the vowels: /i e ɛ a ɔ o u/ are written <i>. The tones are, of course, the hardest, so I stole from the RPA. For a á à â ǎ I write <a>. The tone markers come after any final consonant. Thus Zomp's example:
Čǐ lo te hɔt ŋɛt ŋódà na łu má?
is written
Chiv lou tei hot get gobdad na lhu mab?

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

I greatly enjoyed the Atlas, especially the articles on notable figures -- many of them made me ready to read a novel about them. (If you ever do decide to pursue publishing a novel, I'll be pre-ordering!) I've been following Almea for quite a while, and I think your storytelling has really grown over the years since you started putting your work online. Very nicely done.