The Zone Of Fire

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

The Zone Of Fire

Post by finlay »

Now I'm not an expert on geography. By any stretch of the imagination. But I do know something, and this is sort of related to Space and therefore fizzix, which I'm alright at, but I'm not keen on it anymore, linguistics (and maths) being my calling(s) in life, especially lately.
Anyway, our closest terrestrial equivalents to Almea's Zone Of Fire would be the various deserts in places like the Sahara and Australia's desert, which occur on and around the Tropics, of Capricorn and Cancer, which are at 26.5? N/S. Now this is the angle of the tilt on the earth's spin compared to its orbit around the sun, and this is what causes the seasons on earth, because when a particular pole is tilted towards the sun that pole gets its summer.
Now, since Almea's Zone Of Fire is on its equator, it suggests that its "tropics" are both at ~0? N/S, and that therefore its tilt to the orbit is 0?. This would then suggest that at no time of the year would either pole be nearer the pole, and therefore that Almea would have no seasons.
BUT, Verdurian has words for summer and winter, suggesting that it should have seasons, although, as the Zone Of Fire proves as I've just shown, Almea hasn't any seasons. So is this just a massive oversight, or is there some more subtle underlying reason why there should be seasons on Almea? Indeed, has this been asked?

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

I'm sorry to deviate from the topic, but it annoyes me that you keep making spelling corrections and spell so badly yourself.
vec

Jar Jar Binks
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jar Jar Binks »

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

Aha, but I have my strange, convoluted raisins!
I just like spelling physics as fizzix, or reasons as raisins.
Maybe at times I can be a bit of a hypocrite.
But usually if make a mistake it's when my keyboard's really slow (not now, or all the time, just sometimes) and types double letters by accident and I can't be bothered going back to correct it because it's quite a lot of effort.
But really I just hate it when people misuse apostrophes. It's just annoying, because if they're used wrong they almost always transform one word into another.
And actually "fizzix" was my only 'mistake' there and it was deliberate.

Anyway, do you know anything about geography or physics in relation to this?

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

And that other topic didn't really answer my question properly.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Even if a planet had zero degree tilt, there would still be seasons as every planet's orbit is slightly elliptical.
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

The Zone of Fire isn't simply a desert; remember that it's almost certainly artificial, so probably started with either high technology or magic.

(It might be interesting to check back on Brazil in a few centuries, though; they're engaged in more or less an attempt to create a Zone of Fire of their own, by burning down the tropical rain forest. The soil of the forest, however, is neither deep nor very fertile, and the end result is likely to be equatorial desert.)

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

In any case -- though it isn't relevant to the Zone of Fire, as Mark already noted -- an equatorial desert doesn't necessarily mean a planet lacking in seasons. Looking at Earth's paleoclimate, there have been spans in which equatorial deserts coexisted with various gradations of temperate and tropical climate.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

So that shows how much I really know about geography... and the details of the Zone itself...