Q for Zomp: Verdurian font

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Shinali Sishi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Shinali Sishi »

maybe serali could screenshot shat she sees and show all of us
Vanafanyu
Kegewa nita li alana!

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

What a good idea..

For my part, however, it shows as Verdurian after the font's been downloaded.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

butsuri
Lebom
Lebom

Post by butsuri »

Serali wrote:I guess it is. Hey can I ask you a question? What the beautiful script in you sig called? And could you show me more of it? Thanks!
Oh, it's a featural alphabet I made a few years ago. It doesn't really have a name, since my conlang never got far enough to come up with one. Maybe that'll change in the future, but it won't be this version of the script - I decided the letters look too similar, for one thing. I have some ideas for how to develop it, but they haven't been fully worked out. Anyway, here are some charts of the letters from back around when I made my sig image. Consonants. Vowels. I never made much in the way of connected texts in it, but it reads horizontally from left to right, with the body of the vowels above the baseline and the consonants below (as in the sig).

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

OK, I found the problem: after digging through Character Palette, I found the letters, but Font Book just didn't pick them up. A Macintosh keyboard layout will be forthcoming, for those interested.

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

butsuri wrote:
Serali wrote:I guess it is. Hey can I ask you a question? What the beautiful script in you sig called? And could you show me more of it? Thanks!
Oh, it's a featural alphabet I made a few years ago. It doesn't really have a name, since my conlang never got far enough to come up with one. Maybe that'll change in the future, but it won't be this version of the script - I decided the letters look too similar, for one thing. I have some ideas for how to develop it, but they haven't been fully worked out. Anyway, here are some charts of the letters from back around when I made my sig image. Consonants. Vowels. I never made much in the way of connected texts in it, but it reads horizontally from left to right, with the body of the vowels above the baseline and the consonants below (as in the sig).
Ah. It's lovely...I always thought that was hiragana, until I learned hiragana.

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

I just finished putting together a Verdurian keyboard layout that uses bi's Unicode font. It's available here. To use it, unstuff the archive and drop the two files into /Library/Keyboard Layouts. The .keylayout file is the actual layout, and the .icns file is an icon that should make a Verdurian flag show up in the input menu.

Pictures of the layout (I apologize in advance for stretching the page with these images):

Option-i is a dead key for typing Ismaîn-specific letters (just hit option-i and then the Ismaîn letter's romanized equivalent). All other letters that have diacritics in romanized Verdurian are just option-s for šen, option-z for ež, etc.

After some testing, I found out a few things: first is that lenge, vuáë, mole, etc. don't work right. I'm not sure how to work around this yet. Second is that keyboard commands don't work because the Mac OS receives a Unicode Verdurian character instead of a Roman one. I'll fix this tomorrow by just having it switch back to Roman when the Command key is pressed. Otherwise everything appears to work like it should.

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

bi wrote:My version of GIMP does do Unicode, in fact. It even properly handles Hebrew right-to-left writing and diacritics.

Also, the way Unicode works is that you're not supposed to write ë (U+00EB) and switch to a Verdurian font and expect a Verdurian character to come out. Under Unicode, U+00EB is always the Latin small letter e with umlaut, and the corresponding Verdurian glyph will need its own code.
The reason I was looking for the type of font where you type "ë" in your keyboard and then get the proper Verdurian letter -- or typing a passage in the Latin alphabet then changing it to the correct Verdurian letters by changing the font -- is because it would be much more convenient to write Verdurian that way. I have it so I can switch to the US-International keyboard layout (where " + e makes ë) whenever I want. I can do that already with verdurian.ttf already just so long as I don't use any letters with diacritics. Also, it would make it easy to write Italian (for example) in the Verdurian alphabet.

The method of having separate Unicode letters for all the Verdurian letters instead of making a different Verdurian font which changes the correct Latin letters to Verdurian seems like a Rube Goldberg to me, IMHO.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I think it's pretty neat that a font has been made that actually uses the CSUR settings.

Those who have installed it, does Philip Newton's page that uses this encoding now work?

http://shavian.org/verdurian/luke.html.utf16

My Maraille and Verdurian fonts are designed so that I can do just as BG suggests: use diacritics correctly on the Mac, and transliterate simply by changing fonts.

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

BGMan wrote:The method of having separate Unicode letters for all the Verdurian letters instead of making a different Verdurian font which changes the correct Latin letters to Verdurian seems like a Rube Goldberg to me, IMHO.
I get that, but it is nice to have both available, partly for webpages and partly for typing straight into Verdurian with a custom keyboard layout. The more computer resources for Verdurian, the better!
zompist wrote:Those who have installed it, does Philip Newton's page that uses this encoding now work?

It mostly works:

Diacritics are displaying after the characters instead of on top of them, and a few characters like î are showing in random Roman letters.
zompist wrote:My Maraille and Verdurian fonts are designed so that I can do just as BG suggests: use diacritics correctly on the Mac, and transliterate simply by changing fonts.
Just curious: which version of the Mac OS are you using?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Valinta wrote:Just curious: which version of the Mac OS are you using?

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

zompist wrote:I think it's pretty neat that a font has been made that actually uses the CSUR settings.

Those who have installed it, does Philip Newton's page that uses this encoding now work?

My Maraille and Verdurian fonts are designed so that I can do just as BG suggests: use diacritics correctly on the Mac, and transliterate simply by changing fonts.
Wow. The top four paragraphs do, :D although the bottom four just look like a bunch of ?'s.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

BGMan wrote:Wow. The top four paragraphs do, :D although the bottom four just look like a bunch of ?'s.
Heh, that means the font isn't installed or isn't working with your browser. The first paragraphs are an image. See Valinta's post above for a screenshot of the page actually displaying the font.

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

butsuri wrote:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OM OMG OMG OMG OOOOOMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! PRETTY SCRIPTY!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOINGY! I LOOOOOVE IT! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! BOINGY! WAPO GIPO MI MI MI! IT'S SO PREEEEEEETTY! :mrgreen:

Oh and if you manage to get some samples in it I would love to see them! :mrgreen: Do you have a font for it? Sorry I couldn't get to this sooner. I don't know why but I didn't get the email notification thingy. Where was I? Oh yeah,

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! PRETTY SCRIPTY! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! BOINGY! :mrgreen: *Jumps up and down like a boingy in her avatar* YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY I LOOOOOOOOVE IT! Pretty Scripty! YAY BOINGY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I LIKE THE PRETTY SCRIPTY! NO WAIT I LOVE THE PRETTY SCRIPTY! YAY! BOINGY! :mrgreen:

Oh and can I post it on my journal and give you credit? I love the script! Wait you probably already know that. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Serali on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Zereskaoate"]I am, however a slave to the boingies. [img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/Boingies/th_thsau222jpg-2.gif[/img][/quote]

[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/th_1-1.gif[/img]

ayyub
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ayyub »

Can you please calm down? You're becoming a parody of a parody of yourself, and it's annoying.
Ulrike Meinhof wrote:The merger is between /8/ and /9/, merging into /8/. Seeing as they're just one number apart, that's not too strange.

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

Sorry I just can't get enough of the pretty scripty! :mrgreen: It's one of my favorites!

Last edited by Serali on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Zereskaoate"]I am, however a slave to the boingies. [img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/Boingies/th_thsau222jpg-2.gif[/img][/quote]

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

Serali wrote:OMG OMG OMG...
Jesus fucking Christ.

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

:mrgreen:

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Lady, I don't care how much you like it, there is no need to spew that much sugar/caffeine/endorphins/gods-know-what over this thread.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

You forgot that I'm only 14 and that I don't drink coffee. Nor do I take any drugs. And I don't eat candy that much either. It's just me expressing the way I feel and I see nothing wrong with that. And I don't do it in every single post.

So please stop jumping down my throat every time this happens. I'm a very emotional person as I told you 200,000,000,000,000,000,000 times already. Again I'm sorry if I annoyed any body but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has done something like this before ( not because of pretty scripties ).

Klaivas
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Klaivas »

In the style of road safety, here's a little 3-step guide to post safety:

STOP!
Before hitting the "Submit" button, hooold it right there.

LOOK!
Look at your post. If it contains more than one "OMG", "YAY", "SCRIPTY", "PRETTY" or ":mrgreen:", delete all duplicates.

LISTEN!
Read the post aloud to yourself. If it annoys the living shit out of you, refrain from hitting "Submit" and go back to the forum index.

Thank you for listening. I have been your posting instructor Tačkskviaucintlprsetl Anrdoasnavptač :)

PS: According to Firefox, "Tačkskviaucintlprsetl" doesn't contain a spelling error. Odd?

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

ROTFL! That was a good one and thank you. I'll make sure that doesn't happen again. *Puts link in her favorites* Thank you! :mrgreen: And it's only one Mr. Green YAY!

Last edited by Serali on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valinta
Sanci
Sanci

Post by valinta »

Serali wrote:You forgot that I'm only 14...
If I remember right, we've had 10 year-olds on here before, and they managed to handle themselves maturely. I don't mean to bitch, but seriously, what the fuck?

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

10 year olds on here I can believe that. 10 year olds on here acting maturely that's impossible. O_O And are you sure they are actually 10 year olds? They could be lying you know...... All I can say is that I'm sorry and I'll take Klaivas's kick ass advice which nearly killed me btw. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Serali on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EilisRen
Niš
Niš

Post by EilisRen »

Serali wrote:10 year olds on here I can believe that. 10 year olds on here acting maturely that's impossible. O_O And are you sure they are actually 10 year olds? They could be lying you know......
As could you...so stop using your age as an excuse.

ayyub
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ayyub »

Serali wrote:10 year olds on here I can believe that. 10 year olds on here acting maturely that's impossible. O_O And are you sure they are actually 10 year olds? They could be lying you know...... All I can say is that I'm sorry and I'll take Klaivas's kick ass advice which nearly killed me btw. :mrgreen:
Because, you know, it's cool to say you're ten years old. I know that when I first started posting on forums I would always say I was 9, even though I was 11, because I was cool like that. Yeah. Kids love to pretend they're younger!
Ulrike Meinhof wrote:The merger is between /8/ and /9/, merging into /8/. Seeing as they're just one number apart, that's not too strange.