Calto's Symbol

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Neat-o.

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Wow. Those pics are real nice, I think I might go for < Caloton > (I was trying to do a cursive Calto, but my a's were jacked up. I see now...) Now, I've a two-pronged question, which may be too analytical for my own good.

1). Verdurian lacks Cadhinorian idioms, as well transparent contractions used as punctuation or greater statements, such as we'd find in English on a usual basis, or to a greater extent Pahlavi.

2). Cadhinorian also lacks this sort of symbolism, especially in Godly figures (but then again, if Cadhinorian is an echo to Rome, then the symbolisms would be borrowed. The equivalent of Greece, the borrowing, is obviously monotheism. We would have to borrow from a non-monotheistic source, such as Kebri. But it doesn't stop me from proposing)...

Cadhinorian/Verdurian have a thicker oral traditional than writing, viewing it as a secondary function, a means to record as aposed to a means of communication. Now, it's also been settled that writing in the idiom wasn't done until near recent times, which enforces the borrowings and reborrowings of Cadhinorian words. So, I could argue: why, perhaps not contractions? Or perhaps this argument is too prejudiced.

Is it that symbolism, or the necessity of it, is thought to be inconceivable, that if in writing, < CALATON > is just enough, and nothing less? If there was, we'd be using it as the basis of writing, right?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I'm not sure I'm following. What sort of contractions are you looking for? The Verdurian writing system is cursive, and it's not usually much trouble to write out the whole word. (Actually turning the final N into a swash as I've shown is a form of abbreviation.)

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

What I mean is the kind of abbreviations and contractions from Latin that English has, such as etc., e.g., viz, and so forth.

insumaro
Sanci
Sanci

Post by insumaro »

There's Shm for Shriftomi.

(I think thats how ya spell it.)

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

I think I should restate my statement to make a more sensible argument.

1). Greeks (and then the romans) used symbols to represent the gods and planets, but then during the medeival period used the same symbols as symbols for elements and other things, mixing a sort of psuedo-religion into their scientific world. I was curious to know if this sort of thing also happened for the Cadhinorians? Did they use special symbols and glyphs to represent their gods?

2.) English, among many other languages, borrowed and re-borrowed latinate words as stock vocabulary (in some instances), however, we have also borrowed directly Latin phrases and abbreviated them (e.g., etc., d.v., et al., etc. :P) I was curious if similar abbreviations of true Cadhinorian phrases were similarly borrowed?

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

zompist wrote:
As an alternative, Kalotech in Barakhinei:

Hold on a sec. Don't the Barakhinei use their equivalent to Verdurian c?s when writing /k/, and reserve their version of ek for words from Cadhinor?

Space Dracula
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Space Dracula »

Hey, my uncle and grandpa got inked today. If I could, I'd put pictures up for everyone to see.
<Dudicon> i would but you're too fat to fit in my mouth!!

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

So Haleza Grise wrote:
zompist wrote:
As an alternative, Kalotech in Barakhinei:
Hold on a sec. Don't the Barakhinei use their equivalent to Verdurian c?s when writing /k/, and reserve their version of ek for words from Cadhinor?
Oops, you're quite right. I looked at the alphabet instead of the phonology section.

I see I didn't respond to Nikolai's question... basically because I haven't worked such abbreviations out.

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Ah, alright. I just thought such abbreviations weren't necessary to the Verdurian or Cadhinorian mind. Considerably speaking, if one writes something down, is that not the most efficient way to spell it out. Else we'd be using something else, right?