Atmospheric Density

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Death of Ophelia
Niš
Niš

Atmospheric Density

Post by Death of Ophelia »

This is quite the obscure question but, does anyone know the density of Almea's atmosphere? I always pictured it to be a very thin atmosphere, somewhere in the vacinity of 45-48% the density of Earth's. I was just curious, because that would change the dynamics of sailing for ships, and flying for avians and flying beings of the sort. Plus biochemistry would probably be different with having to respirate with less air.
If God takes life he's an Indian giver.

Legros
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Legros »

I thought of something similar for a con-planet. I figured that the atmosphere would have be much richer in oxygen, and that there would be no birds and no flying insects.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Atmospheric Density

Post by zompist »

Death of Ophelia wrote:I always pictured it to be a very thin atmosphere, somewhere in the vacinity of 45-48% the density of Earth's.
I don't know why you'd picture it that way... It's similar to Earth's.

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

zompist wrote:
Death of Ophelia wrote:I always pictured it to be a very thin atmosphere, somewhere in the vacinity of 45-48% the density of Earth's.
I don't know why you'd picture it that way... It's similar to Earth's.
That's what I thought. And I was right, clearly.

Other densities would only cause problems ...

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Curlyjimsam wrote: Other densities would only cause problems ...
for earth creatures, yes, but almeans would have adapted. higher density isnt in itself a problem. higher levels of various non-toxic gases would also cause little problem. higher concentrations of oxygen, however, would require almean life to be much different from earth life. respiration would be easier, and less space/energy would be deicated to obtaining oxygen- indeed creatures would probably have complex systems to keep the excess oxygen out. free-radicals would decrease life-expectancy, and i suspect for uesti to have human life spans they would need to be able to synthesise vitamin A, much as rats do (i think).
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]