Almea & The AAH

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Death of Ophelia
Niš
Niš

Almea & The AAH

Post by Death of Ophelia »

I was reading an article on Wiki, about the Aquatic Ape Hypothesis, and not only did it strike me as interesting and plausible, but I remembered that Mark had stated the origin of Humans on his world to be aquatic, so I was wondering if it had any influence on you, that is the Aquatic Ape Hypothesis?

And, I'm not trying to infringe on copyrights or steal ideas, but I was thinking about parodying Humans, and giving them aquatic orgins, but I'd base it more on AAH than I would on Almean Human Beings.

Oh and one last aditional question, what is the scientific name of Almean Humans? Is it merely Homo sapiens?
If God takes life he's an Indian giver.

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Almea & The AAH

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

Death of Ophelia wrote:Oh and one last aditional question, what is the scientific name of Almean Humans? Is it merely Homo sapiens?
According to Zomp's page on Almean Intelligent life, the closest analogues to humans are "Urestu Planitiei."

BTW Zomp, what does "Planitiei" Mean? I can't seem to find it in the lexicon?
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

The Aquatic Ape Hypothesis was a definite influence on Almea. My best understanding is that it's discounted as a theory of terrestrial human origins; but I liked it for Almea. (Nonetheless, the near ancestors of Almean hominids were, like our own, savannah hunters.)

Almean life has no relation to terrestrial life, so it has its own biological tree. The species names on the biology page are Latin, except for the word urestu which is of course Cadhinor. Planitiei means 'of the plains'. The Verdurians have their own classification system-- I know I've posted it once, but I can't find it online. I have it at home; post again if you really want to know.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

I believe it was on the old board somwhere.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

I did a little reading on the AAH, and found something interesting. It seems that among aquatic mammal species, there are five features that they almost always adopt as convergent evolution, even if they are unrelated.
1) small or non-existent external ears
2) shorter legs
3) highly developed young at birth
4) milk high in fat and protein
5) enlarged kidneys to handle salt excretion

If Uesti come from aquatic ancestors, and you want those ancestors to be recent enough to bequeath some aquatic adaptations, then you might want to have a look at the list. Uesti already have small ears, and longer legs are useful for running and hunting on land, but what about the others? Presumably they could all have reverted back to terrestrial norms by modern times. But if you wanted, you could (for example) make Uesti milk richer in fat and protein than human milk or extend Uesti gestation to 10 or even 11 months. Don't know if that would really make much difference... but it's a thought.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

I have often thought that there is no need for Almean women to suffer menstruation either, since no terrestrial mammal does, except the great apes. The redel might refer instead to some bodily change taking place at puberty, i.e. darkening of the nipples.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Mornche Geddick wrote:I have often thought that there is no need for Almean women to suffer menstruation either, since no terrestrial mammal does, except the great apes. The redel might refer instead to some bodily change taking place at puberty, i.e. darkening of the nipples.
If they didn't menstruate, they'd probably have an oestrus cycle; with serious behavioural consequences. Almean society would look very different then, I think.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

So Haleza Grise wrote:
Mornche Geddick wrote:I have often thought that there is no need for Almean women to suffer menstruation either, since no terrestrial mammal does, except the great apes. The redel might refer instead to some bodily change taking place at puberty, i.e. darkening of the nipples.
If they didn't menstruate, they'd probably have an oestrus cycle; with serious behavioural consequences. Almean society would look very different then, I think.
Not necessarily. Chimps come into heat (see "In the Shadow of Man"), and it has been suggested ever since Marie Stopes wrote "Married Love" that women have an increased sex drive around the time of ovulation.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Mornche Geddick wrote:
So Haleza Grise wrote:
Not necessarily. Chimps come into heat (see "In the Shadow of Man"), and it has been suggested ever since Marie Stopes wrote "Married Love" that women have an increased sex drive around the time of ovulation.
But women would not be sexually receptive at all outside of oestrus.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

Tsiasuk-Pron
Niš
Niš

Post by Tsiasuk-Pron »

Interestingly, the Itlani are a specie with aquatic origins.

Itlani:

Chipizhe, ta Itlantanú dozhvanit meyleyna onyaren.
Ta Miara, ta Varem vey ta Parem! Ta Mabugú Shey Dzevarun!
Hope, Love and Respect! The Beginnings of All Journeys!

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Tsiasuk-Pron wrote:Interestingly, the Itlani are a specie with aquatic origins.

Itlani:

Chipizhe, ta Itlantanú dozhvanit meyleyna onyaren.
What is the origin of the Itlani? I remember that they migrated to their present planet when Atlantis sank, but from whence did they come there?
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

So Haleza Grise wrote:
Mornche Geddick wrote:
So Haleza Grise wrote:
But women would not be sexually receptive at all outside of oestrus.
Wouldn't they? How about the bonobos?

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Mornche Geddick wrote:How about the bonobos?
Bonobos are Great Apes. All Great Apes (i.e. Pan, Homo, Gorilla, and Pongo) have a menstrual rather than estrous cycle. The main differences are that in an estrous cycle, the unused endometrium is reabsorbed rather than expelled, and females with a menstrual cycle can be sexually active at any time.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Great apes have a menstrual cycle AND an oestrus cycle. The menstrual cycle relates to the state of the endothelium, the oestrus cycle to ovulation. Nor is there any reason why any female mammal should not be physically able to have sex outside oestrus whether the endothelium is shed or reabsorbed, provided that she has another reason besides reproduction.

Fruithat
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Fruithat »

Death of Ophelia wrote:I was reading an article on Wiki, about the Aquatic Ape Hypothesis
Whoa, our KneeQuickie wiki has an article on the aquatic ape hypothesis? Where can I find it?
We'll be playmates and lovers and share our secret worlds...

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Xeroderma Pigmentosum wrote:
Death of Ophelia wrote:I was reading an article on Wiki, about the Aquatic Ape Hypothesis
Whoa, our KneeQuickie wiki has an article on the aquatic ape hypothesis? Where can I find it?
I think they mean the regular wikipedia. And in any case the Kneequickie is currently down anyway.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

dear holy fuck necropost

edit:
Xeroderma Pigmentosum wrote:
the KQ didn't EXIST in 2005. Neither did the Almeopedia.
Last edited by Drydic on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Yeah, it has an interesting curriculum:

Died on July 7th, 2005.
Resurrected on June 26th, 2007.
Died again on July 7th, 2007.
Re-resurrected on October 15th, 2011

This thread likes to die on July 7th.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Thry
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Thry »

Izambri wrote:This thread likes to die on July 7th.
Maybe it just can't stand the Sanfermines?

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

Izambri wrote:Yeah, it has an interesting curriculum:

Died on July 7th, 2005.
Resurrected on June 26th, 2007.
Died again on July 7th, 2007.
Re-resurrected on October 15th, 2011

This thread likes to die on July 7th.
How the heck are we supposed to keep it alive for nine more months?!
MI DRALAS, KHARULE MEVO STANI?!

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

Keep on bumping it?
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

Easy: talking about what we are supposed to talk here, Almea and the Aquatic Ape Hypothesis. Off-topic discusions will arise easily, as always happens, until we flood the thread with nonsenseries. In July 7th, 2012 we stop posting here. XD
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Timmytiptoe
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Timmytiptoe »

Anyone up for throwing monkeys into the sea and seeing if they evolve into telepathic blue people? :)

SilentMember
Sanci
Sanci

Post by SilentMember »

Did zomp ever actually post the Verdurian classification system?
The world is made of many ideas,
The hopes and dreams of the weak and wondrous.
They meld and twist from what they were,
And give us the mess surrounding us.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

SilentMember wrote:Did zomp ever actually post the Verdurian classification system?
I haven't worked out the entire biology, but the classification system is described here.