Xurnash, when will it be uploaded

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
linguofreak
Lebom
Lebom

Xurnash, when will it be uploaded

Post by linguofreak »

Xurnash sounds pretty cool, when do we get to find out more about it?

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Give the poor man a break, he's only just slogged through the grammar for Old Skourene!
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Aszev
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aszev »

Dewrad has a point.
Image CERVENIAN
Image JELSH
Miekko wrote:protip: no one wants to learn your conlangs. if they claim different, it's just to be friendly. this is true for all conlangers.

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

You make it sound as if Zompist conlangs purely for our benefit ... I imagine (and I may be wrong) that the real reason he does it is because he gets some enjoyment out of it ... :)

I'm sure he'll get around to it at some time, when he feels like it. Don't rush him though. He's only going to start messing things up if you keep bombarding him with "Is it nearly done yet?"

Plus, people like to enjoy things at their own rate. :)

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

i'm still waiting for Chia-Sha :roll:
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

krinnen
Lebom
Lebom

Post by krinnen »

Curlyjimsam wrote:You make it sound as if Zompist conlangs purely for our benefit ... I imagine (and I may be wrong) that the real reason he does it is because he gets some enjoyment out of it ... :)

I'm sure he'll get around to it at some time, when he feels like it. Don't rush him though. He's only going to start messing things up if you keep bombarding him with "Is it nearly done yet?"

Plus, people like to enjoy things at their own rate. :)
And also:Why don't you study all those other languages he's created? I'm sure you can't be THAT fixated on Xurnash... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Laurie Anderson wrote:Writing about music is like dancing about architecture

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

And of course, unlike a great many of us, :mrgreen: Zomp has a full-time job and a family, not to mention numerous other interests besides conlanging.

In any case, the Almean languages grammars are so detailed and thorough (and becoming more so) that they are generally worth the wait.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

Warmaster wrote:i'm still waiting for Chia-Sha :roll:
Eteod?ole. It's all about Eteod?ole.
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

d-r-k

Post by Delthayre »

I'd pretty much been in eager waiting for Skourene, now that Mr. Rosenfelder's graced us with that, I feel contented.
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I?m still waiting for the list of Cadhnorian emperors! :)

linguofreak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by linguofreak »

krinnen wrote:And also:Why don't you study all those other languages he's created? I'm sure you can't be THAT fixated on Xurnash... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Because I've studied them all. Xurnash seems pretty cool, so I'm wondering when it will come out. Will it be the next to come out, or will it be three years down the road?

Jadyndar
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Jadyndar »

linguofreak wrote:Because I've studied them all. Xurnash seems pretty cool, so I'm wondering when it will come out. Will it be the next to come out, or will it be three years down the road?
The answers to those questions need not be different...
TomHChappell wrote:
Putrid wrote:There is no ɔ but o̞.
And œ is its prophet?

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

linguofreak wrote:
krinnen wrote:And also:Why don't you study all those other languages he's created? I'm sure you can't be THAT fixated on Xurnash... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Because I've studied them all. Xurnash seems pretty cool, so I'm wondering when it will come out. Will it be the next to come out, or will it be three years down the road?
It's often hard to tell what ordering Almean projects will have past the one that's nearest completion. As a hobby, they don't have a huge degree of planned sequence. Elkar?l, for example, got completed essentially as a sidetrack from the Count of Years. (I think a similar thing applies to Flaidish, too, though I really don't know). Similarly, Old Skourene came about when Zomp expanded the vocabulary of Axunashin.

I suppose a good estimate is that Xurn?sh is close (closer than some other language projects, for example, since it is my understanding that components of the Xurn?sh grammar and lexicon already exist), but then again, Zomp may want to complete materials on Endaju? first, or take up another project (like maybe a list of Cadhinorian Emperors, or of s?pa-manufacturers) :). My prediction, FWIW, is that we won't see an Xurn?sh grammar until more stuff on Endaju? exists, either online or not.
Last edited by So Haleza Grise on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

He already has publisht Axuanashin :?
vec

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

But he's going to do the Learn Axunashin in 10 Easy Lessons.

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

Mornche Geddick wrote:But he's going to do the Learn Axunashin in 10 Easy Lessons.
What! Ooooooooooooooooh I can't wait! :mrgreen:

Last edited by Serali on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Zereskaoate"]I am, however a slave to the boingies. [img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/Boingies/th_thsau222jpg-2.gif[/img][/quote]

[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/th_1-1.gif[/img]

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

I'd imagine that Xurnash is rather like Axunashin with a simplified noun and verb conjugation system. (To what degree, of course, I have no idea.)

As an aside: I still don't really know how to pronounce "Xurno"... I want to pronounce the X as /S/ but I'm not sure that's right (I do know "Axunashin" = "Aks(h)unashin")

BG

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

BGMan wrote:As an aside: I still don't really know how to pronounce "Xurno"... I want to pronounce the X as /S/ but I'm not sure that's right (I do know "Axunashin" = "Aks(h)unashin")
The x in Xurno/Xurnásh is a /z/. I'm also eager to see exactly how it's developed from Axunashin...I think Mark said somewhere that it had lost all the noun cases. Just to idly speculate, he might focus on how the syntax works in a more analytical grammar (though only about as analytical as Spanish, maybe)...he's been doing a lot with syntax of late.

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

Me too. I'm dying to see what the writing system looks like.

Last edited by Serali on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Zereskaoate"]I am, however a slave to the boingies. [img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/Boingies/th_thsau222jpg-2.gif[/img][/quote]

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Serali wrote:
Me too. I'm dying to see what the writing system looks like.
That one's easy to answer, at least: the Sha languages of the Koranax are written in a derivation of the Xurnese syllabary (they didn't bother with the logograms); the Chia languages of Luduyn are written in Gurdagor script; and Tei is written in Jippirasti script.

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

What does the Gurdagor script look like?

Legros
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Legros »

zompist wrote:That one's easy to answer, at least: the Sha languages of the Koranax are written in a derivation of the Xurnese syllabary (they didn't bother with the logograms); the Chia languages of Luduyn are written in Gurdagor script; and Tei is written in Jippirasti script.
Eh eh... like Serbo-Croat, which is written in the Cyrillic alphabet in Serbia and in the Latin alphabet in Serbia, and which (presumably in Muslim Bosnia) was even written in the Arabic alphabet during the Turkish domination.
[url=http://perso.orange.fr/saiwosh/man.html]Mansquatchie[/url], a Parallel World where cyborgs rule.

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

Cool! :mrgreen:

ghur
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ghur »

Legros wrote:
zompist wrote:That one's easy to answer, at least: the Sha languages of the Koranax are written in a derivation of the Xurnese syllabary (they didn't bother with the logograms); the Chia languages of Luduyn are written in Gurdagor script; and Tei is written in Jippirasti script.
Eh eh... like Serbo-Croat, which is written in the Cyrillic alphabet in Serbia and in the Latin alphabet in Serbia, and which (presumably in Muslim Bosnia) was even written in the Arabic alphabet during the Turkish domination.
Do you mean Latin in Croatia (you have serbia twice)?

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

Serali wrote:What does the Gurdagor script look like?
It's a derivative of the script for Old Skourene, but we don't know much about it. The OS page says it's simplified somewhat. I think it says somewhere that the syllable markers have turned into diacritic symbols.