The Science behind the Zone of Fire

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

The Science behind the Zone of Fire

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

This is not a question thread, I think that there already has been a thread questionning this climatic or geologic anomaly.

But, I have found something very interesting.

[quote=]Many researchers, but not a real consensus, believe that sea temperatures near the equator may have become a bit too warm by the Aptian-Albian,[mid-Cretaceous], perhaps actually incompatible with ocean life. In addition, some data suggest that land areas near the equator were not jungle- or forest-covered, that plant diversity was low, and that these regions were arid despite being close to the sea. Deep ocean circulation may also have broken down. That is, water continued to circulate horizontally, but not vertically. The deep oceans weren't getting oxygen, and "black shales" appeared in the Aptian-Albian and High Cretaceous. These are large volumes of organic matter in the oceans which never completely decomposed because of lack of deep ocean oxygen. Still, the north-south temperature gradient remained very flat. [/quote]

I was reading this while looking for something about oxygen levels in the mesozoic. When I came by it, I automatically thought about the Zone of Fire, and that Mark might be interested in those details.

It's strange how they describ it the same way the zone of fire is. A rather arid zone, and an abiotic ocean. I don't know if it was thought as a region which couldn't be crossed, but at least, we know that it was devoided of life. (And creatures are known to despise places where there is less life, perhaps not crossing regions where there is no life...)

They give no cause for why this might have happened. A mystery on Earth as well. They did not speak of consequences either.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Soap
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Soap »

The Earth's magnetic field was weaker during most of the Mesozoic era, which according to many scientists would cause the climate to be warmer. Unlike the carbon dioxide-induced warming that is going on now, which only traps outgoing radiation, the weaker magnetic field would cause more radiation to get in, thus causing higher temperatures everywhere, even in the already-hot tropics. The magnitude of this warming, if it ever actually happened, is anyone's guess, but it is noteworthy that there were apparently no ice ages during the entire Mesozoic even though for much of the time the continents were in the perfect positions to trigger a long and very cold glacial period.
Sunàqʷa the Sea Lamprey says:

Debegduk ing Debegduked
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Debegduk ing Debegduked »

Fascinating! I believe M.A.R. Barker's Tekumel incorporates a similarly uninhabitable equatorial region. To think that it might have existed here on Earth after all...
U bronazda Lin, broZuspabimaded guze ner liuringemeni!

boomajoom
Sanci
Sanci

Post by boomajoom »

I remember reading in "The Dream of Scipio" of something similar to this. Is this where zompist got the idea?
Back from the dead!

http://boomajoom.livejournal.com/

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/boomajoom/kokopelli.gif[/img]

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

He could have got the idea from The Discarded Image. In mediaeval times educated people believed the equator was too hot to sustain life. The fact that there was a huge burning desert just south of Egypt and Morocco probably looked like proof.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Thanks for the info, Yiuel. Interesting to know that there could have been an analogue to the Zone of Fire on earth. I wouldn't rule out intervention by the Powers...

Now I may have to add something weirder to Almea. :)

Blackhand
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Blackhand »

A voclano that spews cold water.
[quote]<Maknas> Run around the Arizona desert with a gun and claim you're fighting Al-Qaeda, that'll definitely make you known.[/quote]

Kuh-five
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Kuh-five »

blackhand wrote:A voclano that spews cold water.
I've heard of ice volcanoes (on one of Jupiter's moons) but not water volcanoes. That's called a fountain. :wink:
[quote="Downtimer"]I was "let go" (canned, but no one said it straight out) from a daycare center because I was too affectionate with the kids (that's just how I am, I'm not a molester or anything)[/quote]

ghur
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ghur »

Feijuada wrote:
I've heard of ice volcanoes (on one of Jupiter's moons) but not water volcanoes. That's called a fountain. :wink:
Actually I think it's a moon of neptune.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Feijuada wrote:
How many natural fountains have you heard of, aside from seaside blowholes?
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Curlyjimsam
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Curlyjimsam »

Darth Drydic wrote:
Feijuada wrote:
Blackhand wrote:A volcano that spews cold water.
How many natural fountains have you heard of, aside from seaside blowholes?
Well, there're geysers, aren't there, except they're hot water rather than cold.

Um.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Exactly. It's the cold part that makes it whacked.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Lest of course there are temperature differences, say if the pressure of the water below the ice crust was far below freezing and the warm current is only slightly above freezing...

(This is a model of a moon in one of my conworlds, which interestingly enough has an impure uranium core covered in ice. Don't ask me how it got there!)

Iridium
Niš
Niš

Post by Iridium »

Technically speaking a volcano is basically anything that spews out "molten" material that then later cools and if it was liquid, would be solidifying. So here on Earth our volcanoes spit out molten material, ash, gases, and rock fragments - while on Io it molten sulphur, and on Triton it's molten nitrogen. :P

As for the "zone of fire" I thought it was definately one interesting aspect of Zomp's conworld since I found the site a few years ago.