Small curiousity

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Piero
Sanci
Sanci

Small curiousity

Post by Piero »

As I'm creating a conlang with a quasi-triconsonantal root system, I had a look at the Old Skourene lexicon and saw that the vocabulary is organized by root: I was wondering, Mark, how many roots do you have in it?
I know, I'm lazy... Anyways, in my conlang I have 512 possible roots, but I think it's a too small number to derive the whole lexicon. What can I do?
Thanks
If you think that pride is about nationality, you're wrong

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Small curiousity

Post by Legion »

Piero Lo Monaco wrote:As I'm creating a conlang with a quasi-triconsonantal root system, I had a look at the Old Skourene lexicon and saw that the vocabulary is organized by root: I was wondering, Mark, how many roots do you have in it?
I know, I'm lazy... Anyways, in my conlang I have 512 possible roots, but I think it's a too small number to derive the whole lexicon. What can I do?
Thanks
If I count right*, that means you have triconsonantal root but only 8 consonants to throw in them. I suggest to add more consonant. With only two more consonant you'll have 1000 roots. Five more and you reach 3375. With 20 consonants you'll have 8000 possible roots, which I believe is, associated with word-derivation processes, more than enough.

(* : I assume you don't have biconsonantal roots with (approximately) 22,627417 consonants to throw in them, otherwise you'll have to explain me how did you do).

Piero
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Piero »

Legion wrote:If I count right*, that means you have triconsonantal root but only 8 consonants to throw in them.
Not really: I have 24 consonants in total, which are divided in 8 (as you said) groups. Say you have g1-g-2-g3 root (indicating a group with "g"): it can appears in various forms, where the groups take a hard, a soft or a nasal/approximant grade.
Example:
G1: p b m
G2: t d n
G3: c˙ g˙ nh
root: G1-G3-G2
it can appears as p-nh-t or b-c˙-d etc.etc.

I don't know if I explained it well

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

Piero Lo Monaco wrote:
Legion wrote:If I count right*, that means you have triconsonantal root but only 8 consonants to throw in them.
Not really: I have 24 consonants in total, which are divided in 8 (as you said) groups. Say you have g1-g-2-g3 root (indicating a group with "g"): it can appears in various forms, where the groups take a hard, a soft or a nasal/approximant grade.
Example:
G1: p b m
G2: t d n
G3: c˙ g˙ nh
root: G1-G3-G2
it can appears as p-nh-t or b-c˙-d etc.etc.

I don't know if I explained it well
Oh I see, it an interesting system, but quite restrictive ! If you don't want to change the basis of the system, you'll have to have LOT of derivation processes. That is, many different vowel stems with precise meanings, prefixes, suffixes, infixes. Lot of pre and postpositions may also be usefull.

Piero
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Piero »

Legion wrote:Oh I see, it an interesting system, but quite restrictive ! If you don't want to change the basis of the system, you'll have to have LOT of derivation processes. That is, many different vowel stems with precise meanings, prefixes, suffixes, infixes. Lot of pre and postpositions may also be usefull.
Well, I think that with an average of 10 words per root I can already have something like 5100 terms: it's not too bad :D