Updated Verdurian street scene

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Updated Verdurian street scene

Post by zompist »

Old picture:

New picture:

dunomapuka
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dunomapuka »

Happy New Year!

This is lovely. I especially like the redo of the shop window on the left and the fortress in the back. (=Arcaln?)

What part of the city did you picture this being in?

Twpsyn Pentref
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Twpsyn Pentref »

I love the realistic reflections in the spilt water on the road.
So take this body at sunset to the great stream whose pulses start in the blue hills, and let these ashes drift from the Long Bridge where only a late gull breaks that deep and populous grave.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Parete re?n?- so řuk im so?n ret?n ?ayne esan ly? francric?.

That looks pretty- the castle in the background looks very French.

Hamal i etora- uthayuntha hamal i rou freŋeca.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Iridium
Niš
Niš

Post by Iridium »

Very neat representation. I wonder if the street is made from some sort of stucco or brick. The people look quite realistic. Overall very nice. :P

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

boy #12 wrote:What part of the city did you picture this being in?
The castle in the back is indeed Arcaln, so this would be in the Nezi neighborhood which it overshadows.

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GreenBowTie »

You should take a photo!

Jipí
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Jipí »

What he said :)

It's a great difference to the original picture. Very nice.

/me wishes he could draw

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

I notice no s?pas are worn. Is it not fashionable headgear in that part of the city?

Xeon
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Xeon »

Very, very nice! Is there a chance we could see more pictures like this in the future?

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

Talk about making a chap feel inadequate - what a way to start the year :evil:

Seriously, the new picture is a great improvement, and it has quite a lot more atmosphere. I wish I could draw anything like as well as that :(
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

I never noticed that castle before...

Legros
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Legros »

Very nice. I hadn't noticed all the differences, although I look at the new picture all the time: I use it as wallpaper on my office computer :)

I showed the picture to a friend. He told me that the style resembles Herg?'s Tintin drawings. I hadn't realized it before.

This picture has always been my favorite. Thank you for improving it!
[url=http://perso.orange.fr/saiwosh/man.html]Mansquatchie[/url], a Parallel World where cyborgs rule.

Cro Magnon
Niš
Niš

Post by Cro Magnon »

Looks great!

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

The fellow in the blue shirt is better posed in the new picture - in the original he looked as though he was going to fall over backwards!

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Legros wrote:I showed the picture to a friend. He told me that the style resembles Herg?'s Tintin drawings. I hadn't realized it before.

Thanks! I'm not sure I agree about Herg?, but I'll take it as a compliment. Perhaps it's an image from the never-issued Tintin en Verdurie, where Tintin must go after Dupond and Dupont who have disguised themselves as Cadhinorian emperors...

Circeus
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Circeus »

zompist wrote:
Legros wrote:I showed the picture to a friend. He told me that the style resembles Herg?'s Tintin drawings. I hadn't realized it before.

Thanks! I'm not sure I agree about Herg?, but I'll take it as a compliment. Perhaps it's an image from the never-issued Tintin en Verdurie, where Tintin must go after Dupond and Dupont who have disguised themselves as Cadhinorian emperors...
Well, the original picture is reminiscent of Herg?'s ligne claire, I think, but the new one definitely isn't.
Golden age set the moral standard, the Silver Age revised it, the Bronze Age broke free of it and the Rust Age ran wild with it. -- A. David Lewis

We're all under strict orders not to bite the newbies. -- Amaya

doctrellor
Sanci
Sanci

Post by doctrellor »

very nice Zomp, I like the new pic..

Maybe you can tweak the old one to make it more of an evening or twilight scene, since the new one definately looks like Mid-day

or even a differening season, like winter, or fall?
Nilikuonyesha nyota (mwezi) na uliangalia kidole tu.
I pointed out to you the stars (the moon) and all you saw was the tip of my finger.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

This may be thread-hijacking...

On the picture I note that there are written (shop?) signs on some houses. I know that for a long time, people went by with symbols indicating the purpose of a place - i.e. the striped pole for a barber shop, etc. At some point, when a sufficient number of people became literate, written indications were added, which later replaced the symbols. Does anybody know when written shop signs became the usual thing on Earth (and when on Almea)? My gut feeling would be between the 16th and the early 19th century for Western and Central Europe, but if anybody has more details, I'd like to know.
Best regards,

Hans-Werner

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

That would be an interesting to find out. I've always been curious about Verdurian societal things, the nickpicks. When they write, what do they abbreviate? Do they have an etc., ktl. I'd think that signs may have been a commonplace article even before, since the written word would imply a mass populace of literacy and well, a symbol like a striped pole would be easier to see from afar than letters written. Or so I think.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Hey, it's no fun to develop an alphabet and not use it. :) Verduria would be at least as literate as ancient Rome, which had plenty of graffitti.

Pictures could be used as well-- note that the tavern in the foreground has a picture of a cup of beer.

I've always assumed that Old Verdurian, at least, was full of abbreviations. Medieval Latin was as well. You'd get even more in fields where obscurity is an advantage, like magic, alchemy, and medicine. But abbreviations are on the retreat since the invention of printing and the spelling reform.

Ancenande
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Ancenande »

It's much better than the old one. I wish I could draw so nicely...

Vrugore

Post by Vrugore »

yes, i think so... :)

Leo
Niš
Niš

Post by Leo »

I like the stairs to the fountain, it breaks the geometry that so many peoples are endeared by. Is it tiles, or stones, that cover the streets?

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Kinetiq wrote:Is it tiles, or stones, that cover the streets?
There's a difference?
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá