Verdurian speaking people check this out!

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
lifeisan8

Verdurian speaking people check this out!

Post by lifeisan8 »

Is there anyone out there willing to give me a hand in learning Verdurian. I have been looking over Marks work for a few days now and have been absolutely fasinated. If you can help me please just post here. If you do this for me i might be able to help you with something in return.

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Verdurian speaking people check this out!

Post by Mecislau »

lifeisan8 wrote:Is there anyone out there willing to give me a hand in learning Verdurian. I have been looking over Marks work for a few days now and have been absolutely fasinated. If you can help me please just post here. If you do this for me i might be able to help you with something in return.
See the Does anyone Wanna... thread, and substitute "Barakhinei" with "Verdurian".

Av,
Maknas :roll:

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Maknas wrote:
lifeisan8 wrote:Is there anyone out there willing to give me a hand in learning Verdurian. I have been looking over Marks work for a few days now and have been absolutely fasinated. If you can help me please just post here. If you do this for me i might be able to help you with something in return.
See the Does anyone Wanna... thread, and substitute "Barakhinei" with "Verdurian".

Av,
Although if you're interested in Verdurian (as opposed to Barakhinei), you should have an easier time, since Mark has already created the Practical Course in Verdurian to give people a start. I highly recommend it. :)

p@,
Glenn

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Glenn Kempf wrote:
Maknas wrote:

Av,
Although if you're interested in Verdurian (as opposed to Barakhinei), you should have an easier time, since Mark has already created the Practical Course in Verdurian to give people a start. I highly recommend it.
:)
p@,
Glenn
Oh, yeah. I forgot about that :oops:

Yeah, I recommend it too. Just don't forget to practice!

Av,
Maknas :oops:

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

The Practical Course should make it about as easy as learning any other language. Beyond that, you have to try it out. I suggest writing any sort of drivel here on the board; I and anyone else who can figure it out can respond or correct you, if you want that.

If it seems that there's a demand for it, we can try a conversation on irc.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

facinated, not fasinated

Post by vec »

faCinated, hate incorrect spelling...

PS, I'm not even English speaking.

ES, on a second thoght, I am. But not as a native language anyway...
vec

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: facinated, not fasinated

Post by Glenn »

vegfarandi wrote:faCinated, hate incorrect spelling...

As a former professional copy editor, incorrect spelling sometimes bothers me as well, although I've learned to live with it. (Please watch your own spelling, though: it should be "thought" (admittedly a tough one :wink: ), and, I presume, "YES" for "ES".)

Good to have you aboard, however; I think you may be the first person to post to the Zompist BBoard from Iceland!

p@,
Glenn

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Then you should be doubly careful about "correcting" other people's spelling. You got the word wrong yourself; it's 'fascinated'.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Incorrect spelling

Post by vec »

ES means the same as PS, and the thought thing was an keyboard error. I have an problem with Y U I O buttons.
vec

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

I was wrong, fascinated, not facinated...

Post by vec »

I was wrong, fascinated, not facinated...
vec

Soren
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Soren »

Vegfarandi?

Am I right in thinking that this is a compound from <vegur> and the verb <a? fara>? Something to do with a road driver perhaps?

Kve?ja,

-S?ren-

Fee
Niš
Niš

Post by Fee »

This post got me to thinking... I haven't learned any naturalistic conlangs (I'm conversational in Esperanto, though), and I was thinking, assuming that there would be a good grammar and course structure, would it be easier to learn a naturalistic conlang than to learn a natlang? Wouldn't the fact that it was created by someone with a predilection for languages make it easier... somehow? I dunno, I was just wondering :oops:
Speak the truth, then leave quickly.
-Serbian Proverb

<i>I used to be a great speller. Then I got into linguistics.</i>

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Fee wrote:This post got me to thinking... I haven't learned any naturalistic conlangs (I'm conversational in Esperanto, though), and I was thinking, assuming that there would be a good grammar and course structure, would it be easier to learn a naturalistic conlang than to learn a natlang? Wouldn't the fact that it was created by someone with a predilection for languages make it easier... somehow? I dunno, I was just wondering :oops:
Verdurian might be a bit easier than (say) Spanish, because although it tries to be naturalistic, it doesn't have the full complexity of a natural language.

On the other hand, it's harder to practice. Very few people have a grandmother or employee or the like who only speaks Verdurian.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

Fee wrote:This post got me to thinking... I haven't learned any naturalistic conlangs (I'm conversational in Esperanto, though), and I was thinking, assuming that there would be a good grammar and course structure, would it be easier to learn a naturalistic conlang than to learn a natlang? Wouldn't the fact that it was created by someone with a predilection for languages make it easier... somehow? I dunno, I was just wondering :oops:
I'd say it depends. If it's an auxlang, it would probably would be easier to learn than a natlang. If it's an artlang, it would depend on how good the conlang is. The better the language, the more difficult to learn.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

??????

Post by vec »

S?ren, hvernig vissir ???

?etta var r?tt hj? ??r, en m?li? er a? ?etta er ekki um a? keyra um, heldur ? ?g heima ? Vegh?sum og ?etta var nafni? ? geimskipinu sem heimas??an m?n var um.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just if you are good enough at Icelandic...

S?ren, how did you know?

It's correct, but it's not about driving around. I live at a street named Vegh?s, and I created a name for a starship that my website was about, from that name.
vec

Soren
Sanci
Sanci

Re: ??????

Post by Soren »

vegfarandi wrote:S?ren, hvernig vissir ???

?etta var r?tt hj? ??r, en m?li? er a? ?etta er ekki um a? keyra um, heldur ? ?g heima ? Vegh?sum og ?etta var nafni? ? geimskipinu sem heimas??an m?n var um.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just if you are good enough at Icelandic...

S?ren, how did you know?

It's correct, but it's not about driving around. I live at a street named Vegh?s, and I created a name for a starship that my website was about, from that name.
I deduced from Norwegian and German, and from what little Icelandic I know. I started learning Icelandic recently..I can't write much yet but I can read a little more.

sasasha
Sanci
Sanci

Post by sasasha »

gAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhghghgghAAAAA! not faCinated, faSCinated! dont correct if ur incorrect!

(sorry, but i hate people telling someone that theyve done it wrong and then doing it even wronger after!)
If you were eager to learn how it might be to buy what surely would have turned out to be those sixteen cows I think I may have discussed with you (if indeed it was you whomwith I had that conversation), I'm afraid I shouldn't be able to help you.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

sasasha wrote:

gAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhghghgghAAAAA! not faCinated, faSCinated! dont correct if ur incorrect!

(sorry, but i hate people telling someone that theyve done it wrong and then doing it even wronger after!)
In that case: "you're," not "ur" (though I suspect that was just shorthand). And there is no such word as "wronger." And you missed apostrophes in "they've" and "don't." And you didn't capitalize "I."

Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

And if we're going to be pedantic, "after" should be "afterwards" - its "after" only when connecting phrases, not when used as an adverb.

And you missed out the capital letters at the beginning of all the sentences.

And it should be "somebody" not "someone" - "someone" indicates that there is some one that all the people you speak about correct, rather than, as I suspect you mean, that these people each correct somebody.

It's a minor and a prescriptivist point, but as a resident pedant and logician I thought that I should point it out.

GreenBowTie
Lebom
Lebom

Post by GreenBowTie »

Salmoneus wrote:And if we're going to be pedantic, "after" should be "afterwards" - its "after" only when connecting phrases, not when used as an adverb.
I think it can be used alone meaning "afterward(s)". It's not as common as using "before" as "beforehand", but it still works.
And it should be "somebody" not "someone" - "someone" indicates that there is some one that all the people you speak about correct, rather than, as I suspect you mean, that these people each correct somebody.
Um. What?

Shinali Sishi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Shinali Sishi »

Whimemsz wrote:
sasasha wrote:

In that case: "you're," not "ur" (though I suspect that was just shorthand). And there is no such word as "wronger." And you missed apostrophes in "they've" and "don't." And you didn't capitalize "I."
It's the First Rule of Correction:
He who corrects will invariably make at least one error in, or shortly after making, the correction :mrgreen:
It's a fact of life. There is no getting around it! (well, short of using spell-check)

ALIMD, "someone" is more correct than "somebody"
But that may not be true for your dialect. :wink:
Vanafanyu
Kegewa nita li alana!

Salmoneus

Post by Salmoneus »

"ALIMD"? I've not heard that one.

What I was saying was that "someone" and "somebody" are logical (or "real") singular and logical (or "real") plural. Equivalent to the two meanings of the famous sentence (in logic at least) "every girl loves a sailor". Except that we don't distinguish with names and descriptions, only... I'm sorry, i've forgotten the name of the catagory. I want to call them "signifiers", but I'm not sure that's right - words like "someone", "nobody", "everything" etc.
An example of the difference:
"All these things were done to no-one" = there is no one such that all these things were done to them.
"All these things to nobody" = for all these things, there is no one such that that thing was done to them.

"people tell someone that..." - there is some one such that people tell them that....
"people tell somebody that..." - for each person, there is some one such that that person tells them that...

A more intuitive example (ie more common in colloquial speech):
"Somebody told everybody" - Each person has been told, each by some teller (who may or may not have been the same)
"Someone told everybody" - Each person has been told, by one teller.

Since "everybody" and "everyone" refer to the same number of people, the difference here is more one of emphasis - "everyone" implies "people as an entity" whilst "everybody" implies a group of individuals.
Eg. If there's a rumour that everybody knows, its possible that "someone told everyone" - this has suggestions of gathering everyone around and making an announcement. Whereas if "someone told everybody", the suggestion is that some person went around for quiet chats with people individually. And if "somebody told everybody", there may be more than one person spreading the rumour. "Somebody told everyone" and "Someone told everyone" are for practical purposes the same, I think.

I'm sorry if the above is wrong or incomplete - I've not begun the Predicate Calculus yet (still on Propositional), so this is all from "introduction" level stuff.

Shinali Sishi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Shinali Sishi »

Salmoneus wrote:"ALIMD"? I've not heard that one.

<snip long complicated explanation>
That's because I made it up! :mrgreen:
It means "At least in my dialect" (or if you prefer, substitute I for D and make it idiolect)

Basically I'm saying that conversationally (which I believe the post in question to be) "someone" makes more sense to me.

I rarely hear "somebody" except in "Is there somebody who..." or "I met somebody who..."

The ALIMD is the easy way out, because it resorts to something that doesn't need explaining. :wink:

Edit: Someone and somebody are both singular. When you get into logic problems it gets horrobly complicated as to what "someone" means, but conversationally "someone" and "somebody" are the same
Someone comes into the store and asks a question.
Somebody comes into the store and asks a question.
(I know these work better in past, but imagine a narrator is describing a scene)
Last edited by Shinali Sishi on Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanafanyu
Kegewa nita li alana!

Dudicon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Dudicon »

IMD, "someone" and "somebody" are almost entirely synonymous. In fact, thinking it out, I can't come up with any instances where I'd prefer one over the other, so I generally just use "someone" because it's shorter.

By the way, thanks for the new initialism, Dazi. :D

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Dudicon wrote:IMD, "someone" and "somebody" are almost entirely synonymous. In fact, thinking it out, I can't come up with any instances where I'd prefer one over the other, so I generally just use "someone" because it's shorter.

By the way, thanks for the new initialism, Dazi. :D
Yes! We have finally created our own abbreviations!
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.