Almean languages I'd like to see

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Almean languages I'd like to see

Post by WeepingElf »

Hallo!

There are two Almean languages I'd really like to see.

First, a Chia-Sha language, with sound changes and all. It would be nice to see how an IE-like Eastern language turns into something typologically like Chinese (at least, that's what I understand Chia-Sha languages to be like - monosyllabic, tonal, isolating).

Second, an ilii language. The only hint at the nature of ilii languages is a passage in the page on Cuezi that ilian writing doesn't easily transfer to human phonetics (in the discussion of the origin of the Cuezi alphabet). How do they speak underwater, and how do they speak above water? Are their phonemes human-like at all? This would interest me.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Almean languages I'd like to see

Post by con quesa »

WeepingElf wrote:Second, an ilii language. The only hint at the nature of ilii languages is a passage in the page on Cuezi that ilian writing doesn't easily transfer to human phonetics (in the discussion of the origin of the Cuezi alphabet). How do they speak underwater, and how do they speak above water? Are their phonemes human-like at all? This would interest me.
I was reading up on the things Zomp said about Eteodäole on the old message board, and holy christ is that language going to be utterly non-human. Count me as another who is very interested in Eteodäole.
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

In fact, from what I understand of the Iliu languages, we're not looking at anything that humans think of or structure. Their words are more like musical genres, being mutable to suit the attitude of the argument and the style. Ideas are carried through this medium in another way than we're used to. It's not impossible for a human to learn an iliu language, but I don't think it's easy.

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

Hallo!
Neek wrote:In fact, from what I understand of the Iliu languages, we're not looking at anything that humans think of or structure. Their words are more like musical genres, being mutable to suit the attitude of the argument and the style. Ideas are carried through this medium in another way than we're used to. It's not impossible for a human to learn an iliu language, but I don't think it's easy.
Is it, perhaps, something like whalesong? I'm curious.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

WeepingElf wrote:Is it, perhaps, something like whalesong? I'm curious.
I don't think it's similiar to whalesong in terms of structure, but it may sound a bit like it, at least underwater...

Mark's description of the iliu language, posted on the old Virtual Verduria Message Board a few years ago, may be found here; the relevant text is as follows:
zompist wrote:For the ilii, what I've done so far is take a list of apparent universals of human language, and attempt to violate all of them. For instance, iliu language is not primarily communicative, has no pronouns, is not linear (i.e. doesn't consist of one sign after another, nor is it limited to saying one thing at a time). Words are not uniform, sound is not related arbitrarily to symbol, and the concepts handled most directly by human speech (e.g. attitude, style, emotional feeling) are the direct content of iliu speech, while what for us is the 'content' (actual actions, attributes, and actors) is left to be inferred.
Mark has said that it may be a long time before he be able to do Eteodäole justice, and that it might help if he grows an extra brain in the meantime. :wink: He's also noted that to humans, it resembles music or singing (at least above water), as opposed to the ktuvok languages, also adapted for both environments, which sound "percussive".

Hope that helps...

p@,
Glenn

Piero
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Piero »

zompist wrote:For the ilii, what I've done so far is take a list of apparent universals of human language, and attempt to violate all of them. For instance, iliu language is not primarily communicative, has no pronouns, is not linear (i.e. doesn't consist of one sign after another, nor is it limited to saying one thing at a time). Words are not uniform, sound is not related arbitrarily to symbol, and the concepts handled most directly by human speech (e.g. attitude, style, emotional feeling) are the direct content of iliu speech, while what for us is the 'content' (actual actions, attributes, and actors) is left to be inferred.
In other words, it must be fascinating
If you think that pride is about nationality, you're wrong

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Nay, not fascinating. But brilliant.