Translation into Verdurian needed (different!)

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Translation into Verdurian needed (different!)

Post by Shm Jay »

Emai! Here?s a challenge for you all: Verdurian cataloguing terminology!

I need the following translated into Verdurian, made consistent with the culture, and posted as a ?picture? so I can cut and paste it and use it in a lecture for librarians I will do in a couple of weeks. It is in MARC21 (cataloguing data) and I am going to make the point that MARC21 can be used to catalogue anything, even languages on alien worlds, so I will show people what the catalogue record for the book looks like in the computers of the University of Verduria Library (which, of course, use MARC21).

Anything red must remain in Roman, and preferably in red. The fonts (both Roman and Maraille) should really be in a fixed-width format, like Courier, if that is possible. The punctuation in indigo (which is the : ; + /) I will explain in a bit. Regular punctuation should be converted to its exact Verdurian equivalents (keshash and boly?she keshash). Alas, the non-obvious spacing is important, so please replace all the ugly ^ with a blank space.

This, by the way, is a simple catalogue record. :mrgreen:

100^1^^Revouse,^Fatandor,?cShm.

245^10^Pere alautas i Cadhinor^ :?ba textbook for avisar students^/?cby Fatandor Revouse^;^edited by Mark Rosenfelder.

250^^^^18th ed.

260^^^^?esifo^:?b King?s Ministry of Education,?c3480.

300^^^^187 p.^:?bill.^;?c18 cm.

650^^v^Cadhinorian language^+?vOnem?+?x For avisar students.

Glosses

245: whoever does this for me can replace Mark?s name with theirs :)

250: I need an abbreviation for the Verdurian word for ?edition?.

260: Everyone forgets about ?esifo, so I?ll have my book published there :) I assume that the one of the dalu?s ministries publishes textbooks.

300: I need abbreviations for the Verdurian word for ?pages?, ?illustrations?, and the local unit of measurement.

650: I assume the cultural equivalent of ?Library of Congress Subject Headings? is something like ?University of Verduria Word List?, but if the University of Verduria doesn?t do this, then I need to know who does. (If it?s not them, replace the v with another Roman letter, like a for Aranicer, (but not o for O?nea, it looks too much like 0). I also figured out that ?onem?? would serve well for ?textbooks?.

I also need to know what is the cultural equivalent of the ?Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules?. Who set up the rules to decide how to catalogue a book? It needn?t be a committee, it can be the Melvil Dewey of the Cadhinorian Plain.

As for the green punctuation, perhaps the + and / could be replaced with the Verdurian equivalents of + and ? . The : and ; I don?t know what to replace with. Perhaps we could make up some special signs?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Translation into Verdurian needed (different!)

Post by zompist »

For the actual picture, I suggest you use Philip's text-to-graphic utility at

http://www.shavian.org/verdurian/trypic3.cgi

If you choose "Verdurian" as the output font, you'll get a Courier-like font. It will properly turn "ch" into the single ch character, and so on. You'll have to change the colors yourself.

Translations:

a textbook for avisar students - ivro pro visanir and avisaruin
edited by M.R. - curonne Mark Rhasmesti
18th ed. - 18e iml.
Ministry of Education - Redhreo elrise i Sum?ria
pages - c.
illustrated - risun.
18 cm - 1.5 manoi, or if you like, 1 mano 12 ed?
Cadhinorian Language - Cadhinor
For avisar students - and avisaruin

The catalog for Verdurian libraries would be, as you surmise, the University of Verduria. I'd call it the University of Verduria Library Book List: Binea ivro? Ivros?tei Shriftan?ei i Verd?ria.

That's fine for a book published in Zhesifo but held in a Verdurian library. If you want the catalog card to come from a Zhesifo library, we'd be dealing with the Imperial Library Shelf Number: Hicet rayore i Ivros?tei elris?i.