Uesti Height

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Jeos Thegimis
Niš
Niš

Uesti Height

Post by Jeos Thegimis »

Hey, I was wondering, how tall are the Uesti? the General range, local averages, stuff like that. It came to my mind when I was watching something on Television (or something I read, I cannot remember, strangely enough), and it mentioned how the Romans were up to several inches shorter than the Germanic people to the north (which added to their intimidation).

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

There was another question about this, but I'm too lazy to go find it. I picture it as similar to Earth (with perhaps a bit better sanitation, because uesti hate to be far from running water). I suspect the ancient Germans were taller because they were less crowded, and thus healthier. The agricultural lifestyle isn't really that good for humans.

So, the barbarians are probably taller than the inhabitants of the Plain. I picture the Skourenes (and Gurdagor) as being a bit runty as well.

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

zompist wrote:There was another question about this, but I'm too lazy to go find it.
I went ahead and found it. :wink: The question occured in the Flaidish language thread, and the answer was as follows:
zompist wrote:Verdurian males probably average 5' 6" (apologies to metric users); flaids average about a foot taller. (Ilii average a couple inches taller than flaids, but are much more heavyset.)
Hope that helps. :)
zompist wrote: I picture it as similar to Earth (with perhaps a bit better sanitation, because uesti hate to be far from running water). I suspect the ancient Germans were taller because they were less crowded, and thus healthier. The agricultural lifestyle isn't really that good for humans.

So, the barbarians are probably taller than the inhabitants of the Plain. I picture the Skourenes (and Gurdagor) as being a bit runty as well.
I have also heard (without explicit proof) that populations with a high proportion of meat (=protein) in their diet tend to be taller on average, all else being equal--there are many other variables, of course. This claim was also made in the context of "barbarians vs. 'civilized' folk."

p@,
Glenn

Drakes
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Drakes »

zompist wrote:The agricultural lifestyle isn't really that good for humans.
Well, maybe it's not as good for us as being hunter-gatherers, but it's better than being cooped up in cities!
drake
Etymology: Middle English; akin to Old High German an[i]trahho[/i] drake
Date: 14th century
: a male duck

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

pastoralist wrote:
zompist wrote:The agricultural lifestyle isn't really that good for humans.
Well, maybe it's not as good for us as being hunter-gatherers, but it's better than being cooped up in cities!
"The agricultural lifestyle" includes the building of cities, which can only be achieved under intense cultivation of the land.