So... who're ewemi?

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.

Your Axunemi gender

Gume
9%
Zim
1%
Ewez
90%

Total votes: 79

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

So... who're ewemi?

Post by zompist »

Madrigal wrote:I've known people to assume somebody's gay on very slim evidence. Like a friend of mine who thought another friend was gay... "Because he's so nice. And his room is clean." Or another one who thought the same about a different friend "because he's so shy around girls." Almost all of my guy friends who like reading and don't talk constantly about wanting to sleep with some girl have been called and considered gay. Same for the girls who don't gush over boys.
My first reaction on reading this was "Oh, they're all ewemi."

Explanation here for those who, strangely, are unfamiliar with Axunemi culture: http://www.zompist.com/meshaism.htm#three

So it occurred to me to ask... if we had the Axunemi categories, would you be a gume, zim, or ewez? (Don't consider the sex(es) you're attracted to in answering, just your personality and interests; though if you like, you can say if you're attracted to gumei, zimi, or ewemi.)

My guess is that if you are all honest in your self-šešedu, ewemi would be the vast majority on the board.

I would definitely be an ewez and attracted to other ewemi (though only female ones).

Hmm, just for fun, I'll use the polling option.

TzirTzi
Lebom
Lebom

Post by TzirTzi »

Given the vastly academic nature of conlanging, it would seem to need explanation if any serious conlanger didnt consider themself ewemi.

Was the idea inspired by any similar phenomena in human cultures? It would be rather cool if it had happened somewhere...
Salmoneus wrote:The existence of science has not been homosexually proven.

aardwolf
Sanci
Sanci

Post by aardwolf »

I'd be ewemi, though I'd be attracted to gume.

EDIT: More polls!

Anguipes
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Anguipes »

Ewez, and attracted to... anything. :roll:
"It is quite certain, in particular, that I have always been insane." ~ Aleister Crowley

"Save us all from arrogant men/And all the causes they're for/I won't be righteous again/I'm not that sure any more." ~ Shades of Grey, Billy Joel

Prâon Céšûc
Niš
Niš

Post by Prâon Céšûc »

Ewemi... and attracted to females... preferably other ewemi.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

TzirTzi wrote:Was the idea inspired by any similar phenomena in human cultures? It would be rather cool if it had happened somewhere...
The Navajo have a third gender -- two-spirited people (I think the term is "berdache" (?), maybe Jeff would know) -- though it functions differently, of course. I've actually wondered if that was an inspiration for the ewemi.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

Space Dracula
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Space Dracula »

Assuming a gume is masculine, I'd be that physically--I'm stocky, reasonably strong for not working out, and very hairy--but an ewez mentally. I tend not to consider myself to be manly at all.
<Dudicon> i would but you're too fat to fit in my mouth!!

¡Papapishu!
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ¡Papapishu! »

I'm abstaining.

Gremlins
Sanci
Sanci
Location: The western spiral arm of Great Britain (we don't have toilets)

Post by Gremlins »

I'm an ewemi. However, I am a hot blooded male, so the whole "no kids" thing is a bit of a let-down.
[quote="dinnae"][quote="Sano"]I'm a Homo sapien, does that count?[/quote]

Only if you go Erectus in the presence of the same sex.[/quote]

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

Physically i suppose i'd always have to be male (i am 6,2 and quite strongly built) but in just about every other sense i would be an Ewemi, so hence, that one :P
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

tsmoss
Niš
Niš

Post by tsmoss »

Ewez, and by Axunemi standards trisexual, though mostly attracted to other ewemi.

kodé
Lebom
Lebom

Post by kodé »

I'm a big sports enthusiast (playing and watching), relatively aggressive, enjoy doing stupid, "manly" stuff with the guys. I'm very proud of my broad-shouldered, hairy, overweight body. I'm quite a galoot, kinda slobby, in many ways like Fred Flintstone or Homer Simpson.

However, I'm very dedicated to intellectual pursuits. When not roughhousing, playing or watching sports, or otherwise being a big hairy galoot (man, that word describes me well! I could be at that convention in that Far Side strip...), I'm invariably reading about or creating worlds, languages, histories, religions, or playing Civ.

I guess I'd be evenly split between gume and ewez in personality. And, I'd probably split my time hanging out with either gumei or ewemi. Though I'm attracted to zimi, I probably wouldn't spend much time around one unless in a romantic relationship.

EDIT: I voted "gume", though with reservations. I'm probably more of a gume than most on this board, but I definitely have an ewez side. Unfortunately, I could only vote for one option, so... there you go.
linguoboy wrote:
GrinningManiac wrote:Local pronunciation - /ˈtoʊ.stə/
Ah, so now I know where Towcester pastries originated! Cheers.

Radagast
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Radagast »

I was about to make a post in the gay topic stating that I am heterosexual but probably mostly for cultural reasons. I think that a large middle group could be either homo or heterosexual but i depends on the culture they grow up in which of the two they actually become. I feel very attracted to women and not at all to men but I dont have strong feelings of unnaturalness regarding homosexuality. I suppose if I had lived in ancient greece or a similar homosexuality accepting cxulture I would have practicd as much buggery as anyone else around here.

Any way: ewez attracted to ewez and zim.
[i]D'abord on ne parla qu'en poésie ; on ne s'avisa de raisonner que long-temps après.[/i] J. J. Rousseau, Sur l'origine des langues. 1783

Mr. Saturday
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Mr. Saturday »

Ewez attracted to other Ewemi and ... zimi?
Roll the dice.
Every soul's got a price.

[b]Chaotic Sexy[/b]

Jadyndar
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Jadyndar »

Physically gume, rolewise ewez, attracted primarily to zimi and ewimo-zimi.
TomHChappell wrote:
Putrid wrote:There is no ɔ but o̞.
And œ is its prophet?

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Space Dracula wrote:Assuming a gume is masculine, I'd be that physically--I'm stocky, reasonably strong for not working out, and very hairy--but an ewez mentally. I tend not to consider myself to be manly at all.
Ditto. However, generally I'm attracted to gumei, but I'm living with a tall, bald ewez
gremlins wrote:I'm an ewemi. However, I am a hot blooded male, so the whole "no kids" thing is a bit of a let-down.
You have to desire children to be a hot-blooded male? :?
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

ghur
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ghur »

I concluded I was an ewez a long time ago. Now if only our society made that distinction...

ginnyoftheusa
Niš
Niš

Post by ginnyoftheusa »

Ewemi, I guess.
I am alive, just sleeping.

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

I guess that I can give a quick reply here:

In terms of personality and behavior, I would almost certainly qualify as an ewez -- I'm not a "macho male" type at all. (Although I seem to have acquired some more gume-like traits in recent years, and my beard is definitely gumun.) Attracted primarily to zimi, as well as ewemo-zini (I'd like to think that my girlfriend combines the best features of both :wink: ).

p@,
Glenn

Kamikaze Gargoyle
Niš
Niš

Post by Kamikaze Gargoyle »

ewez attracted to (male) ewemi... :)

Krsont
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Krsont »

hm, probably ewez... and attracted to both zim and other ewemi.
Last edited by Krsont on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Probably Ewez. I'm short, thin, and not very muscular, sports hold no interest for me, and intellectual stuff is my thing. Hey, maybe Zompist could make a personality test based on this.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

I think that it goes without saying that the vast majority of us are ewemi; but I think I'm more ewez out of mindset than physical ideal. Not that I'm big or tough, just broad-shouldered and well-bearded. And obviously I like myself a zim.

Eddy's right, there should be a personality test to see where someone falls. Something like aan šešedar! :D

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

Too much in between to qualify as either one or the other, really. (Of the two options open to me, I mean; I'm certainly not a zim.) For one thing, having children one day means too much to me to give it up for anything; but I am rather bookish, and I have the long hair and no beard :P so I'm not 100% gume either.
Last edited by Nuntar on Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[quote="Amaya"]Every now and then, the world tries to say something. I'm never quite sure whether or not to listen to it at times like that.[/quote]

LinguistCat
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by LinguistCat »

Ewemi, and I look the part. People I've been introduced to have asked whether I was male or female. Of cource, most people I meet like Anime...
The stars are an ocean. Your breasts, are also an ocean.