Populations of major Erelaean countries?

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Populations of major Erelaean countries?

Post by BGMan »

I was just curious... I know that the population of Verduria is supposed to be about 6 million, but how about Dhekhnam and Xurno? Do the Dhekhnami have a small population but keep their Sarroc subjects in line Mongol-style? (This might even mean that Sarnaeans are the majority of Dhekhnam's population.) Or is their population quite large but 90%+ rural?

Gremlins
Sanci
Sanci
Location: The western spiral arm of Great Britain (we don't have toilets)

Post by Gremlins »

But... if 55 million people live on the Plains, and Verduria covers a large part of that area, how can there only be 6 million people in Verduria.

Personally, I've always thought that 55million was a little high...
[quote="dinnae"][quote="Sano"]I'm a Homo sapien, does that count?[/quote]

Only if you go Erectus in the presence of the same sex.[/quote]

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

I think Zomp himself has admitted that 55 million was an overestimate, though it may take a while to dig up the source......
[quote="Amaya"]Every now and then, the world tries to say something. I'm never quite sure whether or not to listen to it at times like that.[/quote]

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Nuntar wrote:I think Zomp himself has admitted that 55 million was an overestimate, though it may take a while to dig up the source......
Haven't you got the old board memorized? :)

http://www.zompist.com/board/messages/362.html

(Googling with site:spinnoff.com or site:zompist.com usually elicits the goods.)

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

My first-ever post! :) Note that Mark has already corrected the number of Verdurian-speakers to 27 million in the Almeopedia, although the old figure of 55 million still remains on Virtual Verduria (or did the last time I checked).

In terms of other states besides Verduria, there are some figures for city populations, but none for national populations that I know of (although I suppose that some guesses could be made).

p@,
Glenn

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

So the Plain has 27 million in all (Verduria having about 20% of the entire population), and the other parts of Eastern Erelae have about 125 million. That doesn't really help tell me how much are in the major countries (Xurno, Dhekhnam, Shura, Cheiy).

I'll have to guess:
Xurno: ~20-25 million
Shura: 5 million or so
Cheiy: 10 million or so
Dhekhnam: ~10 million in Sarnae, an unknowable number elsewhere... I'm guessing the number has to be substantial, otherwise the Verdurians and Erenati wouldn't be so worried about them, despite their technological advantage.

P.S. I saw that thing about Glenn being in Kazakhstan. Is it anything like Borat suggests? :D

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

BGMan wrote:P.S. I saw that thing about Glenn being in Kazakhstan. Is it anything like Borat suggests? :D
Not really :roll: ...but I suspect you knew that. :wink:

I have previously pondered the population figures for Xurno and Dhekhnam (and, to a lesser extent, the other parts of Erelae), and most of my guesstimates were similar to yours. I've generally assumed that the overall population of Dhekhnam was close to that of Xurno or Eretald, given its large territory and, as noted, the degree to which it is considered a threat.

p@,
Glenn