Kebreni

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Rory - NLI

Kebreni

Post by Rory - NLI »

How does Kebreni <th> differ from <s>?

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Kebreni

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Rory - NLI wrote:How does Kebreni <th> differ from <s>?
They're both the same as the English versions.

Ghost
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Kebreni

Post by Ghost »

So Haleza Grise wrote:
Rory - NLI wrote:How does Kebreni <th> differ from <s>?
They're both the same as the English versions.
That's not exceptionally helpful. Do you mean [th]ink or [th]at? I assume it's the first one though, considering its relationship with <s>.

Qhost :?
[url=http://www.emalaith.com/census.html]ZBB Census 2006[/url]

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Kebreni /t/ and /d/ are dental (rather than post-alveolar as in English); /th/ is simply the related (unvoiced) fricative. /s/ is pronounced with the tongue slightly farther back, and tensed to produce the sibilation.

Sander
Niš
Niš

Post by Sander »

[T] and [s_d] perhaps?
Sander/benanne
[b][url=http://benanne.net/misc/com.pdf]λemvrin eiδerial[/url][/b] (pdf)
[b][url=http://www.omniglot.com/writing/lembrin.htm]λemvrin eicrýs[/url][/b] (omniglot)

Legros
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Legros »

zompist wrote:/s/ is pronounced with the tongue slightly farther back, and tensed to produce the sibilation.
Does that sound exist in a natlang? /s/ with the tongue slightly farther back sounds like /S/ to me (as in SHop).

Xephyr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Xephyr »

No, you misunderstood. The /s/ is slightly farther back than the dental <th>, not the English /s/.
"It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be said, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is.' Rather, the Kingdom of the Father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it."
The Gospel of Thomas

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Cevlakohn is right; I was comparing Kebreni /th/ and /s/.

Hmm, French has dental /t/ too; what about /s/? Is it any different from English /s/?

Delthayre
Lebom
Lebom

Euskaldung

Post by Delthayre »

Whenever I try to pull my tongue back the sound goes apical on me.
Last edited by Delthayre on Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Great men are almost always bad men."
~Lord John Dalberg Acton

Legros
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Legros »

zompist wrote:Cevlakohn is right; I was comparing Kebreni /th/ and /s/.
I understand now :idea:
zompist wrote:Hmm, French has dental /t/ too; what about /s/? Is it any different from English /s/?
No. They sound identical to me.

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

zompist wrote:Cevlakohn is right; I was comparing Kebreni /th/ and /s/.

Hmm, French has dental /t/ too; what about /s/? Is it any different from English /s/?
Russian /t/ and /d/ are dental, and my first-year Russian textbook (by Ben Clark) described Russian /s/ and /z/ as being, in effect, dental as well, with the tip of the tongue even touching the back of the lower teeth. (This description was accompanied by diagrams showing the tongue position involved.)

OTOH, I am not sure that I have seen this confirmed elsewhere, and I myself most often use the English values of /s/ and /z/ when speaking Russian, and experienced no problems in doing so. (Some of the other Russian phonemes are another story. :wink: )

p@,
Glenn

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

Glenn Kempf wrote: and my first-year Russian textbook (by Ben Clark)
That was my textbook, and I loathed it. I wish I could have had one of Nina Potapova?s books, or some other Soviet textbook. Soviet language textbooks were always better than their Western counterparts because they took the good old-fashioned attitude of ?You?re here to learn a language and learn it properly, not to be amused!? :x Their dictionaries, on the other hand, were terrible, stuck in an archaic mode of not providing much help with meanings.

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Shm Jay wrote:
Glenn Kempf wrote: and my first-year Russian textbook (by Ben Clark)
That was my textbook, and I loathed it.
My classmates and I got quite a kick out of it, actually; I suppose that we were young and immature enough to be amused by it, and I actually learned the basics of Russian grammar quite well from Clark. Second year was Davis & Oprendek, which was mainly an expanded repetition of the grammar covered the year before--useful in the long run, but less interesting.
Shm Jay wrote: I wish I could have had one of Nina Potapova’s books, or some other Soviet textbook. Soviet language textbooks were always better than their Western counterparts because they took the good old-fashioned attitude of “You’re here to learn a language and learn it properly, not to be amused!” :x Their dictionaries, on the other hand, were terrible, stuck in an archaic mode of not providing much help with meanings.
I do see your point. I also agree about the Soviet dictionaries; my Soviet-era English-Kazakh dictionary is awful (my Kazakh-English dictionary, by Dunwoody Press, is much better--of course, both are quite rare specimens). Unfortunately, Western dictionaries often suffer from the same problem--I got very frustrated with the Langenscheit (sp?) Russian-English dictionary. These days, I use Katzner's and the Oxford dictionaries, as well as a few specialized works.

p@,
Glenn

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

zompist wrote:Kebreni /t/ and /d/ are dental (rather than post-alveolar as in English); /th/ is simply the related (unvoiced) fricative. /s/ is pronounced with the tongue slightly farther back, and tensed to produce the sibilation.
Right, thanks.
I don't want to sound annoying here, but why is it not specified in the Kebreni page? Or is it, and I just missed it?
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Rory wrote:
zompist wrote:Kebreni /t/ and /d/ are dental (rather than post-alveolar as in English); /th/ is simply the related (unvoiced) fricative. /s/ is pronounced with the tongue slightly farther back, and tensed to produce the sibilation.
Right, thanks.
I don't want to sound annoying here, but why is it not specified in the Kebreni page? Or is it, and I just missed it?
Well, the transcription partially speaks for itself (being the same system as for example used in Cadhinor), and also in the original script, the same characters are used as for Cadhinor /s/ and /T/. To be honest, it never occured to me that anyone would have the problem you encountered.

Rory - NLI

Post by Rory - NLI »

I've never looked at Cadhinor. I'm rather selective :oops:

However, it was basically the fact that both <s> and <th> are listed in the "dental fricative" (unvoiced) area of the phonology table. Threw me.