The inofficial official RPG-Thread

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Sebastian
Niš
Niš
Location: 01100011 01101111 01101100 01101111 01100111 01101110 01100101

The inofficial official RPG-Thread

Post by Sebastian »

Before we get going, a few rules:

1.: The type of RPG I meant is having something like "Sebastian goes to a flaidish house building company and asks if they could build him a house in Verduria City. He gets it after a few days and starts to relax in the garden." and not history-changing facts like "Sebastian burns down Verduria and crowns himself King."
2.: Jokes: Yes, Violence (Verbal or Descriptive Physical): No.
3.: If non-RPG-parts, please mark with "[/RPG]", then at the end of non-RPG please put "[RPG]".

Thank you very much :) .

Edit: Rule four: You can only say that you do something, not someone else.

[RPG]
Sbsin/Eata
Sneabiats
Sebastian
Ebastia
Basti
Ast
s

[size=84]Last edited by Sebastian Today 00:00; edited 99999999999 times in total[/size]

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

[/RPG]Have you asked Zomp for permission for this?

[/RPG]Also, Almea is by far the lowest-traffic of the forums... if you're serious about this, you might make a topic in Ephemera to ask if anyone's interested, as it might be a while before anyone notices a new topic here.

[RPG]
[quote="Amaya"]Every now and then, the world tries to say something. I'm never quite sure whether or not to listen to it at times like that.[/quote]

sintau.tayua
Niš
Niš

Post by sintau.tayua »

[/RPG] Me wants to join.
[img]http://altuses4googleearth.pbwiki.com/f/Cirrusy.png[/img]

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: The inofficial official RPG-Thread

Post by brandrinn »

Sebastian wrote:You can only say that you do something, not someone else.
Sir, I assure you, the very first thing I would do in Verduria is someone else. By Uesti standards, my member would be massive, and I'm pretty sure our anatomical differences make viral transmission impossible.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Sebastian
Niš
Niš
Location: 01100011 01101111 01101100 01101111 01100111 01101110 01100101

Post by Sebastian »

[/RPG] This gets to grammatical. I mean, that if you are called "Joe Bloggs" on the forum here, you can say something like "Joe Bloggs invents a new Verdurian meal: Gunufurutuzu", but not "zompist eats two Butterscotches".
Nuntar wrote:Have you asked Zomp for permission for this?
No, as I don't think that that is required to have some fun without really changing anything
Nuntar wrote:Also, Almea is by far the lowest-traffic of the forums... if you're serious about this, you might make a topic in Ephemera to ask if anyone's interested, as it might be a while before anyone notices a new topic here.
This is to have fun, possibly giving Zompist actual ideas for his conworlding will perhaps be a useful side effect.

[RPG]
Sbsin/Eata
Sneabiats
Sebastian
Ebastia
Basti
Ast
s

[size=84]Last edited by Sebastian Today 00:00; edited 99999999999 times in total[/size]

bi
Sanci
Sanci

Post by bi »

bi waits for something interesting to happen.
[img]http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/9899/t4nu8.gif[/img]

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

brandrinn wrote:
Sebastian wrote:You can only say that you do something, not someone else.
Sir, I assure you, the very first thing I would do in Verduria is someone else. By Uesti standards, my member would be massive, and I'm pretty sure our anatomical differences make viral transmission impossible.
Also, from the example of the Elenicoi we know that it is impossible for people from our planet to impregnate Uestu women. Consequence free fucking!
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Sal thinks this is offensive.

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Bubonic Plague; Ebola; Influenza; Measles; Tuberculosis; Oroyo Fever; Malaria; Smallpox;

Lyme Disease; Ebola; Influenza; Nipah; Hendra; Hanta; a dozen Rickettsials - typhus, rocky mountain spotted fever, oroyo fever, that new deadly bartonellosis they found a few weeks ago, trench fever and so on; tularemia; Lassa; Dengue; Listerosis; Toxoplasmosis; Salmonella; AIDS; etc etc etc. All very nasty, but despite having come from other species none have wiped out 99% of humanity.

Sure, a lethal disease COULD arise in humans after jumping from a highly different biology - but there's no real reason to think it would. Beside, even in humans had no immune systems, most diseases could not be that lethal for purely statistical reasons - generally most diseases are not easily contagious, and most are not dangerous. So a megademic would have be be both contagious and dangerous. But to kill everyone it would have to be VERY lethal - and most very lethal diseases are paradoxically fairly safe, because the carriers die too quickly to pass it on. You'd need a disease that was not only immensely lethal but that either killed very slowly or had a long dormant-but-contagious period - and both are rare. [Off the top of my head, I think only Black Death really fit that box IRL]. And a slow killer would be even more unlikely if human immune systems didn't oppose it...
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

brandrinn wrote: By Uesti standards, my member would be massive, and I'm pretty sure our anatomical differences make viral transmission impossible.
But being an alien from an industrial culture, you’d very likely smell bad to uesti women, so they wouldn’t want to go near you and would think you were just saying your member was massive out of desperation.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Shm Jay wrote:being an alien from an industrial culture, you’d very likely smell bad to uesti women, so they wouldn’t want to go near you and would think you were just saying your member was massive out of desperation.
Believe me, I'm way ahead of you.

We all know Uesti love water, right? And what lives in the water? fish! Rub yourself with a good helping of fish guts and you'll smell like Adonis himself.

As for the question of ambiguous penile girth, I will simply maintain that my pants did not make it through the portal from Earth.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Salmoneus wrote:So a megademic would have be be both contagious and dangerous.
Smallpox and other Old World diseases are believed to have consistently wiped out 90-95% of the New World native populations they came in contact with, which I suspect is the model Tom had in mind. Diseases jumping into a population with no prior exposure may be nonlethal in their original setting but spectacularly lethal in the new one.

Of course, to achieve that lethality, a whole suite of pests and diseases would have to jump between species, which is a far taller proposition than their making the jump between previously isolated populations of the same species.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

I think what Tom is trying to say, is if God sent the Greeks to Almea, he'd have given them their vaccine shots beforehand. Otherwise, paying close distinction to the possible diseases that could kill painfully kill them off would destroy any storyline.

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Raphael »

According to the Almeopedia (I think the uesti entry), Almean DNA doesn't work the same way as ours, so viruses, at least, couldn't jump between our worlds.
did you send enough shit to guarantee victory?

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

[/RPG]
TomHChappell wrote:It also jumped to humans, where it killed 25% to 75% of the population.
??? It's never been estimated to have killed more than half, and usually around a quarter to a third, of any regional population. At least not that I've seen.
If it had been world-wide instead of restricted to Asia, Africa, and Europe; and had wiped out 75% or more consistently instead of sometimes wiping out as little as 25%. . . then it might reasonably have been regarded as a speciation event; post-Plague humans might reasonably have been considered a different species from pre-Plague humans.
"Reasonably" how? Because they developed an immunity? That doesn't make sense to me. Are post-Columbian Native Americans a different species from pre-Columbians because they have more immunities?

Anyhoo. Sebastian, I like the idea of an RPG-style thingy (not a bad thing to drive more traffic to the Almea forum) but may I suggest that you'll have more interest if you have a better-formed idea of where you're setting it, what story is being told, what sorts of characters you'd like to see et cetera. Formless "X does this, Y does that" is okay for IRC channels but pretty dull as gaming, IMHO.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

ils wrote:
Salmoneus wrote:So a megademic would have be be both contagious and dangerous.
Smallpox and other Old World diseases are believed to have consistently wiped out 90-95% of the New World native populations they came in contact with, which I suspect is the model Tom had in mind. Diseases jumping into a population with no prior exposure may be nonlethal in their original setting but spectacularly lethal in the new one.

Of course, to achieve that lethality, a whole suite of pests and diseases would have to jump between species, which is a far taller proposition than their making the jump between previously isolated populations of the same species.
Ohh.... burpledom. I forgot about that. Still, I'll mention in my defence:
a) it wasn't just one disease it was lots. We thankfully didn't have smallpox AND measles appear at the same time in the old world, nor typhus with them. As you say, three megadiseases jumping the barrier at the same time is rather less likely..
b) the 95% figure is debateable anyway. the records can be massaged one way or the other
c) it's not necessarily the case that all of those disease deaths at about that time are due to Europeans. For instance, the obliteration of the Inca is traditionally ascribed to smallpox, but I'm told that some experts now believe the culprit was really Oroya Fever, native to the continent (it may have been the first epidemic of it).
d) destruction of existing political structures generally causes huge death tolls anyway, from starvation and assorted diseases, even without the 'new disease' element.

Tom, two questions:
a) Are you sure it started with African gerbils? I thought it was endemic to black rats, and didn't reach Africa?
b) I'm ignorant. Is there any evidence the Black Death was actually bubonic plague? Wherever I look, there's a small section "some people now think..."; that section then contains arguments that blow the plague theory out of the water, but the only pro-plague argument given is "this is not accepted by the majority of experts". Surely there must be SOME reason?

Off-hand, I've seen the following arguments against the European black death being the plague:

1.) the worst ever recorded death toll from the plague was 3% of a community. the Black Death reached over 75%

2.) the plague is carried by rats, and hence, even with motorised transport, travels slowly - almost alway around 10-15km per year. The BD travelled hundreds of miles a year, as though it were a virus.

3.) BD victims didn't usually have the key symptom of BP - the buboes, grossly swollen lymph glands. Instead, they had a different symptom - black sores all over the body, as though it were a haemorrhagic virus. (Black Pox can have similar, iirc, for example).

4.) Rat extermination programmes did not halt the BD.

5.) Segregation of infected personages and communities did halt the BD. Classically, the village of Eyam voluntarily closed itself to the outside world. The surrounding villages remained BD-free - but if it were rat-borne, then stopping human travel would not have had any effect, as the rats would ignore the blockades.

6.) there's no evidence, other than the BD, that the black rat was ever native to Europe (at least in large numbers)

7.) the BD spread to Iceland and northern Norway, where even today there are no rat populations other than in cities, and where at the time there were no cities. Specifically, in Iceland, which was very badly hit (as one would expect it to be, being a small closed community, IF it were a human-to-human virus), it is known that until recently there were absolutely no rats at all - so the plague would have had to have killed 100% of the rat population.

8.) The plague did not kill off even a significant proportion of the black rat population anywhere else in the world that had the plague - eg China and India still have both plague and black rats. If black rats were in Europe, then their supplantion by brown rats at the end of the plague would have to be coincidence.

9.) The BD spread to Iceland - a sea voyage of at least fourty days. A long time for a terribly sick rat to survive the plague, in very sub-optimal conditions (we're not talking great grain-galleons on the route from orkney to iceland). A longer time for no-one on the ship to develop symptoms that would stop the Icelanders from allowing them to land.

10.) BD survivors were far more likely to have specific gene mutation. This we know. We know that that mutation gives resistence to certain viruses - most famously HIV (10% of Europeans are HIV-resistent thanks to the BD). If it were the BP, it would be odd that Indians and Chinese did not get selected for the gene the same way Europeans did - if Europe had a different disease, though, it would be natural. If the BD were caused by Yersinia bacteria (the plague), there would be no reason why people with a mutation that helps resist viruses but not bacteria would do better at surviving than the general population. Additionally, we have observed selection for exactly the same gene mutation in several modern cases - specifically, where populations are ravaged by either HIV or a haemorrhagic virus (chiefly Ebola and Marburg). As it's unlikely it was Ebola in Eyam....

Anyway, the theory is that there were two diseases. One, in China and India, and still lingering, and which reached, quite slowly but aided by the Mongols, across Asia to the mediterranean coast - and this was plague. The other that occured chiefly in Europe, and that recurred several times before disappearing, probably being some kind of haemorrhagic virus, possibly related to Ebola - and this spread very rapidly from person to person.

Now, I know this isn't the majority view. But I can't find any defence of the majority view... anyone help?

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Ils: it did kill over 75% in some countries. Mostly countries that were helpfully heavily urbanised, like Venice. It may well be that it wasn't over half in any wider region, though.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Salmoneus wrote:Tom, two questions:
a) Are you sure it started with African gerbils? I thought it was endemic to black rats, and didn't reach Africa?
If it was indeed three bubonic pandemics, it's conventional to chalk up the first one to the outbreak at Constantinople that killed 40% of the city and wound up wiping out a quarter of the Eastern Med. That one is usually thought to have originated in Africa.
Is there any evidence the Black Death was actually bubonic plague?
Well, contemporary accounts did describe buboes on the plague victims, for one thing. Boccaccio's Decameron, for example, describes buboes appearing in the groin or armpit, which as I understand it would be consistent with bubonic plague. And reports of its being spread by human-to-human contact would be consistent with pulmonic plague. Fluctations in lethality aren't a very persuasive point either; it isn't AFAIK well-understood why some pandemics are more lethal than others (likely there are multiple reasons) but this doesn't compel speculation that any variation in lethality must indicate a different disease.

IOW many of the points supposedly "fatal" to the traditional hypothesis really aren't that fatal, which is probably why the alternative hypothesis hasn't roused much interest to this point. (Although I'd say there are enough suggestive differences to wonder if the later versions of the plague were not a less virulent strain of the same disease.)
Last edited by - on Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Salmoneus wrote:Ils: it did kill over 75% in some countries. Mostly countries that were helpfully heavily urbanised, like Venice. It may well be that it wasn't over half in any wider region, though.
Right, it kind of depends on how widely we're casting the net.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

TomHChappell
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by TomHChappell »

Last edited by TomHChappell on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Raphael
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Raphael »

TomHChappell wrote:
Raphael wrote:According to the Almeopedia (I think the uesti entry), Almean DNA doesn't work the same way as ours, so viruses, at least, couldn't jump between our species.
(you'd said "worlds"; I'm sure you meant "species"?)
No, I did mean "worlds". As far as I know, we share the basic principles of our DNA with all other species on Earth; presumably, uesti do the same on Almea. But these basic principles are different on Earth and Almea.
While your premise is true, your conclusion does not follow from it. The important question from the viruses' point of view is whether the ribosomes work more-or-less similarly.
What makes you so sure that Almean species have ribosomes at all, rather than something completely different that fulfills an equivalent function?
Even if there is a different genetic code, there's a possibility that having an Almean virus infect an Earthly patient -- or vice-versa -- could result in a mutant virus, which could be even more virulent. (A possibility, not a likelihood).
In order to mutate, it probably first has to replicate. How is it supposed to do that if its instructions for "replicate this string as often as possible" either tell the Almean host cell nothing at all, or something completely unrelated to replication?

How likely is it that a large non-DNA molecule, injected into a human or Earth animal cell, mutates into a virus? If Almean DNA works basically different from that on Earth, viruses jumping between worlds would be more or less the equivalent of that.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

Raphael wrote:How likely is it that a large non-DNA molecule, injected into a human or Earth animal cell, mutates into a virus? If Almean DNA works basically different from that on Earth, viruses jumping between worlds would be more or less the equivalent of that.
It depends how different.

Our DNA has a deoxyribose backbone and four bases: adenine, thymine, cytosine and guanine. If alien DNA (i.e. with a deoxyribose backbone but different bases) infected an earth cell, it might be copied by the cell's DNA polymerases, which might subsititute i.e. thymine for uracil or methylcytosine.

On the other hand, if the alien nucleic acid were RNA it might either a) be copied into DNA by reverse transcription or b) translated into protein.

Something very different, like a protein nucleic acid or even a xylonucleic acid, would have less chance of infecting DNA organisms.