Flaidish 7 and "flaid"

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Ahribar wrote:
Mark's Flaidish page wrote:(ai) is always /?/ and (au) is always /o/.
Flaid /fl?d/ rhymes with 'plaid', not 'played'.
Well, in that case, it's Mark's fault for choosing such a silly example word. I'd never heard it used once in my life.
As one who, like Mark, survived the 70s (the period when the flaids were created), I can confirm that there was an awful lot of plaid around :) --at least, that's the way I remember it; I was pretty young at the time. There's still a lot of it--flannel shirts, scarfs, bathrobes, pygamas, etc.--but you really don't see plaid pants any more.

I, too, pronounced "flaid" as /flejd/ for a long time (and "Flaidish" as /flejdiS/--that one's harder to shake), but once Mark explained the real pronunciation, I was able to switch without too much trouble.

p@,
Glenn

Dudicon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Dudicon »

Glenn Kempf wrote:
Ahribar wrote:
Mark's Flaidish page wrote:(ai) is always /?/ and (au) is always /o/.
Flaid /fl?d/ rhymes with 'plaid', not 'played'.
Well, in that case, it's Mark's fault for choosing such a silly example word. I'd never heard it used once in my life.
As one who, like Mark, survived the 70s (the period when the flaids were created), I can confirm that there was an awful lot of plaid around :) --at least, that's the way I remember it; I was pretty young at the time. There's still a lot of it--flannel shirts, scarfs, bathrobes, pygamas, etc.--but you really don't see plaid pants any more.

I, too, pronounced "flaid" as /flejd/ for a long time (and "Flaidish" as /flejdiS/--that one's harder to shake), but once Mark explained the real pronunciation, I was able to switch without too much trouble.

p@,
Glenn
I pronounced them as /fled/ and /fledIS/ as well, until Mark set us straight. The curious thing is that, though I pronounce them correctly now, I still subvocalize them with /fled/.