Questions about Xurnash

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Shm Churmey
Sanci
Sanci

Questions about Xurnash

Post by Shm Churmey »

Something which had been bugging me for a while : I had always supposed that x represented a voiceless velar fricative in Axunashin and Xurnash. But in the sample of the "Sounds of Almea" page, it seems to be pronouced [z]. So how is it pronouced ? And why did it change to "h" in Verdurian loanwords from Axunashin ?

I was also wondering if we could get the morpheme breakdown for the three precious Xurnash sentences we have ? That is :

Cu xoshimirc rao eteshi.
I'm going to whip that upstart.

Ir nevu jadzies mnoshudacij. Toc shizen ri tos bunjachi shasik rili. Tos denjic shush bunji dis kezi. Syu shacho cu shush izraugi.
My niece is dating a sculptor. She can see no flaws in him. He hopes one day to govern a province. Myself, I don't envy that province

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Questions about Xurnash

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Shm Churmey wrote:Something which had been bugging me for a while : I had always supposed that x represented a voiceless velar fricative in Axunashin and Xurnash. But in the sample of the "Sounds of Almea" page, it seems to be pronouced [z]. So how is it pronouced ? And why did it change to "h" in Verdurian loanwords from Axunashin ?

I was also wondering if we could get the morpheme breakdown for the three precious Xurnash sentences we have ? That is :

Cu xoshimirc rao eteshi.
I'm going to whip that upstart.

Ir nevu jadzies mnoshudacij. Toc shizen ri tos bunjachi shasik rili. Tos denjic shush bunji dis kezi. Syu shacho cu shush izraugi.
My niece is dating a sculptor. She can see no flaws in him. He hopes one day to govern a province. Myself, I don't envy that province
Info on Xurnese phonology can be found here. And note that the LCK sentence is out of date: the modern version, and a gloss, can be found here. Oh, and there's a follow-up post here.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Questions about Xurnash

Post by zompist »

Shm Churmey wrote:Something which had been bugging me for a while : I had always supposed that x represented a voiceless velar fricative in Axunashin and Xurnash. But in the sample of the "Sounds of Almea" page, it seems to be pronouced [z]. So how is it pronouced ? And why did it change to "h" in Verdurian loanwords from Axunashin ?
Axunashin x is a reflex of proto-Eastern *kt or *ks, and it's almost certainly [ks], though a minority holds that it was [x] (largely to make the phonology more symmetrical). In Xurn?sh, initial x is [z], but elsewhere it remains [ks]. Te?shi has [z] initially, [k] elsewhere.

Cadhinor Akhunai seems to be borrowed from a northern dialect; Bolongri is still noted for pronouncing x as [x]. The breaking Akhuenai is characteristic of the southern Plain (cf. V. luom, also a southernism); with the normal kh :> h we get V. Ahuenai. (Only scholars are aware that the Xurnese went and changed the name of the country.)

Shm Churmey
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Shm Churmey »

Thanks a lot ! Btw, I think I 've noticed a few Spanish influences. Am I right ?