Calto's Symbol

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Calto's Symbol

Post by Neek »

For my next tattoo, I had the keen idea of getting Calto (in Verdurian) on my wrist, but there sits the problem that just Calto might not be enough, and was thus wondering about his symbol. And in fact, what symbols, if any, represent the adhi?

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

mmm, a almea themed tattoo, now thats an intresting idea :roll:
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Calto's Symbol

Post by zompist »

Nikolai wrote:For my next tattoo, I had the keen idea of getting Calto (in Verdurian) on my wrist, but there sits the problem that just Calto might not be enough, and was thus wondering about his symbol. And in fact, what symbols, if any, represent the adhi?
How about the Cadhinorian pagan sunburst, as seen here?

http://www.zompist.com/illo/rock.jpg

Note that it's rotated a bit in the picture... the bars are vertical and horizontal.

I don't have other symbols for particular gods, but I can work one up if you like. It's not every day that something I draw will be encised in someone's flesh.

Nuntar
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Nuntar »

You say your "next" tattoo... how many do you already have, and what are they?

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Ahribar wrote:You say your "next" tattoo... how many do you already have, and what are they?
Currently I just have one, and I plan on complementing it with another: on my left bicep is Ahriman written in Avestan characters, Ahriman being the Persian god of darkness and all evil (on my right bicep I'll be getting Ohrmazd, the god of light and everything good and cool.

If it isn't obvious, I like to go for obscure religions for tattoos, and having a personal preference for Cadhinorian paganism.
Zompist wrote:How about the Cadhinorian pagan sunburst, as seen here?
I hadn't considered the sunbust as a tattoo, since I had the plan to pair Calto with Fidra on the other wrist...

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

I'd just like to say that I consider that religious sign to be simply immensely brilliant. So simple, yet so powerful.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

VeganGrinder
Niš
Niš

Post by VeganGrinder »

I second that, simple strong and more than sufficient. The most brilliant things are the simple ones.

Shm Jay
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Shm Jay »

All I say is I hope that at 40 or 50 or 60 you don't look at your biceps and think, "God, what was I thinking of?" I can never understand why people get tattoos.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Shm Jay wrote:All I say is I hope that at 40 or 50 or 60 you don't look at your biceps and think, "God, what was I thinking of?" I can never understand why people get tattoos.
Some informative excerpts from Gilbert's Tattoo History are online, and should help to answer that question. The short answer: lots of reasons!
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Shm Jay wrote:All I say is I hope that at 40 or 50 or 60 you don't look at your biceps and think, "God, what was I thinking of?" I can never understand why people get tattoos.
Probably not. The amount of people who regret the way the tattoo looks never really kept up with it, such as getting touch ups and redone. They don't necessarily stand around forever, they do indeed fade, especially color tattoos. The choice I make, of course, is to get one despite the consequences. And as long as I keep my head about it, wisely choose tattooes I want and can appreciate, I've no real problems.
Salmoneus, seconded by Grey wrote:I'd just like to say that I consider that religious sign to be simply immensely brilliant. So simple, yet so powerful.
I do hope you mean the sunbust :teardrop: I had considered it after its suggestion, however if I were to get two tattooes, each on one wrist, I thought getting each sign would be more appropriate. However, I could get the sunburst on each wrist with the Verdurian names of the gods written beneath each.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Nikolai wrote: However, I could get the sunburst on each wrist with the Verdurian names of the gods written beneath each.
Or Cadhinorian.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

[While the silliest religious sign is the zoroastrian man-in-a-spaceship.... you're not getting that one, are you?]

To be honest, I despise the way coloured tattoos look. And, indeed, almost all representative tattoos. They just look so ugly - and when they start to fade, and wrinkle, they look even uglier.
I must confess, however, that I think some of those small abstract just-black tattoos look quite nice. Sort of tribal, but nice.

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Oh, no, no. I've got just the name of Ahriman on my arm, and the other arm'll have just Ohrmazd's name. There'll be no man in a spaceship, I can guarantee.

Ghost
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ghost »

When I'm old enough I'm seriously considering getting 'Qhost', with the Jerk City Avatar, tattoed on my left wrist.

There's a guy I know from Karate, who has more tattoos than skin! Both his arms, legs, and his entire torso is one elaborate tattoo. I hate being paired with him. he terrifies me. :cry:

Ghost :roll:
[url=http://www.emalaith.com/census.html]ZBB Census 2006[/url]

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

So Haleza Grise wrote:Or Cadhinorian.
I've been debating that: of course, it's not like I'm going to get this tattoo next week or anything, it's still in the motions of getting worked out. I may perhaps get the tattoo on my right-shoulder, just black sunburst.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

OK, I actually like the Ahriman one. That's becuase its black and in Avestan. Its difficult for something to be in Avestan and not look nice.

Black sunburst? Good from an appearance point of view (though I prefer fewer straight lines in tattos, particularly on shoulders), but otherwise quite... wierd. Black sunburst. Hmm. Is that the Cadhinorian version of an inverted cross?

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Alright, I finalized my decision:
1). Aside from the Ohrmazd tattoo that I'll be getting on my right wrist, I'll be getting 2). a Green Cadhinorian sunburst on my right wrist, with the symbol (if applicable) and name in Verdurian of Calto on left wrist. Other tattoo ideas may come up later.

Rory
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Rory »

Afair, Ahriman isn't really a god. Zoroastrianism was essentially monotheistic. Ahriman is more like the NT satan, I think.

Looks cool. I've often thought about getting a tatoo, but it stays with you forever so I'm not so sure. And also I wouldn't be able to give blood for a year after it.
The man of science is perceiving and endowed with vision whereas he who is ignorant and neglectful of this development is blind. The investigating mind is attentive, alive; the mind callous and indifferent is deaf and dead. - 'Abdu'l-Bahá

Aidan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aidan »

Nikolai wrote:Currently I just have one, and I plan on complementing it with another: on my left bicep is Ahriman written in Avestan characters, Ahriman being the Persian god of darkness and all evil (on my right bicep I'll be getting Ohrmazd, the god of light and everything good and cool.
I hadn't considered the sunbust as a tattoo, since I had the plan to pair Calto with Fidra on the other wrist...
Nikolai wrote:with the symbol (if applicable) and name in Verdurian of Calto on left wrist..
Your really into this Sinister-thing, aren't you? Aren't you worried about becoming imblanaced?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Not that you have to do it this way, but I thought it'd be fun to get a preview. This is the full word Caloton:

As an alternative, Kalotech in Barakhinei:

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

zompist wrote:Not that you have to do it this way, but I thought it'd be fun to get a preview.
Wow. Those are cool. What's the writing surface there - is it butcher's paper?

(I assume it's not human skin . . .)

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

So Haleza Grise wrote:
zompist wrote:Not that you have to do it this way, but I thought it'd be fun to get a preview.
Wow. Those are cool. What's the writing surface there - is it butcher's paper?

(I assume it's not human skin . . .)
True enough, though from another point of view it is: it's simulated human skin.

pharazon
Lebom
Lebom

Post by pharazon »

So Haleza Grise wrote:(I assume it's not human skin . . .)
"Metaverse for March - The Almean Necronomicon"

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

zompist wrote:True enough, though from another point of view it is: it's simulated human skin.
I'm confused now...what is that site?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Whimemsz wrote:
zompist wrote:True enough, though from another point of view it is: it's simulated human skin.
I'm confused now...what is that site?
It's a portfolio for a computer modeller. All those images are computer-generated.