Almean HL2 Exploratorium

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Almean HL2 Exploratorium

Post by zompist »

I've been making a HL2 map simply to create an Almean architectural vista... it should be a picture of part of Srethun, capital of Uytai. I could just draw it, of course, but cityscapes are tedious to draw and don't have the photorealistic effect I can get using Hammer (the HL2 map editor).

(I considered using Second Life instead, but land is prohibitively expensive in SL... I can make HL2 maps for free.)

However, it seems a pity to just take a couple shots... actually walking around in the map is more interesting than just looking at a picture. So the question is: would anyone else be interested in playing with the map when it's done?

I'm afraid you'll need a copy of HL2 to run it, but jeez, buy the Orange Box already— it's got five of the greatest games ever on it.

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Almean HL2 Exploratorium

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

zompist wrote:I've been making a HL2 map simply to create an Almean architectural vista... it should be a picture of part of Srethun, capital of Uytai. I could just draw it, of course, but cityscapes are tedious to draw and don't have the photorealistic effect I can get using Hammer (the HL2 map editor).

(I considered using Second Life instead, but land is prohibitively expensive in SL... I can make HL2 maps for free.)

However, it seems a pity to just take a couple shots... actually walking around in the map is more interesting than just looking at a picture. So the question is: would anyone else be interested in playing with the map when it's done?

I'm afraid you'll need a copy of HL2 to run it, but jeez, buy the Orange Box already— it's got five of the greatest games ever on it.
How much would it be to buy the Orange Box, approx?
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

The Orange Box is $30 right now; HL2 Episode 2 alone is $15.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Here's a preview:

Not done yet, but you can probably see why I am modelling rather than drawing it. :)

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Looks great - maybe you could put some screenshots somewhere for those who aren't able to or interested in installing HL2 on their machines?

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

zompist wrote:Here's a preview:

Super picture

Not done yet, but you can probably see why I am modelling rather than drawing it. :)
Thats... Whoa. "Great" is not great enough.

And yes, I can understand. It would be fun to have Verduria city as well like that.
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

hwhatting wrote:Looks great - maybe you could put some screenshots somewhere for those who aren't able to or interested in installing HL2 on their machines?
Of course-- the overall goal is still to make some really nice pictures.

The question is really how much extra effort I put in. For pictures, it only needs to look nice from a few angles... buildings may exist only as facades. If you can walk around in it, though, it needs to be more complete.

-
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by - »

Gorgeous pic.

I'd be fine with pictures, personally, I'm not likely to put HL2 on my machine.
Oh THAT'S why I was on hiatus. Right. Hiatus Mode re-engaged.

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

I'd be fine with pictures as well.

the duke of nuke
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by the duke of nuke »

Pictures would be lovely.
XinuX wrote:I learned this language, but then I sneezed and now am in prison for high treason. 0/10 would not speak again.

Xonen
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Almean HL2 Exploratorium

Post by Xonen »

zompist wrote:However, it seems a pity to just take a couple shots... actually walking around in the map is more interesting than just looking at a picture. So the question is: would anyone else be interested in playing with the map when it's done?
I'd be interested. Whether or not I ever actually manage to get any of my computers to a shape where it can run HL2 might be a different matter, of course… But in case I do, this would certainly be a bonus. :)
[quote="Funkypudding"]Read Tuomas' sig.[/quote]

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

Zomp, that is a hella awesome idea and I would be interested in playing with the map when it's done.
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

Just curious as to how this project's coming along (I still am interested in playing the map if/when it's done :))
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Sigh... the map was lost when my hard disk fried.

I will re-create it at some point. Though actually some other scenes will come first, as I want to use them for covers...

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

photos are fine by me.
MadBrain is a genius.