Some pE errors

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Some pE errors

Post by dhok »

In How to Argue with Zompist, Zompist wrote: Someone (unfortunately I forget who) mentioned that the best thing an academic can have is a good enemy. Your friends will, perhaps, read through your papers and make a few comments. But only an enemy will read through an entire book, for free, finding every error and questionable statement.
Well, here I am! :)
I'd printed out the pE grammar to browse off-line, and I found an error that was pretty damn obvious. Can't remember what. So I decided to look for more errors.
Here's what I found (and I didn't check the paradigms; if they're wrong I'll inform you later.)
1. Hmm, maybe you should make the phonological constraints more specific...I doubt the Easterners allowed [kx].
2. The Cad'inor sound change m>n _#...man, I feel bad about calling you out on this, since you'd have to change accusatives in 4 languages. But here I thought it was a good thing to point out.
3. Axunašin sound change p,f,r,l>0 _#. I think you mean, from the examples, _# or _C. Also, the sound change f>v V_V doesn't seem to be there.
4. Comparative declension of masculine *ktats...you use ch in Axunašin, where you mean č. Same problem in the same declension class, with *aytsas.
5. Similar Cad'inor typo in the pronouns...you use <th>, where you mean <t'>.
6. And, oh god, an Obenzayet problem...the comperative conjugation of the Past Definite should say bakšia, bakšiaz, etc., for the descendent of *bektir..but for all but the 3p, it borrows from the klāger descendant.
7. Imperfect error: It says, "attested in the Central and Naviu families." You mean, "attested in the Karazi and Naviu families."
And that's all I can find! Can you fix this at some point, so I can print out the corrected version?
Last edited by dhok on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

More errors!

I'm not so sure whether I should call you out on Obenzayet errors, but:
In Obenzayet, the 3p endings are of the form V:ʔu. But, according to the sound changes, they should be V:du. In addition, the paradigms show the stem aril- from *alir-, but there's no sound change to account for the lateral-rhotic metathesis.

Whimemsz
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Whimemsz »

I can't speak for anything else, but metathesis like that is rarely regular. In fact, sporadic metathesis is one of the most common kinds of irregular sound change, and is particularly common with liquids like l and r (c.f. Spanish palabra from parabola). So it's not at all unreasonable for Obenzayet to sporadically metathesize l and r--and since it's not a regular change, there's no reason to note it in the sound change list.

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

Free proofreading is nice and all, but it's pretty presumptuous to ask someone to fix their work "ASAP" for your benefit.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

"At some point" isn't ASAP.

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

dhokarena56 wrote:Last edited by dhokarena56 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
The original version said "ASAP", he edited it after I posted.