Mo' random questions

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Mo' random questions

Post by dhok »

In Fladish, how are double vowels handled? For example, let's take the city of Ledley: is it /lEdli@/, which I think it is, or /lEdlE@/?
Have you ever considered doing a vowel harmony or consonant mutation language? For that matter, what about an active/stative language?
For Xurnese, it seems like their logographic/syllabary doesn't really fit at all. In a country with newspapers, as seen from the example in the Xurnese grammar, with a high emphasis on scholarship, it seems like the requirements for a printing press would force them to switch to an alphabet. But they haven't.
And finally...what's your position on fanfiction? I know Eddy wrote some stuff that you had to crack down on in the past, so I'm being cautious...

Arzena
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Arzena »

consonant mutation language
He's done Fáralo, that has consonant mutations.
A New Yorker wrote:Isn't it sort of a relief to talk about the English Premier League instead of the sad state of publishing?
Abi wrote:At this point it seems pretty apparent that PIE was simply an ancient esperanto gone awry.
Shtåså, Empotle7á, Neire Wippwo

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Mo' random questions

Post by Yiuel Raumbesrairc »

For Xurnese, it seems like their logographic/syllabary doesn't really fit at all. In a country with newspapers, as seen from the example in the Xurnese grammar, with a high emphasis on scholarship, it seems like the requirements for a printing press would force them to switch to an alphabet. But they haven't.
I have got one word for you.

China.

If it isn't enough, I have got a second, more personally relevant one.

Japan.

Printing, even in the modern sense, was invented in China (before Gutenberg). They didn't use free blocks much because most of the texts used original or otherwise rarely used characters, but they already printed on pages properly. But printing certainly isn't limited to alphabets or cousins of it.

Scholarship has been encouraged in China since at least 1500 years. In Japan, it took some time, but still, since at least 300 years, it was also encouraged. There use of a logographic system (even Japan's baroque system involving devices I think any conlanger would find utterly ridiculous) did not impede much.

So yeah. China and Japan. (And Korea, by the way.)
"Ez amnar o amnar e cauč."
- Daneydzaus

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

dhokarena56 wrote:And finally...what's your position on fanfiction? I know Eddy wrote some stuff that you had to crack down on in the past, so I'm being cautious...
Having been in the process of writing two stories set in Almea, I can assure you he doesn't mind stories being set in Almea--the issue arises when you challenge his work, blatantly mess up history, or otherwise practice general fuckery.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

dhokarena56 wrote:In Fladish, how are double vowels handled? For example, let's take the city of Ledley: is it /lEdli@/, which I think it is, or /lEdlE@/?
/lɛd li ə/

For particular language types, I don't really plan out features in advance, just use whatever seems right for the language I'm working on.
And finally...what's your position on fanfiction? I know Eddy wrote some stuff that you had to crack down on in the past, so I'm being cautious...
I'm certainly more accepting if someone seems to understand Almea well. As a general thing, I wouldn't mind people telling stories, but if you get into conworlding (e.g. inventing countries or languages or major social customs), it'd be better just to invent your own world.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Couple more things...
What's a zompist? Can I subscribe to the philosophy of Zompism?
Would it be likely for two neighboring ktuvok empires to attack each other? I'm thinking of Godulia and Kowon in Curym.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Daquarious P. McFizzle wrote:Couple more things...
What's a zompist? Can I subscribe to the philosophy of Zompism?
Would it be likely for two neighboring ktuvok empires to attack each other? I'm thinking of Godulia and Kowon in Curym.
Based on what I understand of Ktuvok empires, they fight themselves, which is basically the same thing; they are only really a unified polity for the purposes of contrasting them with neighboring states. I don't see how two separate empires could actually exist in proximity to each other, since it wouldn't be clear that they were independent states at all (an empire is really just a loose amalgamation of rival estates). Or am I reading this wrongly?
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

That's about right. Godulia and Kowon are just far enough apart to exist as separate empires (though history is long; they might have fought each other at some time).

Solarius
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Solarius »

I have a question: In the Uyse?ic article, it says that Uyse? has no fricatives, but the Uyse? page it says that it has the fricatives f s h ħ. Which is it?

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Solarius wrote:I have a question: In the Uyse?ic article, it says that Uyse? has no fricatives, but the Uyse? page it says that it has the fricatives f s h ħ. Which is it?
"Voiced [stops or fricatives]", not "voiced stops [or fricatives]".
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

Solarius
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Solarius »

:oops:

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

It would also be weird if the language had no unvoiced fricatives, since the language's name is Uyse? :)
- Daneydzaus

ghur
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ghur »

Yiuel wrote:It would also be weird if the language had no unvoiced fricatives, since the language's name is Uyse? :)
Maybe the S would be pronounced weirdly?

Yiuel Raumbesrairc
Avisaru
Avisaru

ghur wrote:
Yiuel wrote:It would also be weird if the language had no unvoiced fricatives, since the language's name is Uyse? :)
Except for Xurnese's initial "x", I don't remember any of zompist's usages to be that weird.
- Daneydzaus

ghur
Sanci
Sanci

Post by ghur »

Yiuel wrote:
ghur wrote:
Except for Xurnese's initial "x", I don't remember any of zompist's usages to be that weird.
Well, no, but this is a hypothetical universe where Uyse has no fricatives. Maybe in this hypothetical universe, zompist uses very strange spellings.

And English uses word initial x in a pretty similar--if not more bizarre--way to Xurnese. (I assume this is sort of where Zompist's usage in Xurnese came from...) I mean, admittedly, English is written with the latin alphabet natively and has had centuries to embizarren the orthography.

Solarius
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Solarius »

Why hasn't Erenat developed its own language? Ismahi is closer to Verduria, but it doesn't speak Verdurian.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Ismaîn proper is the language of the Efrat valley, which is isolated from the sea and has developed in its own way. The speech of the littoral itself is closer to Verdurian, though of course it's influenced by its long domination by the Efrat valley. Érenat is in the littoral zone, thus has remained close to Verdurian.