Verdurian Armed Forces

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
ConlangArtist

Verdurian Armed Forces

Post by ConlangArtist »

Maybe it has been talked about previously, but personally I am unaware of it. I was wondering if Verduria or any other nation(country) on Almea has an army. If so, what weapons do they have swords, catapults, armor?

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

I'm going to go ahead and give an answer to this one from Zomp's Historical Atlas from Virtual Verduria (year 3480 Z.E., i.e., the "present").
The Historical Atlas wrote:Land warfare is still based on the sword and the horse; battle at sea, on the sail-driven wooden man of war (the [new metal-]plated vessels are still rare and have not been tested in battle). Gunpowder is known, but firing technology remains crude and dangerous. Cannon are now routinely used in seige warfare, but the few guns that exist are bulky, awkward to load, and almost as dangerous to the shooter as to the target.
So they have swords, and probably spears (pikes? lances?) and bows, catapults (at least in the past), and cannon and explosives (in the present). I'm not sure about armor; I'm sure that it has played a role, but it may have been more important in pre-cannon days.

Verduria most certainly has an army, as well as "the best Navy in the world"; their ominous neighbor, Dhekhnam, has a BIG army. :mrgreen:

I would assume that most if not all of the "organized" nations in eastern Erelae (the part of Almea we know about) have armed forces of some kind--Xurno, Cheiy, and Skouras, as major powers are probably fairly well-armed, and we know that Kebri has warships. Gurdago, of course, captured and lost three empires, although its forces aren't what they used to be...

The less organized peoples (like the nomads of the Barbarian and Lenani Steppes, the Westerners of the Rau Jungle, and the Qaraus tribes) presumably still have some kind of military capacity. (With the nomads, virtually ever man seems to have been a warrior: the Horselords were famous raiders, as well as conquering the whole darn continent once, and the Tzhuro of the Lenani helped defeat the Munkhash and took over Skouras. The Qaraus, by contrast, seem to be notably peaceful, but I strongly suspect they can still defend themselves--the same goes for the flaids on Flora.)

One interesting case is Belshai, which is a confederation of cantons, populated by people from different ethnic groups. It seems that each canton has its own army or militia, which unite to defend the confederation in the event of outside threat.

p@,
Glenn
Last edited by Glenn on Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

(I thought I'd give Mark a break, though I probably should let him to discuss Almea. I'm just going on published material).

the thing you have to remember is that Eretald corresponds roughly to early 18th century Europe. Gunpowder does exist, but cannons (pusheki) are somewhat unreliable.

The real power states of Erelae at the moment rely on sea power, just like Great Britain, which formed a massive Empire while always having a tiny standing army. Kebri, Verduria, Xurno, and Skouras all have navies and the first two have colonies on other continents.

You can find a lot about this in the Kingdom of Verduria, and if you want to know whether or not the Verdurians have knoweldge of a particular weapon or technology, check the dictionary to see if they have a word for it.

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Wow--two answers already; it seems we replied in unison! Not bad.

Incidentally, if you need any short cuts, the Kingdom of Verduria section in Virtual Verduria is here, and the Historical Atlas entry I was quoting is here.

I hadn't been aware of the Verdurian pusheki for "cannons." The Russians clearly stole their word (pushki) from Almea... :wink:

p@,
Glenn

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Glenn Kempf wrote:I hadn't been aware of the Verdurian pusheki for "cannons." The Russians clearly stole their word (pushki) from Almea... :wink:
It's pusheci, and this might actually be coincidence... it means 'puffers', and I think pushan is onomatopeia.

Good answers, both of you. I'd just add that the Thematic Dictionary has sections on war (including military ranks) and weapons. Also that the next Count of Years update will be mostly on war. :)

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

Yay! War!

...okay, to make ym post meaningful, have any almean nations developed cannons formuse on ships or submarines?

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

On ships, I would say definitely. On submarines, unlikely (although you never know...)

p@,
Glenn

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

Another question: does/can any Almean coutnry utilize magic for military use?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Cannons on ships-- I'd say yes, though the unreliability of Verdurian cannons could be quite dangerous. A big reason for this is that Verduria hasn't had a major war for two centuries, so it really hasn't had the motivation to improve its gunpowder or firing technology.

As for magic-- many have tried, but Almean magic is even more unreliable than its cannons. It can be seen as favors done by Powers for their pet humans, and the last thing a superior being wants is to be relied on for mundane practical things. Powers might consent to knock off a magician's enemy for him or her, but they won't be used as a technological edge for the king's army.

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

ah, I see.

What aobut submarines? :D

Aidan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Aidan »

Jaaaaaa wrote:ah, I see.

What aobut submarines? :D
Just an interesting interjection. There were a few submarines in operation in the American Civil War. Over all they killed more crew than enemies.

On the whole, "18th Century Europe" and "no major wars for two centuries", I'd lay a bet significantly against submarines. Some kind of bathyscapes, possibly considering the sea-orientation, still rather unlikely. Submarines, highly unlikely.

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

I;ve heard that too. Interesting be life...

yeah, what I though. Ah well...

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Yeah, no submarines. There's been experimentation with ironclads, though.

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

Is there a privateer business like there was in Europe some centuries ago? Or do nations just keep their own navy and leave it at that?

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Jaaaaaa wrote:Is there a privateer business like there was in Europe some centuries ago? Or do nations just keep their own navy and leave it at that?
Thanks for reminding me about that. I almost forgot about my dear pirates.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.