Good news, everyone

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Good news, everyone

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Looks like Lé has a grammar now.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

This kind of isn't news...

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Hopefully it'll be up on Zompist.com pretty soon: I'm looking forward to how zompist handles an isolating language.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Daquarious P. McFizzle wrote:This kind of isn't news...
Is there a thread that talks about it somewhere else?

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Dewrad wrote:Hopefully it'll be up on Zompist.com pretty soon: I'm looking forward to how zompist handles an isolating language.
I think we'll probably see Uyse7 before that.

Dewrad
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Dewrad »

Daquarious P. McFizzle wrote:
Dewrad wrote:Hopefully it'll be up on Zompist.com pretty soon: I'm looking forward to how zompist handles an isolating language.
I think we'll probably see Uyse7 before that.
I doubt it.
Some useful Dravian links: Grammar - Lexicon - Ask a Dravian
Salmoneus wrote:(NB Dewrad is behaving like an adult - a petty, sarcastic and uncharitable adult, admittedly, but none the less note the infinitely higher quality of flame)

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

But we wouldn't have the sayings of Nyekhen without an Uyse? grammar.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Mornche Geddick wrote:But we wouldn't have the sayings of Nyekhen without an Uyse? grammar.
Only enough grammar to create those specific utterances I'd say. "Behind the curtain" I think Zompist has created these sentences with general notions of how Uyse7 syntax works, and will extract more specific rules from them "in reverse" when developing the grammar. He works like that a lot - in the case of Tzhuro as well, for example.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

So Haleza Grise wrote:
Mornche Geddick wrote:But we wouldn't have the sayings of Nyekhen without an Uyse? grammar.
Only enough grammar to create those specific utterances I'd say. "Behind the curtain" I think Zompist has created these sentences with general notions of how Uyse7 syntax works, and will extract more specific rules from them "in reverse" when developing the grammar. He works like that a lot - in the case of Tzhuro as well, for example.
If you read some of the old board posts from the e-mail days, people thought he'd worked a lot on Xurno when they asked questions. He didn't: it's simply that if you show people specific examples, they'll think you have the general picture.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Actually there are now nearly complete grammars of both Lé and Uyseʔ. The latter needs some more work, mostly vocabulary creation. I may also create one more Lé sample text, as none of the ones I have are from native Lé speakers!

The other missing bit is the writing system... I hate to release them without something on this.

So, yes, they're close, but not done.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

zompist wrote:Actually there are now nearly complete grammars of both Lé and Uyseʔ. The latter needs some more work, mostly vocabulary creation. I may also create one more Lé sample text, as none of the ones I have are from native Lé speakers!

The other missing bit is the writing system... I hate to release them without something on this.

Hurray! So, do we get them soon?

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Christ, it must feel like tending to a nest of baby birds.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

zompist wrote:The other missing bit is the writing system... I hate to release them without something on this.
I'm sure Serali could oblige :P
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

masako
Smeric
Smeric

Post by masako »

bricka wrote:
zompist wrote:The other missing bit is the writing system... I hate to release them without something on this.
I'm sure Serali could oblige
Funny because it's lame.

Mbwa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mbwa »

I guess it's news to me because I don't follow updates closely. But cool, I was looking forward to this one.

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

Ooooooooooh!

I look forward to this immensely! Zompist makes pretty scripties. :mrgreen:

[quote="Zereskaoate"]I am, however a slave to the boingies. [img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/Boingies/th_thsau222jpg-2.gif[/img][/quote]

[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/th_1-1.gif[/img]

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

Looking forward to all this, whenever it's done of course. Honestly I think zomp works pretty quickly, considering the level of detail and completeness!

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

I suppose we'll discover soon enough, but are there any terrestrial sources for the vocabulary of Uy7se and/or Lé?

Also, the Kebreni lexicon lists the word celu as coming from "Belesawa". I assume that is meant to be Lé?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

So Haleza Grise wrote:Also, the Kebreni lexicon lists the word celu as coming from "Belesawa". I assume that is meant to be Lé?
Yes, that was an early attempt at the native name. Forgot about that word; I'd better find out if it's actually there. :)

Atom
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Atom »

Considering theres now a writing sample up for Uyseʔ (which looks really nice by the way), I have a feeling were getting much closer.

Serali
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Serali »

Oh pretty scripty!

I like this alot! Please when you get the chance post the whole syllabary.

Thank you.

What would the Uyseʔ call boingies in their language?

[quote="Zereskaoate"]I am, however a slave to the boingies. [img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/Boingies/th_thsau222jpg-2.gif[/img][/quote]

[img]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x180/Wapo_Gipo_Frogs88/th_1-1.gif[/img]