Obenzayet?

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Obenzayet?

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

Approximately when will the Obenzayet grammar appear online, and can you give me a few words in the language?

tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

What does the strikethrough L mean anyway? /K/, /5/, /L\/? And you once said (I don't remember in what thread) somethind about a velarized /k_G/... What's up with that? Is it Obenzayet or Ubingkayaz?...

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

There's plenty of words on the Proto-Eastern page.

Obenzayet has a series of velarized consonants, including all the stops and l. So ł is just a dark l.

The native name of the language is Ubiŋkayiʔ; the i in the last syllable is laxed and a bit lowered and the k is fronted, even palatalized. This sounded to their neighbors the Curiyans like Obenkyayet, and after a further sound change in Curiyan this sounded to the Verdurians like Obenzayet.

tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

Why is it that it shows up as a simple L when I copy paste it into notepad? Is it struckthrough (is that the right word?) with HTML formatting? I am using Windows 7. How do you type the glottal stop symbol? I am currently using the apostrophe, but underlined. (')

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

zompist wrote:There's plenty of words on the Proto-Eastern page.

Obenzayet has a series of velarized consonants, including all the stops and l. So ł is just a dark l.
Really? No mention of this on the Proto-Eastern page.