Omeguese Religion

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Omeguese Religion

Post by rotting bones »

No iron, weaving or draft animals, but a whole network of monasteries? This isn't impossible, but it certainly seems improbable. Don't the monks cultivate any arts or sciences besides magic, martial arts, assassination and the like? This would set them apart from every major monastic tradition in Eurasia that I can think of. Even Jain monks are supposed to be scholars of literature and the sciences. In between bouts of extreme asceticism and self-torture, they throw themselves into these studies with equal dedication.

BTW, if Meguo means 'beautiful country', then me means beautiful and guo is country, right? America? That's a funny coincidence. Do these resemblances go deeper?
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Note that I do say the monasteries focus on study, and educate the upper class.

At the same time, if you're comparing them to Asian monasteries, remember that Asia has been literate for at least 4000 years, Omeguo for less than 400.

As for 'Meguo', it's not coincidence, but mostly it's more hidden— Western uses a lot of Old Chinese words.

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

zompist wrote:At the same time, if you're comparing them to Asian monasteries, remember that Asia has been literate for at least 4000 years, Omeguo for less than 400.
Okay, but I was wondering if Omeguese monasticism makes significant contributions to national culture besides teaching nobles how to read and write. I'm not aware of any monastic culture, as such, beyond Europe, Asia and Semitic Africa.
zompist wrote:As for 'Meguo', it's not coincidence, but mostly it's more hidden— Western uses a lot of Old Chinese words.
Thanks. It's a coincidence within Almea's internal history.
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates