Pantheism and purity

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Pantheism and purity

Post by rotting bones »

As pantheists, isn't it a bit unusual for the Jippirasti to be so concerned about purity and universal conformity to a single set of rules? Not that all behave in exactly the same way, but don't pantheists and panentheists consider divinity to transcend good and evil, purity and corruption, etc on some level? If the pagan gods are fractured glimpses of Jippir, what about the dark ones who appear evil or impure to the Jippirasti? What is the place of evil in Jippirasti theology, metaphysics and cosmology? Is it essentially the same as, or a consequence of, confusion and/or paradox? Weakness while attempting to obey the all-embracing moral code? All of these at once?

This is almost 5 years late, but good job creating a conlang with a quasi-Semitic grammar, and yet a phonology as close to Dravidian as Uyse7 resembles Sinitic languages.

Disclaimer: Like all my other threads, this is meant to be taken as inarticulate whining, not a well-reasoned criticism of Zompist's work.
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Pantheism and purity

Post by con quesa »

rotting ham wrote: This is almost 5 years late, but good job creating a conlang with a quasi-Semitic grammar, and yet a phonology as close to Dravidian as Uyse7 resembles Sinitic languages.
I don't understand at all how this is even inarticulate whining, let alone criticism. Why shouldn't a conlang work somewhat like Semetic languages morphologically and somewhat like Dravadian languages syntactically?
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

con quesa wrote:Why shouldn't a conlang work somewhat like Semetic languages morphologically and somewhat like Dravadian languages syntactically?
I said I like it.
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

rotting ham wrote:As pantheists, isn't it a bit unusual for the Jippirasti to be so concerned about purity and universal conformity to a single set of rules? Not that all behave in exactly the same way, but don't pantheists and panentheists consider divinity to transcend good and evil, purity and corruption, etc on some level?
They're not pantheists; they believe in one god, Jippir. As Ajažril says, Jippirasti are not fond of paradox and believe that Babur's revelation is simple and direct— Jippir isn't beyond good and evil, but good simply.
If the pagan gods are fractured glimpses of Jippir, what about the dark ones who appear evil or impure to the Jippirasti? What is the place of evil in Jippirasti theology, metaphysics and cosmology? Is it essentially the same as, or a consequence of, confusion and/or paradox? Weakness while attempting to obey the all-embracing moral code? All of these at once?
The concept of evil is istuja, literally uncleanliness. Confusion (igalna) is something different, really not a sin at all, but a mistake.

Jippirasti— except for the Carhinnoi of course— identify the ktuvok empires with Kulig, the strongest and most evil of the spirits; so Gelalhát is certainly considered far worse than any other type of paganism. On the other hand they consider atheism worse than paganism, theoretically even than Gelalhát, which at least acknowledges a spiritual power.

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

Having gone through at least one period of sobriety between then and now, I cannot imagine what I was thinking when I made the opening post, sorry. Hogamous, higamous.