Boardgames

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Boardgames

Post by rotting bones »

Do Erelaeans play chess and the Uytainese aristocrats go? Or are Almean boardgames different from ours?
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

For a moment I thought this thread was going to contain the following question, or one very like it:

"Hey, Zomp, when are you going to bring out the first Almea-themed boardgame?"
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

bulbaquil
Lebom
Lebom

Post by bulbaquil »

Monopoly: Almea Edition!

Fred's Bar is, of course, Boardwalk.

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Civil War Bugle »

I would expect the only way for them to get these games would be through those Greek dudes and did chess or go even exist back then, at least in Greece?

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

Chess was developed around the 6th century AD, but didn't get to Europe until later. In any case, it was much too late for the Elenicoi, who left Earth in 325.

Go had been invented by then, but I think it's unlikely Greeks would have known of it.

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

The Verdurian lexicon references ecunî, from which from Cuêzi ecūni narrûi-to, heroes and kings, which is a chess-like board game.

Whatever the rules may be, I cannot say.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Yes, ecuni is a strategy game something like chess. There's at least one more board game called muyo (Peril), which has an element of luck and thus can be wagered on.

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

zompist wrote:Yes, ecuni is a strategy game something like chess. There's at least one more board game called muyo (Peril), which has an element of luck and thus can be wagered on.
They never bet on contests of pure skill?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

eodrakken wrote:
zompist wrote:Yes, ecuni is a strategy game something like chess. There's at least one more board game called muyo (Peril), which has an element of luck and thus can be wagered on.
They never bet on contests of pure skill?
Well, there's a reason more people bet on roulette than chess. :)

It's not that you can't bet on ecuni. But if you're a gamblin' man, you bet on dice or cards or Muyo (or others).

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

Thanks, what is known about the origins of these games?

I was actually thinking of non-Verdurian boardgames.
zompist wrote:Well, there's a reason more people bet on roulette than chess. :)
Not anymore, you mean.
bricka wrote:"Hey, Zomp, when are you going to bring out the first Almea-themed boardgame?"
Awesome idea. When?
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Boardgames

Post by Legion »

The Greeks may have been able to bring on almea a Table game (eg: Backgammon) which have been around like forever.

Oerjan2
Niš
Niš

Re:

Post by Oerjan2 »

Nancy Blackett wrote:For a moment I thought this thread was going to contain the following question, or one very like it:

FWIW the history of Ereláe* is very well suited to a Britannia-style "waves of conquest" game (though in the Ereláe case most of the invasions come from on-board population expansion and leaders rather than from the off-board areas, and the rules for subjugating other people need to be rather different). I haven't managed to figure out the scoring properly though :(

* As presented in the original Historical Atlas, that is. If Mark revises the history, the game may need revision too...

Regards,

Oerjan

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re:

Post by Rodlox »

Civil War Bugle wrote:I would expect the only way for them to get these games would be through those Greek dudes and did chess or go even exist back then, at least in Greece?
there were board games (at the very least, the Egyptian senet), such as ones that are carved into almost all the marble seats of ampitherteres.
MadBrain is a genius.

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Re: Re:

Rodlox wrote:
Civil War Bugle wrote:I would expect the only way for them to get these games would be through those Greek dudes and did chess or go even exist back then, at least in Greece?
there were board games (at the very least, the Egyptian senet), such as ones that are carved into almost all the marble seats of ampitherteres.
I have heard of senet. Didn't know it was arguably so closely related to chess (just looked at Wikipedia article on it.)

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

Civil War Bugle wrote:
Rodlox wrote:
I have heard of senet. Didn't know it was arguably so closely related to chess (just looked at Wikipedia article on it.)
What, no, it isn't related to chess at all :|

It is related to table games (ie Backgammon).

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Legion wrote:
Civil War Bugle wrote:
Rodlox wrote:

Well then chalk one up to wikipedia being misleading. :)

Legion
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Legion »

Civil War Bugle wrote:
Legion wrote:
Civil War Bugle wrote:
Rodlox wrote:

Well then chalk one up to wikipedia being misleading. :)
The (English) wikipedia article on Senet doesn't mention chess anywhere.

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Legion wrote:The (English) wikipedia article on Senet doesn't mention chess anywhere.
It doesn't say 'chess' but I made the mistake of interpreting some statements it does make in light of the comment I was replying to.

This might be a case of me reading implications into things that may not actually have been implied, but when Rodlox responded to my comment about the age of chess, I took it to mean he thought the two games were related. Then I misinterpreted the wiki article to be saying things that could support that idea. Please excuse my foolishness.

Atom
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Atom »

Oerjan2 wrote:
Nancy Blackett wrote:For a moment I thought this thread was going to contain the following question, or one very like it:

FWIW the history of Ereláe* is very well suited to a Britannia-style "waves of conquest" game (though in the Ereláe case most of the invasions come from on-board population expansion and leaders rather than from the off-board areas, and the rules for subjugating other people need to be rather different). I haven't managed to figure out the scoring properly though :(

* As presented in the original Historical Atlas, that is. If Mark revises the history, the game may need revision too...

Regards,

Oerjan
That would be so awesome! I mean, think about it! Being able to shout, "Ha! That's twenty two points for holding Gurdago this round!"

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

Civil War Bugle wrote:
Legion wrote:The (English) wikipedia article on Senet doesn't mention chess anywhere.
It doesn't say 'chess' but I made the mistake of interpreting some statements it does make in light of the comment I was replying to.

This might be a case of me reading implications into things that may not actually have been implied, but when Rodlox responded to my comment about the age of chess, I took it to mean he thought the two games were related. Then I misinterpreted the wiki article to be saying things that could support that idea. Please excuse my foolishness.
i thought i was responding to a question about board games, and that chess was an easy-to-name example of the category.

my apologies for my confusion and for any confusion I may have inadvertently sown.
MadBrain is a genius.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Boardgames

Post by dhok »

Risk: Almea.

GOD YES.
So we'd have Uytai, Nyan, Eretald, Dhekhnam, Xengiman, Skouras, Lenan, Qaraumia, the Koranax, Rau, the Western Wild, the Barbarian Plain, Uytai, Fananak, Nyan, Pahsau, Belesao, Molosao, etc. as territories.

IT MUST BE MADE.