Axunashin question

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Axunashin question

Post by rotting bones »

How do you say (eg) "How many kings..." in Axunashin? So far, my best guess is "Ji nivei...", but that would normally mean "Which kings/emperor..."
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Ji boyok niveyei?

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

zompist wrote:Ji boyok niveyei?
Thanks, but the lexicon says:
boyok m sum (of money), price [W.]

This usage isn't attested in the corpus either.

PS. Thanks for explicitly confirming (my suspicions about) the plural.
Last edited by rotting bones on Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

In reality, our greatest blessings come to us by way of madness, which indeed is a divine gift. - Socrates

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

rotting ham wrote:
boyok m sum (of money), price [W.]

This usage isn't attested in the corpus either.
It is, actually-- it's used in The Cheating Skourene.

It's true the lexicon is misleading (and I'll correct that at some point). But note that the Wede:i word also meant 'sum', and a derivative means 'sum' in Xurnese.

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

zompist wrote:It is, actually-- it's used in The Cheating Skourene.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the word boyok is used three times on the page. The first two occurrences are unambiguously glossed as "price", while the final example "Ji boyok dei?" follows the same syntactic format as "Ji ende..?" Here, boyok obviously signifies "sum (of money)", the other meaning listed in the lexicon.

However, I hadn't checked Wede:i and Xurnese, which was a mistake considering Wede:i doubles Axunashin's basic vocabulary. (boat, &c)

Anyway, thanks for clearing up the matter. :)

PS. I had searched the Wede:i lexicon for "number" and "quantity", mind you, just not "boyok" or "sum". :roll:

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

rotting ham wrote:
who're you going to believe - the lexicon or the creator?

:? :wink:
MadBrain is a genius.

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

Rodlox wrote:who're you going to believe - the lexicon or the creator?
Excuse me, extreme insomnia is messing up my phrasing. This usage is now, of course, attested in canon.

PS. Shit, and I also meant to say it's not obvious from the examples "Ji boyok" can be used in the same way as "Ji ende X", not that it IS used in this manner.

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

rotting ham wrote:
Rodlox wrote:who're you going to believe - the lexicon or the creator?
Excuse me, extreme insomnia is messing up my phrasing.
apologies; i was trying (attempting) to inject humor.
MadBrain is a genius.

rotting bones
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by rotting bones »

Rodlox wrote:apologies; i was trying (attempting) to inject humor.
Sorry, so was I. (at first)

:mrgreen:

Owain
Niš
Niš

Post by Owain »

Looked at the cheating skourene out of interest and couldn't understand the answer.