Occupation

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Occupation

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Something occasionally strikes me about the Munkhashi occupation of the Plain: it doesn't seem to have influenced Cadhinorian culture/mores/language all that much. The religious influence is clear, but I think the Cadhinorians must have been a very ghettoised population to avoid having taken on *any* cultural attributes from the invasion. But I suppose the Ottoman occupation of Greece provides something of a counter-example, even though there is obvious Turkish influence on modern Greek culture and language.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

That was the one with the Ktuvoki, right? I imagine they went out of their way to expel any influences from the occupation they could find, at least if they regarded the Ktuvoki as demons. From what I have read, though, the Ktuvoki had a very different way of life than humans and the Uesti may not have picked up their culture very easily to begin with.
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Thing is though that ktuvoks are scarce; i doubt many would have lived permanently in the plain at all. Munkhash was largely run day-to-day by humans, or at least so I assume. We seem to know less about its interrnal operations than that of Dhekhnam.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Some roughly comparable models might be the Spanish Reconquista, or the Chinese expulsion of various foreign dynasties. The victors don't seem to have been greatly affected by the occupation and had cultural reasons to minimize it.

It's also worth emphasizing that Cadhinorian culture derives from the victors, people defined by hundreds of years of slow reconquest. The culture directly under Munkhashi occupation was undoubtedly different.

As I'm working on Munkhashi now, I may have more to add on this soon.