Translation challenge... for me

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Translation challenge... for me

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Ok so dawlo is the 1st Verdurian/Cadhinorian loanword I've found. . . I can't find the one mentioned in the sentence above!
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

From here where you can see the gloss:

Ok jók ek því er mér varð síðan kunnara, ok nú er gørr sagt á þessi en á þeirri.

And whatever is misstated in these histories, it should later be necessary to have that instead which should prove more correct.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

eodrakken wrote:"I can't even find an empty container to put give-away food in."
Pwokh çirush tloruth wigo nedabla at boghnêdhiw lith nikla, bogemor wêyga çinnadeghogh.
find.D can.D.not not.at.least I.resp container one empty-act.part for in-put.D food away-give-pass.part

I kind of like the word tloruth. Tlôth is ‘at least’, as in “At least I survived”. Tloruth is its negation— I couldn’t even do that.

I'm not sure what give-away food is, so I translated it literally— food that's given away. (Wêyga literally means ‘bread’.)

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Post by eodrakken »

zompist wrote:I'm not sure what give-away food is, so I translated it literally— food that's given away. (Wêyga literally means ‘bread’.)
Yes, food to be given away is what was meant in the original context. I'm looking forward to seeing this grammar. :)
Tirase | Iŋomœ (Akana)

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Neon Fox wrote:"Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
Gabaruth kthe gnêdhiw zh mebidziw zh widêndo kath bodêç nomla penath dadwasha dzan pupluw zh benichwo dzan nyukhta;
be.E.past.not hole nasty-act.part and dirty-act.part and little-wet-adj being fill.E that.thing using pl-tip of pl-worm and odor of slime

Gabaruth zhdosh kthe kshezhiw zh mêtloro zh tsigaro, zhidhiw pwashila kath zhwath zh dhef ghish tlôyno;
be.E.past.not also hole dry-act.part and scaly and sand-adj having nothing being sit.E or eat.E can.E someone

Gabath kthe dzan tsôthno zhmin bzhêth nikla tlôkhmo.
be.E.past hole of dwarf moreover lead.E that.idea comfort

Somehow this needed a lot of new words. Mêtloro is literally ‘scaly’ but is used for bare, hairless things... a very positive value for Dhekhnami, though here used more neutrally. Tlôkhmo ‘comfort’ is a semantic extension of ‘ease’.

There’s no hobbits on Almea, so I just used the word for ‘dwarf’, not to be confused with tênkano ‘elcar’, literally ‘ice-man’.

catberry
Sanci
Sanci

Post by catberry »

Are you still accepting sentences? If so:

He, in a rare burst of good thinking that quickly subsided, brained the undead monstrosity with a golf club [you can replace with staff or somesuch] and ran shrieking off into the nearby woods.
You killed yourself. By waving a scientist around.
-is female-

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

jmcd wrote:Ok jók ek því er mér varð síðan kunnara, ok nú er gørr sagt á þessi en á þeirri.
and have.added I that what me happen later clearer and now happen fuller deals with that or this
Note— the translation from that page is actually this:
I have added what later became more clear to me, and it now deals more fully with this or that story.

Shnegemobar wigo nomla kath medzibar mêgle çir wigo; zhmin beth botêghiw shêdhiw kshêç nomla wa tsôyla.
add.D.past I.resp that.thing being incep-clear.E.past later to I.resp / moreover speak.E full-act.part exceed-act.part mention this.near.thing or that.far.thing

I'm up to 1030 words, so I feel much better about the vocabulary (and the syntax; I've been adding notes as new things come up).

Lyanna
Niš
Niš

Post by Lyanna »

If you are still accepting sentences, how about:

"As for marrying her off, I say the sooner the better."
[i]Exits, pursued by a bear.[/i]

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

zompist wrote:
Delthayre wrote:The vituperative judge arranged for the Bard to be burned to ash at the stake for vigorously raping his wife.
Genebam oshujyosh khyagashiw nikla, gwadôth sifno penath wêtla çir tsatwe denish shombebaç pekso dzan shono.
order.D.past judge berate-act.part this.idea burn.E.fut sing-man using pole to ash because rape.E.past he.inf wife of he.D

The ambiguity couldn't be preserved— it has to be pekso dzan shono 'the wife of him.D' referring to the judge, or pekso dzan zono 'the wife of him.E' referring to the bard. I chose the first but the second could certainly be used (though it would sound very odd to the Dhekhnami— sex with an inferior adult is not a crime).

It may amuse people to find Verdurian cognates... there's been a few, including one in this sentence.
Does oshujyosh come from sud or sudir?

Also: izgeche seems to be from izgečë, which I take to be the Verdurian word for footnote.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

So Haleza Grise wrote:Does oshujyosh come from sud or sudir?
Close; shujyosh ‘court’ comes from Cadhinor sudros. The initial o- (Mun. ul- which is found in a few words in ”A Munkhâshi life”) means ‘lord’; thus ‘lord of the court.’
Also: izgeche seems to be from izgečë, which I take to be the Verdurian word for footnote.
Yep!

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

Try these two.
I.
As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where was a Den, and I laid me down in that place to sleep: and, as I slept, I dreamed a dream. I dreamed, and behold, I saw a man clothed with rags, standing in a certain place, with his face from his own house, a book in his hand, and a great burden upon his back. I looked, and saw him open the book, and read therein; and, as he read, he wept, and trembled; and, not being able longer to contain, he brake out with a lamentable cry, saying, "What shall I do?"
II.
With my thoughts recollected I turned to examine the face of my physician. I turned my eyes and fixed my gaze upon her, and I saw that it was my nurse in whose house I had been cared for since my youth - Philosophy. I asked her why she had come down from the heights of heaven to my lonely place of banishment.
"Is it to suffer false accusation along with me?" I asked.
"Why, my child," she replied, "should I desert you? Why should I not share your labour and the burden you have been saddled with because of the hatred of my name? Should I be frightened by being accused? Or cower in fear as if it were something unprecedented? This is hardly the first time wisdom has been threatened with danger by the forces of evil."

zelos
Sanci
Sanci

Post by zelos »

Lets try a classical if it hasnt come up:
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here
Another victory like this and I shall lose the war
Defend yourself when the enemy is as strongest and attack when he is as weakest

jmcd
Smeric
Smeric

Post by jmcd »

zompist wrote:
jmcd wrote:Ok jók ek því er mér varð síðan kunnara, ok nú er gørr sagt á þessi en á þeirri.
and have.added I that what me happen later clearer and now happen fuller deals with that or this
Note— the translation from that page is actually this:
I have added what later became more clear to me, and it now deals more fully with this or that story.

Shnegemobar wigo nomla kath medzibar mêgle çir wigo; zhmin beth botêghiw shêdhiw kshêç nomla wa tsôyla.
add.D.past I.resp that.thing being incep-clear.E.past later to I.resp / moreover speak.E full-act.part exceed-act.part mention this.near.thing or that.far.thing

I'm up to 1030 words, so I feel much better about the vocabulary (and the syntax; I've been adding notes as new things come up).
Oops sorry. I had meant to paste "En hvatki er missagt er í frœðum þessum, þá er skylt at hafa þat heldr er sannara reynisk." instead. I was too rushed apparently.

Rodlox
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rodlox »

if new sentances are permitted... "The flight of the (marine) iguana." or "The song of the dodo."
(i imagine they would borrow ktukok names for island animals)

bulbaquil wrote:
GreenBowTie wrote:Maybe a little Earth-centric, but "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."
You can't translate that into Dhekhnami of all languages! It's tripleplusungood crimethink! The ktuvok overlords would never accept it!
why not? surely there's a word for..."granted more leeway by the grace of the ktuvok" or somesuch.

EDIT: Zompist beat me to it.
MadBrain is a genius.

Civil War Bugle
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Civil War Bugle »

The Ktuvok grabbed the magnet from the street person's* hand and replaced it in the compass casing.

*In the sense of crazy homeless guy. Feel free to replace this with a cultural equivalent.

Zortzi
Niš
Niš

Post by Zortzi »

There are certainly a lot of sentences already on the ZBB...but I think Althusser has some very challenging ones for you to translate:
I shall call Ideological State Apparatuses a certain number of realities
which present themselves to the immediate observer in the form of distinct
and specialized institutions.
Is it necessary to add that this determination of the double ‘functioning’
(predominantly, secondarily) by repression and by ideology, according to
whether it is a matter of the (Repressive) State Apparatus or the Ideological
State Apparatuses, makes it clear that very subtle explicit or tacit
combinations may be woven from the interplay of the (Repressive) State
Apparatus and the Ideological State Apparatuses?
Whereas the (Repressive) State Apparatus constitutes an organized whole
whose different parts are centralized beneath a commanding unity, that
of the politics of class struggle applied by the political
representatives of the ruling classes in possession of State power, the
Ideological State Apparatuses are multiple, distinct, ‘relatively
autonomous’ and capable of providing an objective field to
contradictions which express, in forms which may be limited or extreme,
the effects of the clashes between the capitalist class struggle and
the proletarian class struggle, as well as their subordinate forms.
By this I mean that, even if it only appears under this name (the subject)
with the rise of bourgeois ideology, above all with the rise of legal
ideology, the category of the subject (which may function under other
names: e.g., as the soul in Plato, as God, etc.) is the constitutive category
of all ideology, whatever its determination (regional or class) and whatever
its historical date – since ideology has no history.
One more...
In the interaction of this double constitution exists the functioning of all
ideology, ideology being nothing but its functioning in the material forms of
existence of that functioning.
負けないで ほらそこに
ゴール近づいてる
April is the cruellest month, but luckily it's May.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

III.
I will call no being good who is not what I mean when I apply that epithet to my fellow creatures, and if such a being can sentence me to hell for not so calling him, then to hell I will go.
IIIb. That's what I call standing up for your beliefs.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Lyanna wrote:"As for marrying her off, I say the sooner the better."
Kshêç ôspek zozho, pôggadôth zhêdôth, mets shêv wigo.
mention.D make-marry.D she.inf / early-be.E.fut exceed.E.fut / good.E authority.of I.resp

This shows off a couple of syntactic constructions: the topicalizer kshêç (which can take an NP or a clause as its object), and the comparative conditional— "The more X the more Y" is translated "If it will exceed in X, then it's Y".

I think I have enough sentences... I'll try to get to the remaining ones. Thanks for everyone who's submitted one!

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Mornche Geddick wrote:As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where was a Den, and I laid me down in that place to sleep: and, as I slept, I dreamed a dream. I dreamed, and behold, I saw a man clothed with rags, standing in a certain place, with his face from his own house, a book in his hand, and a great burden upon his back. I looked, and saw him open the book, and read therein; and, as he read, he wept, and trembled; and, not being able longer to contain, he brake out with a lamentable cry, saying, "What shall I do?"
Pôkwe kath siban bo gnejiw dzan namshe mim, kshubath wigo çir tsen at kath dzabaw nyagla, zhmin mepwêbaf dzideshiw wigo lith rikwo; zhmin kshêç ribaç, boplibaç.
that.far.time being walk.D.past in wilderness of world this / came.D.past I.resp to place one being exist.E.past hide-place / moreover incep-lie.D.past there.near I.resp for sleeping / moreover mention sleep.D.past / dream.D.past

Boplibaç wigo, zhmin demabaf ôydemaf dzôthno zhidhiw ziw shkêviw, kath jabaf bo tsen at, zhidhiw bwêçna çin rêgh dzan zono, zhidhiw ibwo bo aŋŋa zh denatwo genoghiw rush lakhte.
dream.D.past I.resp / moreover see.D.past imper-see man with clothes torn-act.part being stand.E.past in place one / with face away house of he.inf / with book in hand and weight large-act.part on back

Shnedemabaf wigo nikla, begiban zono ibwo zh bwêbaç bo zozh; zhmin kshêç bwêbaç dzabash zh gzhabaf zono.
watch.D.past I.resp this.idea / open.E.past he.inf book and read.E.past in it / moreover mention read.E.past cry.E.past and shiver.E.past he.inf

Zhmin nedabaruf meghibarush, medzajabash shedweroniw zono zh glêbath nikla, “Tlash bodôw bigo?”
moreover hold.E.past.not incep-know.E.past.not / incep-bawl.E.past miserable-act.part he.inf and say.E.past this.idea / what do.E.fut I.inf

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Zelos wrote:Abandon all hope, ye who enter here
Ghimpadôn wighyitwo she, kebá bododhiw bigoshiw!
discard.E.fut.past dim-want every / you.pl.inf enter-act.part here
Another victory like this and I shall lose the war
Gwatwo tlim nêsh mimla, çirga mwôdôkh wigo gzhimi.
victory other like this.thing then lose.D.fut I.resp war
Defend yourself when the enemy is as strongest and attack when he is as weakest
Ôspoth rôkhni mêgle kath mon zhêth tlôv, zhmin tlath mêgle kath gwôsh zhêth zono.
protect.D guts there being strong.E exceed.E enemy / moreover attack.D there being weak.E exceed.E he.inf

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Civil War Bugle wrote:The Ktuvok grabbed the magnet from the street person's* hand and replaced it in the compass casing.
Çintawaf godat chêkhyith çin aŋŋa dzan ŋêthno, zhmin zoŋgemowar shono bo nedabla dzan tsaydesh.
away-take.B.past ktuvok magnet from hand of useless-man / moreover back-put.B.past he.resp it in container of compass

Chêkhyith ‘magnet’ is ‘wants south’; ŋêthno is a good-for-nothing, literally ‘whitey’ as ‘white’ has connotations of uselessness or poverty; tsaydesh ‘compass’ is a borrowing from Tžuro.

Note that Mr. Ktuvok gets the B conjugations.