Cyroman

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Cyroman

Post by hwhatting »

Some proofreading:
Numbers are punctuation are the same in both source alphabets,
You probaly mean "Numbers and punctuation".
брать /bratʲ/ ‘brother’
брать means "take", "brother" is брат.

Nice idea!

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Cyroman

Post by zompist »

Thanks, fixed!

WeepingElf
Smeric
Smeric

Post by WeepingElf »

That ROCKS! The letters are indeed quite recognizable; also, they remind me of the typographic ludibria found in Douglas R. Hofstadter's books.
...brought to you by the Weeping Elf
Tha cvastam émi cvastam santham amal phelsa. -- Friedrich Schiller
ESTAR-3SG:P human-OBJ only human-OBJ true-OBJ REL-LOC play-3SG:A

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

It's an impressive trick: I always thought of it as "backwards R sounds like ya" but reworking the stroke order makes the similarity clear. Likewise for adding the bar to gamma. There might be some confusion between sha and double-U (Wawington), but I think fonts can clarify that.

I must admit I struggled with the name's pronunciation: [ˈsi ɹə mæːn] or something was my first guess before realizing that [sɪ ˈɹɪ lɪk] and [ˈɹoʊ mən] so it must be [sɪ ˈɹoʊ mən] with the stress in the right place for both.

(I also thought Incatena was [ˌɪŋ kə̥ ˈteɪ nə] like <incantation> at first...)

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

hito wrote:It's an impressive trick: I always thought of it as "backwards R sounds like ya" but reworking the stroke order makes the similarity clear. Likewise for adding the bar to gamma. There might be some confusion between sha and double-U (Wawington), but I think fonts can clarify that.

I must admit I struggled with the name's pronunciation: [ˈsi ɹə mæːn] or something was my first guess before realizing that [sɪ ˈɹɪ lɪk] and [ˈɹoʊ mən] so it must be [sɪ ˈɹoʊ mən] with the stress in the right place for both.

(I also thought Incatena was [ˌɪŋ kə̥ ˈteɪ nə] like <incantation> at first...)
You...have...a schwa...in the second syllable?

WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO

it's [æ].
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Drydic Guy wrote:WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO
Apparently it has come to lack of reading comprehension. "Thought ... was ... at first" is past tense. If you read elsewhere, you'll see he explains it's [ɪŋ ˈkæː tɨ nə] or some such. Note the stress placement. This is the present tense against which that past tense contrasts.

If you're referring to how I pronounce <incantation>, which I never specified, and which you've never heard, note the "like." Like means "similar to," not "identical to." <Incatena> is missing <incantation>'s middle <n>, for one, which reduces the second syllable to ... well, not much, if it's unstressed. Yes, I did write a devoiced schwa. I'm sure there's another vowel hiding under there, if only it were stressed...

Mecislau
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mecislau »

Why is "союз советских" used as an example next to things that actually make sense? It seems weird to have, alongside normal ideas like "Tolstoi" or "Moskva", to have an incomplete thought meaning "Union of Soviet [somethings]".

Also, what is this "дъйа" = /dja/ thing? That sort of spelling is absolutely impermissable in Russian; it looks like it comes out of some Caucasian language. The syllable /d(ʲ)ja/ can be written in two ways: either дья (morpheme-internally) or дъя (if the -d and ja- belong to different morphemes).

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

hito wrote:If you're referring to how I pronounce <incantation>, which I never specified, and which you've never heard, note the "like." Like means "similar to," not "identical to." <Incatena> is missing <incantation>'s middle <n>, for one, which reduces the second syllable to ... well, not much, if it's unstressed. Yes, I did write a devoiced schwa. I'm sure there's another vowel hiding under there, if only it were stressed...
See, that's what I'm talking about. It's not stressed to be sure, but everywhere I've heard it it's [In.kæn.teIS.n=] (syllable breaks might be off, never been my strong suit,,,also the initial can frequently be schwa)...maybe with the [æ] being slightly centralised. Maybe.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Mecislau wrote:Why is "союз советских" used as an example next to things that actually make sense?
It's the first two words of "USSR", but I changed it so as not to confuse people.
Also, what is this "дъйа" = /dja/ thing?
Also changed; thanks!

Miekko
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Miekko »

I find using the grapheme corresponding to /ts)/ in the translitteration of Chicago kind of weird, spontaneously I'd expect a K there instead? (I am not entirely against it, e.g. Polish permits <c> pro /k/ in loans, but not even all Latin-alphabet languages do that.)

< Cev> My people we use cars. I come from a very proud car culture-- every part of the car is used, nothing goes to waste. When my people first saw the car, generations ago, we called it šuŋka wakaŋ-- meaning "automated mobile".

Aurora Rossa
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Aurora Rossa »

Interesting concept. Any particular reason they combine both Roman and Cyrillic letters?
"There was a particular car I soon came to think of as distinctly St. Louis-ish: a gigantic white S.U.V. with a W. bumper sticker on it for George W. Bush."

Nortaneous
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by Nortaneous »

hito wrote:There might be some confusion between sha and double-U (Wawington), but I think fonts can clarify that.
It's probably possible to change the Cyrillic-only letters to match up with Roman letters: Image

...Now is there a way to make <q> look more like Cyrillic ka?
Siöö jandeng raiglin zåbei tandiüłåd;
nää džunnfin kukuch vklaivei sivei tåd.
Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei. Chei.

Bob Johnson
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Bob Johnson »

Miekko wrote:I find using the grapheme corresponding to /ts)/ in the translitteration of Chicago kind of weird, spontaneously I'd expect a K there instead?
You might be more bothered by using the new tse in <Huck Finn>. As zompist says, this is an alphabet, not spelling reform, so it's just a way to cut down on the number of glyphs you need to learn to write both English and Russian.

In fact, it might be something like monolinguals in Canada using the same alphabet to signify different sounds in their respective languages. They don't necessarily communicate with each other in writing, but if someone wants to learn, they don't have to pick up an entire set of glyphs to do so.