Verdurian names

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
linguoboy
Sanno
Sanno

Re: Verdurian names

Post by linguoboy »

I'm not so hot on my patronymic, but I really like the sound of "Desicorey" as a surname.

Rui
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Rui »

Mine would be Fsëro Peorei ???

I put Peorei even though I don't think that's technically right. My dad's first name was Freddie by means of Federico, not by means of Frederic, but I figured they were similar enough that it would be fine.

I have no idea what my last name means. It's Filipino (Tagalog, specifically) in origin, but I can't seem to find an etymology for it. There's nothing here (my name is there, but there's no information next to it). How would Verdurian people feel about borrowing family names? There aren't even any in the list of family names listed that *sound* remotely similar to mine, except possibly Anëtey

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

A foreign name is OK, but it has to be mangled to fit Verdurian phonology and, more important, limits on declension. For males, it has to end in a consonant, -o, -u, -a, or -y.

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

I believed I settled for Nicolo Bracepüei Ešternacey (Cadhinorizing "Roger", though I think I prefer Róžerei.

linguofreak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by linguofreak »

Zompist, could http://www.zompist.com/names.htm#Eleniki be converted to use Unicode? I know that it gives the encoding scheme for browsers that "can't handle" Symbol, but nowadays, browsers are starting to *actively refuse* to handle Symbol, apparently in order to convince people to use Unicode on their sites instead (Opera goes so far as to not display it *at all*, Firefox 4 displays it as Latin text). So now it's more a matter of "won't" than "can't".

I've actually re-encoded most of the Greek names into Unicode myself, using an online converter, but I did a bit of error checking as I copied stuff into the converter, and threw a few out that I couldn't figure out, and did some uncertain corrections on some others. (There were places where the Greek/Symbol and Old Verdurian transcriptions seem to have been mixed in typing, such as "Řegoro [Gregorio, Gřgorios]")

I can send what I've done to you by whatever means/format you wish for proofreading and transcription of the names I gave up on.

------------------------------------------

Also, on a side note, (much less important as browsers aren't actively refusing to use the font in question), my Dad, who works for the relevant department at SIL, has told me that the SIL-IPA font has been deprecated, and that Doulos SIL or Charis SIL should be used instead (both are Unicode fonts).

There's a conversion utility available too (though I've never used it myself) for converting SIL-IPA to Unicode.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

OK, done.

I modified my rtf-to-html converter for this; since the original Word document represented the breathing marks as separate symbols, I didn't use the single Unicode points for these. It should still be clear what they are though.