Cuezi feminine nouns: irregular?

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Exez
Sanci
Sanci

Cuezi feminine nouns: irregular?

Post by Exez »

I am forcing myself in a mental exercise, such as memorizing the declinations of Cuezi ;)

While I had not much trouble learning masculine and neuter (one exception was usoluco whereas I'd expect usolco), the feminine nouns seem mostly illogical to my poor mind :oops:

Nouns in -a decline perfectly regularly, however the rest are a real pain. I can't understand why 'aure' goes like: aure-aurē-aureē-aurinu-auredi-aurelu. Why aurinu and not *aurenu?

Another problem is in the plural: while feminine instr ends in -lu, the pl. instr of aure is aurē-co as if it was a masculine noun, being an anomaly among the etêialu etêiēlu aurelu and êdālu.

And the final challenge is êdi, which forms the s. instr. in -iu instead of -ilu. The pE instr. ending was -ru which evolved as -lu in Cuezi, but it seems that when the pE form was -iru, the intervocalic 'r' disappeared.

I understand that some of them are results of sound-change mechanics but I am curious if a typing mistake slipped Zompist's attention; specifically I am a bit skeptical about 'aurēco'; for the life of me I can't even guess why it's not 'aurēlu', as it should.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Cuezi feminine nouns: irregular?

Post by zompist »

Exez wrote:Nouns in -a decline perfectly regularly, however the rest are a real pain. I can't understand why 'aure' goes like: aure-aurē-aureē-aurinu-auredi-aurelu. Why aurinu and not *aurenu?
That's a sound change— raising of an unstressed vowels before a nasal.
Another problem is in the plural: while feminine instr ends in -lu, the pl. instr of aure is aurē-co as if it was a masculine noun, being an anomaly among the etêialu etêiēlu aurelu and êdālu.

And the final challenge is êdi, which forms the s. instr. in -iu instead of -ilu. The pE instr. ending was -ru which evolved as -lu in Cuezi, but it seems that when the pE form was -iru, the intervocalic 'r' disappeared.
At the risk of annoying Philip Newton, I'll give you these... they're not typos but I can't reconstruct the reasons for them and the -co, especially, looks wrong. So you can go with aurēlu and êdilu.

Exez
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Exez »

zompist wrote: That's a sound change— raising of an unstressed vowels before a nasal
Now you mention it, how stress works in Cuezi?
At the risk of annoying Philip Newton, I'll give you these... they're not typos but I can't reconstruct the reasons for them and the -co, especially, looks wrong. So you can go with aurēlu and êdilu.
Philip who?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Exez wrote:
zompist wrote: That's a sound change— raising of an unstressed vowels before a nasal
Now you mention it, how stress works in Cuezi?
Follow the pitch rules instead. A word with [1] pitch can be considered unstressed, but don't overdo it (the vowels don't change in quality).
Philip who?
Philip can be considered the world's second leading Almeologist. :) He wrote conjugation utilities for a number of Almean languages, translated a Bible text, and is one of the few people who was able to catch typos in the Caďinor-alphabet portions of the Caďinor grammar.