Southern Eretald Dialects

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Southern Eretald Dialects

Post by brandrinn »

I've always wondered, and with the new map I guess now is a good time to ask, are there any distinct languages in the Central sub-family in the southern part of the plain? I mean, is it just "Verdurian" all the way down, or do places like Curiya and Viminia have their own languages? If not, how much dialectal variation is there? How solid is the linguistic border between Obenzayet and the rest of the plain?
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

tezcatlip0ca
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Southern Eretald Dialects

Post by tezcatlip0ca »

It's still the Verdurian language, mutually intelligible with Mazhtane, but each with their peculiarities, for example, the Viminians are known for pronouncing their /l/s as [w].
The Conlanger Formerly Known As Aiďos

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

There's some information on dialects in the Verdurian grammar. In general, the farther you get from the Ctesifon-Verduria axis, the odder the dialects. Some of the southern dialects are fairly difficult for Verdurians.

It's worth remembering that all of Eretald isn't much bigger than France.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Ah, I see. So basically Soa Sfahe isn't Verdurian per se. It's basically Eretaldian or Neo-Cadhinorian or something, and "Verdurian" is the dominant dialect.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

brandrinn wrote:Ah, I see. So basically Soa Sfahe isn't Verdurian per se. It's basically Eretaldian or Neo-Cadhinorian or something, and "Verdurian" is the dominant dialect.
In the sense that "English" isn't English.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I'm not sure what distinction you're making, brandrinn. 'Verdurian' is my term for the language (verdúry řon is used, but sounds scholarly). The dialect is Mažtane.

A good terrestrial parallel might be German circa 1750, a language that wasn't clearly 'owned' by any one state, but was spoken over a wide range of large and small states.