Historical atlas redone

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Re: Historical atlas redone

Post by Izambri »

dhokarena56 wrote:I'd get one... but I'd be more interested in a large poster of Ereláe, with all the country labels in Verdurian, if that sounds like a fun project. That'd be awesome, and I think people would buy one.
Oh, a large poster would be awesome. Printed on both sides with my two most favorite maps from Virtual Verduria:

Only that I would add more names of cities, regions, geography... (both in Latin and Verdurian letters) as well as some major roads and constructions to them.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

Herra Ratatoskr
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

A Google maps style atlas of Verduria would be kind of cool too (impractical to build, maybe, but cool nonetheless).
I am Ratatosk, Norse Squirrel of Strife!

There are 10 types of people in this world:
-Those who understand binary
-Those who don't

Mater tua circeta ibat et pater tuus sambucorum olficiebat!

con quesa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by con quesa »

Aiďos wrote:Beacuse at the time of the writing of the atlas, Ereláe was the only area of Almea that had been developed fully...
Well, yes, but isn't this redoing an excellent time to update the name? I don't think any of McEvedy's books ever claimed to be the historical atlas of Earth. I don't mean to be terribly critical, this isn't a huge point or anything, but it strikes me that "The Historical Atlas of Almea" is a title more suited for something that is a historical atlas of all of Almea, rather than just one of the two most important continental areas.
con quesa- firm believer in the right of Spanish cheese to be female if she so chooses

"There's nothing inherently different between knowing who Venusaur is and knowing who Lady Macbeth is" -Xephyr

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Declan wrote:The maps are nice, and the information looks really comprehensive, but I have to agree with some of the layout issues. Perhaps you could fit things better if the text was running down the side of a map, with the links below the map? Then it's possible to have more shorter lines which are easier and more comfortable to read than a handful of long lines?
I second this suggestion. Also, using frames in general feels very 1996. I wish you could limit the measure (ie. the width of each line of type) to something more managable (65 characters per line is generally regarded by typographers as gold). If you move the text to the side of the maps, this could work.

If I had been designing this, I would have had no frames, each page would be one whole. The map and the links would each be in a fixed div that wouldn't scroll, and the type in another that did, preferably on the side.

Design aside, the content is amazing. I'll be reading it over time once the semester is over. Only three more days!
vec

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Declan wrote:The maps are nice, and the information looks really comprehensive, but I have to agree with some of the layout issues. Perhaps you could fit things better if the text was running down the side of a map, with the links below the map? Then it's possible to have more shorter lines which are easier and more comfortable to read than a handful of long lines?
Please no. text goes below the image.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Drydic Guy wrote:
Please no. text goes below the image.
At least give the text's measure some restraint. Put it in a div and give it a max-width of 40 em, about 65 characters. In order to fit links, images and text on my screen, I need to have the browser in full screen mode. This gives me intolerably long lines of text. Maybe it's just the graphic designer in me, but I'm sure others would appreciate it.
vec

Lyhoko Leaci
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Lyhoko Leaci »

But I like long lines of text!

Maybe put the links under the map?
Zain pazitovcor, sio? Sio, tovcor.
You can't read that, right? Yes, it says that.
Shinali Sishi wrote:"Have I spoken unclearly? I meant electric catfish not electric onions."

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

They drive me up a wall. The board does it, too. As the browser window resizes, so does the text. It's very hard for the eye to find the following line with such ridiculous measures.
vec

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

I'm flabbergasted that so many people are in favor of long lines of text that can only be displayed one or two at a time. Meanwhile, there is oodles of space to the right of the maps that isn't being used at all. It seems like a no-brainer to me to put the text to the right, and put the links beneath the image, timeline style. I'd much rather read the text on the side than scroll one line at a time.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

Update: I figured how to link to the year text, but not the map.

finlay
Sumerul
Sumerul

Post by finlay »

I never maximise my browser window because it always gives huge long lines.

I think you should make it a bit more like the layout for the Arcél one that's on your wiki. Frames also make my brain hurt.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

brandrinn wrote:I'm flabbergasted that so many people are in favor of long lines of text that can only be displayed one or two at a time. Meanwhile, there is oodles of space to the right of the maps that isn't being used at all. It seems like a no-brainer to me to put the text to the right, and put the links beneath the image, timeline style. I'd much rather read the text on the side than scroll one line at a time.
Hint: some of us don't use a screen the size of a soda can.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Drydic Guy wrote:
brandrinn wrote:I'm flabbergasted that so many people are in favor of long lines of text that can only be displayed one or two at a time. Meanwhile, there is oodles of space to the right of the maps that isn't being used at all. It seems like a no-brainer to me to put the text to the right, and put the links beneath the image, timeline style. I'd much rather read the text on the side than scroll one line at a time.
Hint: some of us don't use a screen the size of a soda can.
I am so tired of this crap. I'm using a 15.4" screen, totally normal size. Actually a little big by laptop standards. But even for me the text feels restricted. I honestly can't think of a single reason why anyone wouldn't want the text on the side rather than the bottom. It's far more comfortable to read. Plus, that's how the Penguin atlases Zompist loves so much did it: map on one page, text on the facing page.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

Declan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Declan »

I'm also astounded that people would prefer long lines. In any web design I've ever done, I've always limited the length of lines. I find that if a paragraph only takes up two or three lines, not only can I not skim the text if necessary, but I find it hard to follow too.
[quote]Great wit and madness near abide, and fine a line their bounds divide.[/quote]

linguofreak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by linguofreak »

brandrinn wrote:I am so tired of this crap. I'm using a 15.4" screen, totally normal size. Actually a little big by laptop standards. But even for me the text feels restricted. I honestly can't think of a single reason why anyone wouldn't want the text on the side rather than the bottom. It's far more comfortable to read. Plus, that's how the Penguin atlases Zompist loves so much did it: map on one page, text on the facing page.
On a traditional 4:3 screen, text on the bottom is probably preferable. For a 16:9 screen, it's not so great.

I also generally hate frames, but I will concede that they help keep the map in view no matter where you are in the text, and I'm not sure what would be better than frames as far as that's concerned.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

linguofreak wrote:I also generally hate frames, but I will concede that they help keep the map in view no matter where you are in the text, and I'm not sure what would be better than frames as far as that's concerned.
If the question is "what is better than frames," then there are many answers. But the real question is "what is better than frames that Zompist is actually willing to do?" A clickable map where you can click on different regions to get a brief rundown of what's going on at that time, which would fit easily onto one page in most cases without requiring any scrolling, would be great. But that's a lot of work. A vector map where you can zoom into certain regions to see the text you want would also be awesome, but again, too much work. The frames are workable, and as such they will persist, but if we let our imagination run wild, there are lots of superior alternatives.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

One advantage of my structure is that it takes only some minor tweaks to rearrange. So, there is now the option to display the commentary to the right of the maps rather than below.

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

zompist wrote:One advantage of my structure is that it takes only some minor tweaks to rearrange. So, there is now the option to display the commentary to the right of the maps rather than below.
I take back everything I said about frames!

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Of course, had CSS been used, it would allow the same kind of rearrangement, but I'll take what I can get!
vec

Mr. Z
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mr. Z »

Nice. The design is better, because there's more room for text, and I don't miss lines anymore. I also really like the information in the beginning, about the war, of which there was very little information until now (as far as I know). One question about the content, though: why did everybody lose civilization after the Iliu - Ktuvok Wars?
Přemysl wrote:
Kereb wrote:they are nerdissimus inter nerdes
Oh god, we truly are nerdy. My first instinct was "why didn't he just use sunt and have it all in Latin?".
Languages I speak fluently
English, עברית

Languages I am studying
العربية, 日本語

Conlangs
Athonian

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Are frames even necessary anymore? I somehow feel this can be done entirely with stylesheets.

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

Nicely done. The new maps look really nice (Been doing something similar for my conworld, but I simply cannot get mountains looking that good)

The new position of Gurdagor (And the Chia Sha and Mgunkipe) is the only thing that hit me as seeming 'wierd' compared to my last read of the old atlas. I know it fits for climate reasons, but it seems a bit odd from a strategic point of view. You would have thought the peninsular would have been better for control of costal routes (But then Gurdagor does seem to hold the islands off the tip which works as well)

Also, 3480 - Obenzaya has no southern border marked any more. Considering the nature of that state not sure if it is deliberate or not.
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

Warmaster wrote:The new position of Gurdagor (And the Chia Sha and Mgunkipe) is the only thing that hit me as seeming 'wierd' compared to my last read of the old atlas. I know it fits for climate reasons, but it seems a bit odd from a strategic point of view. You would have thought the peninsular would have been better for control of costal routes
By that logic, Tierra Del Fuego should've been the center of the world for, like, three hundred years. But it's really not that far from Gurdago to the cape. And besides, if they're sending boats all the way to Skouras, what's a few extra nautical miles?

Corumayas
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Corumayas »

I have two minor problems with the interface; neither one is serious, they're just slightly inconvenient. First, clicking the right arrow from the title page takes me to the terrain page, skipping the intro; to read the intro I have to go forward, then back. Second, using the browser's back arrow goes back to the previous page of text but doesn't change the map. I remember the old atlas worked the same way, and I'm guessing it's an unavoidable consequence of the frames setup? It's easy enough to use the arrow links instead, but sometimes I forget and then it's kinda disorienting.

I'm enjoying reading it though! I'd probably buy a book version (and definitely a poster-sized map).
Hüwryaasûr, priestess of the four hegemons, wrote:Ryunshurshuroshan, the floating lizard

Akana Wiki | Akana Forum

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

Just a note (Not sure if it is my browser or generally - I'm using Opera) Clicking on the Almeopedia links in the commentary is garbling them and i'm just ending up with something like Mëranac for Mëranac
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben