Historical atlas redone

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Historical atlas redone

Post by zompist »

I'm not sure how to fix the Almeopedia links with special characters... that trick used to work!

If you want to move to a particular page, you can now use a URL of this form:

http://www.zompist.com/atlas/index.html?page=3410

(If you forget the parameter, hit the ? button.)
Corumayas wrote:I have two minor problems with the interface; neither one is serious, they're just slightly inconvenient. First, clicking the right arrow from the title page takes me to the terrain page, skipping the intro; to read the intro I have to go forward, then back.
Fixed.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

zompist wrote:http://www.zompist.com/atlas/index.html?page=3410

(If you forget the parameter, hit the ? button.)
Thanks!

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

Regardless of the location of the text the date section takes up a lot of screen, especially on a netbook. Maybe you could minimize it somehow?

brandrinn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by brandrinn »

patiku wrote:Regardless of the location of the text the date section takes up a lot of screen, especially on a netbook. Maybe you could minimize it somehow?
This would be great.
[quote="Nortaneous"]Is South Africa better off now than it was a few decades ago?[/quote]

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Could one of you post a screenshot of what the laptop screen looks like, with the smaller maps? I don't have a good idea of how much space I have to work with.

Exez
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Exez »

I don't know if this is related to the redoing of the Atlas, but the Cuzei .gif map has disappeared from the Cuezi grammar

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

zompist wrote:Could one of you post a screenshot of what the laptop screen looks like, with the smaller maps? I don't have a good idea of how much space I have to work with.
I am on a netbook with a 10'' screen, so my experience might be a little extreme.

text on the bottom

text on the side

The side text setting might have improved since I last looked? Maybe you've already improved it?

When the map is large The text on the bottom doesn't appear at all.

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

Just a random query from a look through the atlas: In the 2620c map, Ornakh in Demoshimor is marked as a blue city (50,000 pop) - however in the 3480c map, it is again blue (60,000) I know the Munkhashi/Dekhenkami don't generally like cities, but I would have thought that the capital would have grown rather more once the empire/trade grew?
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

linguofreak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by linguofreak »

I'm wondering if you really needed to move Gurdago. While Ruxun is certainly going to be dry because of rain shadowing, the south polar sea on Almea is much less landlocked than our arctic ocean, and the planet is smaller. These two factors are going to conspire to make heat transport between the equator and pole easier, which in turn is going to warm the pole up and cool the equator. Ruxun is right about where the tundra line would be on Earth, but that line would be further poleward on Almea (I'm not sure exactly how much further, but I've run some simulations that suggest at least 5 or 10 degrees of latitude).

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

It could be that currents and weather played as large a or a larger part in Gurdago's move as the tundra line did.
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

You can blame brandrinn, who objected for years to Gurdago's location. And yes, it's a matter of the prevailing winds and currents... Luduyn itself is going to block currents from the west, and Skouras will get any from the east.

linguofreak
Lebom
Lebom

Post by linguofreak »

zompist wrote:You can blame brandrinn, who objected for years to Gurdago's location. And yes, it's a matter of the prevailing winds and currents... Luduyn itself is going to block currents from the west, and Skouras will get any from the east.
Even without direct influence from warm currents it will still be warmer than the same latitude on Earth, because atmospheric and oceanic circulation will keep the entire polar region warmer. While the current headed up the East coast of Erelae won't benefit Ruxun directly, all the warm currents (and winds) arriving in the polar region will retain more warmth for a given starting temperature, not having traveled as far as they would on Earth, and the polar sea will have more warm currents feeding into it than our Arctic ocean. Likewise, cold currents arriving in the tropics won't have traveled as far either, and will remain colder, which will make the tropics cooler than ours.

dhok
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by dhok »

Doesn't the lack of any polar landmasses tend to make for a warmer world?

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

linguofreak wrote:
zompist wrote:You can blame brandrinn, who objected for years to Gurdago's location. And yes, it's a matter of the prevailing winds and currents... Luduyn itself is going to block currents from the west, and Skouras will get any from the east.
Even without direct influence from warm currents it will still be warmer than the same latitude on Earth, because atmospheric and oceanic circulation will keep the entire polar region warmer. While the current headed up the East coast of Erelae won't benefit Ruxun directly, all the warm currents (and winds) arriving in the polar region will retain more warmth for a given starting temperature, not having traveled as far as they would on Earth, and the polar sea will have more warm currents feeding into it than our Arctic ocean. Likewise, cold currents arriving in the tropics won't have traveled as far either, and will remain colder, which will make the tropics cooler than ours.
So it's Trondheim not Murmansk

Gotcha
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.