Question on the Zone of Fire

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Re: Question on the Zone of Fire

Post by Pthagnar »

what if i have really fucking huge heatsinks strapped to me?

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

Uh, because it doesn't actually make any heat, it just causes burn-like symptoms on living things. Read the wiki!

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

okay so i take huge doses of anti-cytokine and anti-inflammatory drugs

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Doesn't work.

Cause?

MAGIC!
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

he ruined that one ages ago by starting to explain shit. now the cat is out of the bag.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Pthug wrote:he ruined that one ages ago by starting to explain shit. now the cat is out of the bag.

SILENCE!

MAGIC!
Image Image

Pthagnar
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Pthagnar »

that's what i'm trying to say!

vec
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by vec »

Pthug wrote:he ruined that one ages ago by starting to explain shit. now the cat is out of the bag.
Almea has explainable aspects and unexplainable aspects. The Zone of Fire is one of the latter.
vec

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

There are other positions besides "magic is technology" and "magic is inscrutable". From a conworlding point of view, magic doesn't need to be treated as a pseudo-technology, so long as it's not used as a cheat. E.g. we don't know why the Ring can only be destroyed in Mt. Doom, but at least Tolkien is consistent about it and doesn't introduce an alternative partway through.

Maybe you think the Ring could be destroyed by antimatter. But that's an unanswerable question as the Fellowship had none available.

On the other hand, it's fair to question why eagles can fly hobbits out of Mordor but not fly them into it.

I've tried to create a consistent description of the Zone of Fire, but I don't see that it's necessary or useful to worry about things that don't exist on Almea. (If they ever did-- e.g. if I advanced Almean history 500 years-- then of course I'd work out the implications.)

Mashmakhan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Mashmakhan »

zompist wrote:On the other hand, it's fair to question why eagles can fly hobbits out of Mordor but not fly them into it.
Maybe they are afraid of Mordor, and will only fly into it when they know very well what they are looking for and where to find it?

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

Mashmakhan wrote:
zompist wrote:On the other hand, it's fair to question why eagles can fly hobbits out of Mordor but not fly them into it.
Maybe they are afraid of Mordor, and will only fly into it when they know very well what they are looking for and where to find it?
Mount Doom (it's a huge volcano).

alice
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by alice »

JRRT surely thought of this, and I suspect his answer would be something like "two hobbits sneaking into Mordor by themselves are far less likely to be noticed than two hobbits being carried by large birds".
Zompist's Markov generator wrote:it was labelled" orange marmalade," but that is unutterably hideous.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

True. After all the Nazgûl were on air patrol after Rivendell. And somehow I think their mounts were the equal of the eagles.
Image Image

Neon Fox
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Neon Fox »

Sadly, the answer to that one is "Tolkien didn't think of it". But there are all sorts of other reasons it wouldn't have worked if it had been tried, starting with flying Ringwraiths.

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

It's pretty plain to me. The eagles couldn't go in except by air, so they couldn't go in undercover. Even without airborne Ringwraiths, Sauron was certainly capable of shooting down eagles in the air by lightning bolts. His powers were much greater than Gandalf's or Saruman's. He was able to "torture and destroy the very hills" and blast the entire realm of the Entwives. And those three mountain ranges around his country look suspiciously artificial to me.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Mornche Geddick wrote:It's pretty plain to me. The eagles couldn't go in except by air, so they couldn't go in undercover. Even without airborne Ringwraiths, Sauron was certainly capable of shooting down eagles in the air by lightning bolts. His powers were much greater than Gandalf's or Saruman's. He was able to "torture and destroy the very hills" and blast the entire realm of the Entwives. And those three mountain ranges around his country look suspiciously artificial to me.
Take a look at the Atlas of Middle-Earth some time. The mountains of Mordor actually aren't that out of wack considering the upheavals after the sinking of Beleriand. It actually probably used to be the Inland Sea of Helcar.
Image Image

Mornche Geddick
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Mornche Geddick »

Not on the scale of the map that I could see on page 5. The Inland Sea of Helcar looks a great deal too large. The Iron Mountains, the Misty Mountains, the Great River (Anduin) and Greenwood the Great (Mirkwood) are all visible and Mordor was about one-third to half the size of Mirkwood. On that map, Mordor's eventual location would be partly on the western shore and partly over the water. The Sea of Nurnen might be a remnant of a lost or shrunken Helcar, and so might the sea of Rhun, into which the River Running flows.

What makes me think the mountains of Mordor are artificial is that they have formed in an exact C-shape enclosing it. That is not like any other mountain range on Middle Earth. But it is very like what Sauron would have wanted for his international borders.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Mornche Geddick wrote:Not on the scale of the map that I could see on page 5. The Inland Sea of Helcar looks a great deal too large. The Iron Mountains, the Misty Mountains, the Great River (Anduin) and Greenwood the Great (Mirkwood) are all visible and Mordor was about one-third to half the size of Mirkwood. On that map, Mordor's eventual location would be partly on the western shore and partly over the water. The Sea of Nurnen might be a remnant of a lost or shrunken Helcar, and so might the sea of Rhûn, into which the River Running flows.

What makes me think the mountains of Mordor are artificial is that they have formed in an exact C-shape enclosing it. That is not like any other mountain range on Middle Earth. But it is very like what Sauron would have wanted for his international borders.
You have a point. The only thing that gives me pause is that the only ones who have the power to raise mountains are the Valar (and Morgoth). And even they seem to actually build them (the elves passed giant quarries below the Pelóri on their ways to/from Valinor) rather than magic them into being. We don't know how Sauron's power compares to theirs, 'cause our only half-measures of it are the statements that Sauron 'was only less evil in that he was long in service to another', and that, concerning Lórien, 'there dwelt a power too great to vanquish save Sauron himself coming there' (paraphrased slightly), which are maddeningly vague.
Image Image

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

Back to topic...
Drydic Guy wrote:Doesn't work.

Cause?

MAGIC!
Zompist himself says a plane would probably be the best way to get across, and a fast ship the next best. Doing it over land on foot is obviously ill-advised and as far as I can tell, the worst way.

Personally, I've never liked "magic" and try to figure out ways to explain the Zone non-magically (as in the wiki's discussion section); my favorite is a radioactive ring (as in, Saturn-type ring) that fell to Almea. It could be kept radioactive by magic, surely. Oh well... :?

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

One Ring, To Rule Them All...
Image Image

patiku
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by patiku »

What is a "radioactive ring"? Saturn's rings are made of ice.

BGMan
Lebom
Lebom

Post by BGMan »

patiku wrote:What is a "radioactive ring"? Saturn's rings are made of ice.
A ring made out of some highly radioactive material. Uranium and thorium would not do; it would have to be something like plutonium, polonium, radium, cobalt-60, etc. that leaked out of orbit and deposited itself on the surface of Almea. Since rings orbit around a planet's equator, it would get deposited on Almea's equator. Anything approaching the equator would get zapped, as if they were walking into Chernobyl or Fukushima. Plutonium, for example - specifically Pu-239, the most commonly-made isotope - can stay highly radioactive for tens of thousands of years.

So how would this happen? Maybe the ktuvoks had a huge nuclear-powered space station orbiting over the equator, that was blown up by the ilii thousands of years ago. Nuclear fission would have seemed as powerful as the stars, even if strictly that's nuclear fusion. :wink: The pieces of the blown-up space station, including tons of plutonium, made a ring that eventually settled onto Almea's equator. The events got scrambled and ended up as the legend of Obondosiu's star and Soxaeco.

It's kinda dumb, I know, but invoking magic to smooth around the edges of things could always be invoked.

Salmoneus
Sanno
Sanno

Post by Salmoneus »

Drydic Guy wrote:
Mornche Geddick wrote:Not on the scale of the map that I could see on page 5. The Inland Sea of Helcar looks a great deal too large. The Iron Mountains, the Misty Mountains, the Great River (Anduin) and Greenwood the Great (Mirkwood) are all visible and Mordor was about one-third to half the size of Mirkwood. On that map, Mordor's eventual location would be partly on the western shore and partly over the water. The Sea of Nurnen might be a remnant of a lost or shrunken Helcar, and so might the sea of Rhûn, into which the River Running flows.

You have a point. The only thing that gives me pause is that the only ones who have the power to raise mountains are the Valar (and Morgoth). And even they seem to actually build them (the elves passed giant quarries below the Pelóri on their ways to/from Valinor) rather than magic them into being. We don't know how Sauron's power compares to theirs, 'cause our only half-measures of it are the statements that Sauron 'was only less evil in that he was long in service to another', and that, concerning Lórien, 'there dwelt a power too great to vanquish save Sauron himself coming there' (paraphrased slightly), which are maddeningly vague.
Sauron, let's remember, took centuries just to build Barad-dur. I don't see him throwing up three mountain ranges in double-quick time. And we're explicitly told that Shelob lived in Mordor before Sauron arived.

In the early accounts, and in the Atlas of Middle Earth, Mordor and the seas of Rhun and Nurnen are all part of the land where Helcar was. Mordor on this account would have been created either by Morgoth when messing around with stuff, or in the general cataclysm following his defeat. However, later sketches show Mordor and the sea of Rhun being around a lot earlier.
Blog: [url]http://vacuouswastrel.wordpress.com/[/url]

But the river tripped on her by and by, lapping
as though her heart was brook: Why, why, why! Weh, O weh
I'se so silly to be flowing but I no canna stay!

Izambri
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Izambri »

According to AME, which gives a geological explanation, Mordor could have been formed during the destruction of the Iron Mountains, due to a woldwide [crust] raising in the region of Palisor, where the Great Gulf partially absorbed the waters of the Inland Sea of Helcar. Mordor mountains would have grown rapidly due to the exterme volcanic phenomenon in the region.
Un llapis mai dibuixa sense una mà.

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Salmoneus wrote: Sauron, let's remember, took centuries just to build Barad-dur.
It bothers me that he managed to whip the place up again, without the ring, stronger than ever, in Bilbo's lifetime.
Duxirti petivevoumu tinaya to tiei šuniš muruvax ulivatimi naya to šizeni.