Cadhinor names (and spelling)

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Exez
Sanci
Sanci

Cadhinor names (and spelling)

Post by Exez »

I attempted to translate the names of the Cadhinorian rulers at http://www.almeopedia.com/Caďinorian_rulers but I failed to find the meaning of several elements. :)

For example, what is the origin of the element er- in Erbelaica, and what is the suffix -vileas in several of the names?

As for bes- in Besclaies, my guess was a short form of 'baesos' but if so, it is the only name were ae is reduced to e. Unless of course Erbelaica stands for *Aerbelaica.

Prigediset seems to mean 'evil-hate(er)' if analyzed as priges+disan, but I am not aware of an ending -et.

Strangely, the name Kehadau is in the Cadhinor Lexicon but no meaning is given, and has no recognizable elements. :D Other names such as Caeva, Amatos, Aknavar seem to not be Cadhinor.

And a spelling note: the Almeopedia list makes use of the letter 'ĥ' (h with ^ circumflex) as in the name Oĥocuerdos. However the Cadhinor Lexicon makes use of the letter 'ȟ' (h with ˇ caron). Which one is preferable?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Re: Cadhinor names (and spelling)

Post by zompist »

Some of those are a bit strange, yes... probably a few are in error. (Er- and bes- should probably be aer- and baeso-. Maybe some of those names are Kahinisa...) On a meta level, some of these names date back to before Caďinor was worked out. Someday we'll learn where names like Keadau come from. :)

I'm not quite sure what I had in mind for the ending in Prigediset, though the Ver. form suggest that I intended a plural. The meaning you found is right though.

The second root in Ervëa's name is veha- 'love'; see the Almeopedia article on him for an explanation.

For the spelling, ȟ is preferred.