probable errors in the PE page (Cuezi)

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
Exez
Sanci
Sanci

probable errors in the PE page (Cuezi)

Post by Exez »

I found several Cuezi words in the PE derivations table which do not correspond exactly to the Cuezi lexicon, or are missing.

The words I found so far are:

lake: aēti (āeti in lexicon)
river: yēore (yeōre in lexicon)
vomit: xupuê (no such word or 'vomit' in the lexicon)
weak: rîsi (no such word in the lexicon; the word for weak is given as pitue, which is from the PE root for 'little')
dig: kusan (certainly an error, since it doesn't fit PE to Cuezi evolution; 'dig' is xûtâ in lexicon)

Exez
Sanci
Sanci

Re: probable errors in the PE page (Cuezi)

Post by Exez »

What? no reply still? aw :oops:

Anyway here is another (somehow relevant) question: the Cadhinor lexicon contains a word derived from Cuezi 'biboduos' (chaos, pre-creation). I can't find that word, or anything similar, in the Cuezi lexicon. The only recognizable Cuezi element is the prefix bi- 'before'. What is the etymology of the word, and what is its actual Cuezi form?

hwhatting
Smeric
Smeric

Post by hwhatting »

Exez wrote:Anyway here is another (somehow relevant) question: the Cadhinor lexicon contains a word derived from Cuezi 'biboduos' (chaos, pre-creation). I can't find that word, or anything similar, in the Cuezi lexicon. The only recognizable Cuezi element is the prefix bi- 'before'. What is the etymology of the word, and what is its actual Cuezi form?
The root element is probablu the adj. bodê "full". As per the Cuezi grammar, the negative is formed as follows:
Un-: bi- + root + -uo (or just -o after another suffix):
creyê eat --> bicreguo inedible
tolê bear --> bitoluo unbearable
nūmicolê pious --> binūmicolo impious
rēne count --> birēnuo uncountable

So we get an adj. biboduo "(un-full=) incomplete". Accordingly, biboduos looks like a zero-nominalisation "incompleteness, non-fullness".

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I forgot about this topic. The Proto-Eastern page has been corrected, and I updated the Cuêzi lexicon to include the two dozen or so words that were missing. (I generally add words to my own files and update the html when I think of it.)

Hans-Werner is right about the etymology, except that Cadh. -os replaces Cuêzi -as, so the Cuêzi form is biboduas.

Exez
Sanci
Sanci

Post by Exez »

Good work Zompist... although I noticed that you accidentally deleted the wordlists of Caizu and Curiyan.

An a question for some other words... Cadhinor oisireica. Can it be from oizisi 'steal' and reica 'flow'? Another one is tauos translated as 'goodness' but in this one i can't find any Cuezian root. The other is tefalu 'horn' and the only relevant Cuezi word I found is the name Tefalu Doro 'mountain hollow'

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

I'm not sure how ōisīreca got left out of the lexicon, but it's ōi 'away' + sīra 'body' (plus a nominalizer)— thus 'unfleshliness'.

It looks like I intended tauos to be Cuêzi but yes, it doesn't have a root. Probably not Cuêzi after all.

Hmm, not sure what was going on with tefalu. It's certainly not a direct borrowing as Cuêzi has a different word for horn (rogas). I'll have to think about that.