What's next

Questions or discussions about Almea or Verduria-- also the Incatena. Also good for postings in Almean languages.
zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

What's next

Post by zompist »

The current answer to this perennial question... what I'm working on right now is the Flaidish grammar. It keeps changing on me, as I find new ideas or see how previous ones play out. In some ways it's very much like English; in other ways very much not.

Before it's done I may revise and post the Cu?zi grammar. Writing the Count of Years was very healthy for its lexicon; the grammar is really unchanged, but I haven't thoroughly read it in years and the text needs going over.

Other possibilities: finish the detailed map of Arc?l; continue on the Almeopedia; go back to the biology project; write a story set in the Almean present; finish the long-delayed chapters on Xurnese religions. Feel free to push something you're curious about; it may or may not influence me...

eodrakken
Lebom
Lebom

Re: What's next

Post by eodrakken »

For what it's worth, I'm most interested in the map of Arcel. I love maps, and yours are always quite nice.

Iscun
Lebom
Lebom

Re: What's next

Post by Iscun »

eodrakken wrote:For what it's worth, I'm most interested in the map of Arcel. I love maps, and yours are always quite nice.
I second that. Ever since I came upon Almea I've wanted to know what the other continents are like. The map of Arc?l should be the next project!

And the Flaidish grammar should be right after that. :)

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

My problem, I'm afraid, is that every single one of the projects you listed is of intense interest to me! It seems as though Flaidish and Cuezi will probably be first; I'm OK with that (I've looked at the Cuezi grammar available on the site already). I can add my vote to a map of Arcel as well.

If I can add another vote to that, I'd really, really love to see the Xurnese religions. :wink:

p@,
Glenn

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Well it's quite a tough choice, but I seem to be tending for the Flaidish grammar. Elkaril was quite intriguing for me; I felt like it sort of gave Almea a new dimension. I know that Flaidish isn't quite so alien (but it's funny!), but still, it's a bit of an undiscovered country.

The reason I'm favouring it over Arcel is that some of the work's already done . . . so this means we'll get more stuff sooner ;), and Mark can have time to develop his ideas.

But hey, whatever! At the risk of sounding cliched, I'll be happy with whatever we get. . .

Neek
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Neek »

Tside with the gray fighter over here on the situation, I just can't get enough of Mark's work. Jesus, I hate to sound like a praising Zompist-fanboy, but damnit, I can't! (if an otaku is obsessed with Japanese culture and entertainment, then what is one who obsesses over Almea called?, of course, other than that Zompist fanboy and -girl.)

Ran
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Ran »

One more vote for Arcel!

I can't wait to go back to the days of checking every week for updates. :P
Winter is coming

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Well, a Cu?zi grammar is probably coming soon... I haven't really thought about Arc?l... personally I'd root for more on the Axuna?in/Xurn??~Xurnese, religion or no. Flaidish could be fun...
One question though: Do you have much on the Western/Somoyi-Methelyi languages?
Image Image
Common Zein Scratchpad & other Stuffs! OMG AN ACTUAL CONPOST WTFBBQ

Formerly known as Drydic.

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

ranskaldan wrote: I can't wait to go back to the days of checking every week for updates. :P
That's so fun! It drives my parents crazy!
Image Image

zipola
Niš
Niš

My wishes

Post by zipola »

Priority number opne should be the Cu?zi grammar.
Really, I've been waiting for it.

After that... Do what you feel is right. I would be surprised anyway.
Homunculi voment!

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

On the topic of Flaidish...It has occurred to me that the Flaidish grammar, like that of Elkaril, will likely be accompanied by a brief ethnographic sketch (if that's the right word) on the Flaids and their culture.

It'll be interesting to see what's become of the culture that began with Jeerio and Twain... :wink:

p@,
Glenn

Thomas Winwood
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Thomas Winwood »

Personally, I'd like to see a Xurnash grammatical sketch. Not the religion. The language.

Though a map of Arcel and/or Nan wouldn't go amiss.

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

Speaking of flaids... how is <flaid> pronounced?

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Jaaaaaa wrote:Speaking of flaids... how is <flaid> pronounced?
It rhymes with "plaid".

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

I was RIGHT! Thanks!

So it sounds like <flayed>?

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

Hmm... Personally, I pronouce "plaid" to rhyme with <glad>, i.e., with the "a" in "cat."

(Although I confess that I've been saying "flaid" as <flayed> myself, which I now suspect is incorrect, especially after a glance at the Verdurian.)

p@,
Glenn

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Jaaaaaa wrote:I was RIGHT! Thanks!

Whoops, no, one of us talks funny...

For me, "flayed" has an /e/, and rhymes with "raid", "made", "weighed".

"Plaid" (and "flaid") have /&/ as in 'cat', and rhyme with "fad", "sad", "glad".

So Haleza Grise
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by So Haleza Grise »

Glenn Kempf wrote:Hmm... Personally, I pronouce "plaid" to rhyme with <glad>, i.e., with the "a" in "cat."

(Although I confess that I've been saying "flaid" as <flayed> myself, which I now suspect is incorrect, especially after a glance at the Verdurian.)

p@,
Glenn
Yeah, according to the Verdurians, it sounds like they pronounce it to rhyme with "glad" - I would have suspected the Sfahinisation to be "fledh" or "fleidh"

Glenn
Avisaru
Avisaru

Post by Glenn »

So Haleza Grise wrote:Yeah, according to the Verdurians, it sounds like they pronounce it to rhyme with "glad" - I would have suspected the Sfahinisation to be "fledh" or "fleidh"
Congratulations on coming up with the word "Sfahinisation"--I think I like it even better than "Almeological". :)

p@,
Glenn

Jaaaaaa
Lebom
Lebom

Post by Jaaaaaa »

zompist wrote:
Jaaaaaa wrote:I was RIGHT! Thanks!

Whoops, no, one of us talks funny...

For me, "flayed" has an /e/, and rhymes with "raid", "made", "weighed".

"Plaid" (and "flaid") have /&/ as in 'cat', and rhyme with "fad", "sad", "glad".
Ah. Durn you Zomp, now I have to consciously change my Instinctive Spelling of the word! :D

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

I would say the cuezi grammar, as every time i try and get the old one my computer locks up! and i would like to see that to tie it all with the proto-eastern work.

otherwise, flaidish? but if you are on a role with something, go with it, if you struggle, leave it, works for me :D

by the way, why can't i get the count of year to work properly, half the letters look like gobeeldegook {Still cant spell}
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

Warmaster
Lebom
Lebom
Location: Somewhere far beyond your reality (Exeter, England)

Post by Warmaster »

Whey! i just became a horselord! I can go an get a part as an extra for the battle of pelennor fields :D {Damn, why am i three years late????}
Don't worry Girls, Explosions fix everything!

He who is also known as Ben

zompist
Boardlord
Boardlord

Post by zompist »

Warmaster wrote:by the way, why can't i get the count of year to work properly, half the letters look like gobeeldegook
You probably have an older computer system that doesn't have a robust enough Unicode font. What operating system and browser are you using?

insumaro
Sanci
Sanci

Post by insumaro »

Whoa, you have an old version of the Cuezi grammar? Link, please!

Personally, I'd like to agree with XinuX 100%. I'd LOVE to see a Xurnese grammar of the language. I imagine that it is dissimilar to Verdurian and its related tongues? I'm sure that it would cause as much of a stir in these boards as your most recent project, Elkaril. Also, I'd like to see a new Cuezi and Flaidish grammar. (As you can see, I'm big on grammars, and I especially like the way you set yours up, zompist; they're very easy to follow.)

Just my two cents,

pentekonter

Drydic
Smeric
Smeric

Post by Drydic »

Pentekonter wrote:Whoa, you have an old version of the Cuezi grammar? Link, please!
here it is. It also has a linguistically balanced Cadhinor grammar. And I'll add a vote for Xurn??.
Also, are you (Mark) planning on using Unicode anywhere else? Perhaps, writing the newer ones in Unicode, and switching the others along the way? Or was it just for the Cir?ma?
Image Image